I'm about to buy the LG Optimus 2x... Does anyone have any complaints about the handset?

Guest alcap

Guest alcap

Hey there,

I'm moving on from an Acer Liquid to the Optimus 2x, and I just want to know if you guys have run into any issues with the handset that were not clear when you watched/read reviews. That happened to me with the Acer Liquid and I'm hoping it won't happen again.

So, is the handset fast as advertised, even if running tons of apps at the same time? What about I/O? Can it stand it's ground when you're doing heavy I/O operations?

Thanks

Guest Rusty!

It's fast all right.

The stock ROM is pretty bad, but I suspect you'd not be here if you planned on keeping it :unsure:

Guest jon.m.knight

The only complaint I have is that the call quality is awful. Annoys me each time I take / make a call - it's only slightly better with the April radio update; I'm hoping that future revisions of the baseband will sort this out..

That's my only gripe so far. There's (as ever) debates about battery life, but so far haven't been affected. Battery life for me has actually exceeded my expectiations.

Yeah, as mentioned above - the LG Stock ROM is awful, if I were a general consumer who didn't know about custom ROM's I'd have probably returned it by now.

Ah, also - there's no microHDMI adapter bundled in with the O2X box, so that's a fiver extra if you're intent on hooking it up to your TV.

Also, bear in mind that most of the 'main' crew (chris soyas, kmobs, cyanogen himself) from CM have this handset now it's going to get a lot of love in regards to dev time.

P.S - performance on this is awesome (FR15 anyhoo), although saying that - I'm coming from a HTC Hero..

Guest sebsal

Even though I love the phone, some of them can be a buggy nightmare. My first handset shut itself down every single time I charged it. It would randomly re-boot several times a day. Loads of people are having this problem. Check the XDA forum.

My replacement handset is fine and doesn't have these problems but it's definitely something you should take into consideration

Guest alcap
Even though I love the phone, some of them can be a buggy nightmare. My first handset shut itself down every single time I charged it. It would randomly re-boot several times a day. Loads of people are having this problem. Check the XDA forum.

My replacement handset is fine and doesn't have these problems but it's definitely something you should take into consideration

Was the problem solved when you applied a custom rom?

Guest Reckoner123
Was the problem solved when you applied a custom rom?

Problem for me became less reboots/shut downs but it still does it, mostly on charge. I still love the phone though.

Guest jon.m.knight
What are your complains with the stock rom?

Also, I heard about the light leakage problem... Has it been fixed?

The stock ROM by LG's admission themselves was pretty rushed (presumably to pointlessly enter the guinness book of records for dual core). As such things were not done as efficiently as they could have been. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't slow or *that* buggy by any stretch of the imagination but it became apparent what a bad job LG had done as soon as you flash any custom rom. The performance gains were (in my opinion) quite noticable.

Guest mintvilla
The only complaint I have is that the call quality is awful. Annoys me each time I take / make a call - it's only slightly better with the April radio update; I'm hoping that future revisions of the baseband will sort this out..

That's my only gripe so far. There's (as ever) debates about battery life, but so far haven't been affected. Battery life for me has actually exceeded my expectiations.

Yeah, as mentioned above - the LG Stock ROM is awful, if I were a general consumer who didn't know about custom ROM's I'd have probably returned it by now.

Ah, also - there's no microHDMI adapter bundled in with the O2X box, so that's a fiver extra if you're intent on hooking it up to your TV.

Also, bear in mind that most of the 'main' crew (chris soyas, kmobs, cyanogen himself) from CM have this handset now it's going to get a lot of love in regards to dev time.

P.S - performance on this is awesome (FR15 anyhoo), although saying that - I'm coming from a HTC Hero..

Theres a thread over at xda about the micro hdmi cable, i got my phone from phones4u and they bundle in a cable, apparently carphonewarhouse dont bundle in a cable, as apparently its up to the retailer to supply these or summin? that is assuming your buying in britain lol just to let you know.

TBH i my G/F was due a phone, but she wanted to keep her htc desire, wasnt bothered about an upgrade, i was all set to get the desire s, when they released cm7 first nightly and since i had cm7 on my desire, that made me change my mind, i wanted somthing with the tegra2 anyway as it seems to be 2011's processor of choice and a bunch of top quality games have come out for it, and are optimised for it. CM7 has been out a week and its already up to build11 and things are going pretty well. I know the stock rom is bad, all the reviews of the phone said it, but the thing that made me get interested in this phone was the reviews for the g2x, which got greta reviews, which confirmed it for me that the lg software is rubbish, stock android makes this phone probaly the best phone out there, amazing camera, 1080p video recording, dual core tegra 2, and fantastic touchscreen controls (anyone whos had a desire or nexus1 will know the benefits of this) overall, i love this phone, the CM team just need a few more weeks to get the CM RC out then it will be perfect.

Guest raf2k

For me this phone is a joke of the year.

On the + side: Design & Ergonomy, Screen, Performance in games, look of the GUI, battery life (about 36-39h with push mail and facebook synch)

On the - side: Very poor cell reception, horrible phone call quality in 2G, GPS locks fast, but sometimes accuracy is about 300m, laggy GUI, mp3 ringtones are very quite and its easy to miss phonecalls. Backlight bleeding.

Its my second unit. The first one was DOA

My advice is: Do NOT buy this phone!

P.S Im on stock ROM.

Guest sebsal
For me this phone is a joke of the year.

On the + side: Design & Ergonomy, Screen, Performance in games, look of the GUI, battery life (about 36-39h with push mail and facebook synch)

On the - side: Very poor cell reception, horrible phone call quality in 2G, GPS locks fast, but sometimes accuracy is about 300m, laggy GUI, mp3 ringtones are very quite and its easy to miss phonecalls. Backlight bleeding.

Its my second unit. The first one was DOA

My advice is: Do NOT buy this phone!

P.S Im on stock ROM.

I agree. If I had the chance i'd get something else.

Guest jon.m.knight

I think that the vast majority of issues anyone has with the handset is basically due to LG's poor implementation of the O/S & Kernel. Devs such as Paul are doing their best to address them.

You do have to bear in mind that this likely to be the flagship tegra 2 phone for quite some time; with that in mind it's likely to recieve a LOT of love (from people like Paul, CM, from T-Mobile (porting g2x?) & Nvidia - but not specifically LG).

In my opinion it was rushed to get out there and saturate the market. It's ceratainly that (rushed) and from what I can gather sales figures are pretty good. Things definately will get better but for 'out of the box' use it's pretty bad. I certainly woudn't have even considered getting this handset on the premise that I had to stick with LG's version of things.

Guest goatee

Even though I'm suffering from the black screens of death, and very disappointed with LG and their lack of response, out of the box, it's still a decent phone. My wife has hated my previous Android phones (T-Mobile Pulse, HTC Hero, Orange San-Francisco), but liked this one so much the day I got mine, that she ordered one too. The screen is excellent, camera reasonable, it's fast (even if not as fast as it could be, but part of that is because Android isn't optimised for dual-core CPUs), and has a useful HDMI output (useful for when travelling as I can load video on it, and then hook up to the TV in hotel rooms, or even simply giant Angry Birds :) ).

Even with its foibles, it's one of the best Android handsets out there right now, and for that I can forgive it :unsure:.

Guest alcap
Even though I'm suffering from the black screens of death, and very disappointed with LG and their lack of response, out of the box, it's still a decent phone. My wife has hated my previous Android phones (T-Mobile Pulse, HTC Hero, Orange San-Francisco), but liked this one so much the day I got mine, that she ordered one too. The screen is excellent, camera reasonable, it's fast (even if not as fast as it could be, but part of that is because Android isn't optimised for dual-core CPUs), and has a useful HDMI output (useful for when travelling as I can load video on it, and then hook up to the TV in hotel rooms, or even simply giant Angry Birds :) ).

Even with its foibles, it's one of the best Android handsets out there right now, and for that I can forgive it :unsure:.

Which black screens of death are you referring to? Can you elaborate?

Guest goatee
Which black screens of death are you referring to? Can you elaborate?

Every so often it crashes, and even though it's turned on, nothing can wake it up, and so you have to pull out the battery to reboot (which is only ~40 secs!). Not sure what causes the issue, but even so, I'm actually loving this phone. I have no problems with call quality etc - my ONLY gripe is the amount of rubbish LG install (which I've removed as root), and the crashes.

Edited by goatee

Guest mintvilla
Every so often it crashes, and even though it's turned on, nothing can wake it up, and so you have to pull out the battery to reboot (which is only ~40 secs!). Not sure what causes the issue, but even so, I'm actually loving this phone. I have no problems with call quality etc - my ONLY gripe is the amount of rubbish LG install (which I've removed as root), and the crashes.

havent had any bsod since cm10 for me.

Guest alcap
havent had any bsod since cm10 for me.

What's cm10? Also, which custom rom is better? Is everything working as advertised on the custom roms?

Guest mintvilla
What's cm10? Also, which custom rom is better? Is everything working as advertised on the custom roms?

cm is cyangen mod, the number related to the current nightly build, where on 11 as the minute.

asking which custom rom is better is hard as its mainly opinion.

MCR roms is what the author of this websites rom, he bases them on the stock rom, so in this case, his roms are based on the stock lg rom,

CM are based from the google sources, the way it goes is that they have stable versions, which are pretty much perfect, and then nightlys, which are unstable but always bring the most update version of google.

since the phone is new, no stable release has been achieved yet, so where only on nightlys, but the nightlys are moving at a great pace and alot of the early bugs i think have gone. And the current state is more or less stable.

I only bought this phone because it was being supported by the CM team, if it wasnt i wasnt going to buy it.

Guest alcap
cm is cyangen mod, the number related to the current nightly build, where on 11 as the minute.

asking which custom rom is better is hard as its mainly opinion.

MCR roms is what the author of this websites rom, he bases them on the stock rom, so in this case, his roms are based on the stock lg rom,

CM are based from the google sources, the way it goes is that they have stable versions, which are pretty much perfect, and then nightlys, which are unstable but always bring the most update version of google.

since the phone is new, no stable release has been achieved yet, so where only on nightlys, but the nightlys are moving at a great pace and alot of the early bugs i think have gone. And the current state is more or less stable.

I only bought this phone because it was being supported by the CM team, if it wasnt i wasnt going to buy it.

I'm sorry I asked what cm10 was xD. I know what cyanogen mod is, since I used it extensively on the liquid. It was the number 10 that confused me, since I never used a nightly build (I need a functional phone).

So, with the MCR the BSOD are still present, correct?