[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest dibbles

@stenyboy

I can flash modaco R8 with no issues at all from clockworkmod 2.5.1.8 but when I try the above roms it doesn't boot.

whilst it might well have nothing to do with it but as you have no issues with the R8 ROM why do you not try and change the version of CWM you are using. You should find CW 3.0.2.8 to install easy enough and there have been quite a few changes in CWM to get to that revision...

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...asy-install-v2/

the above is one way for those with no CWM installed but you could just upgrade your version to the latest I assume as you already have an old version installed.

Again no guarantees that doing it will make a difference but I'm curious as to why the R8 seems to work well for you and yet I do notice and outdated CWM.

Good luck

Guest Panayioti
Hi Guys,

Back again with my Vegacomb woes, tried another SD card and the same thing happens.

Tried formatting the SD card from the Vega but has made no difference. If I completely wipe the SD card I get a similar message about E:Cant mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p2 but it says that this time the file exists. So i mounted the SD card and put on the Vegacomb ROM but still get the blank screen.

I guess I can rule out the SD card as I can use clockworkmod no problem in my phone and can wipe the dalvik cache on my phone.

Looking like the Vega but how can I explain the error to Currys to get another one?

Thanks again for the help but looks like I've got a duff Vega when it comes to using this ROM.

You could use adb to flash it , i think.

Guest HypoTurtle
Hi Guys,

Back again with my Vegacomb woes, tried another SD card and the same thing happens.

Tried formatting the SD card from the Vega but has made no difference. If I completely wipe the SD card I get a similar message about E:Cant mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p2 but it says that this time the file exists. So i mounted the SD card and put on the Vegacomb ROM but still get the blank screen.

I guess I can rule out the SD card as I can use clockworkmod no problem in my phone and can wipe the dalvik cache on my phone.

Looking like the Vega but how can I explain the error to Currys to get another one?

Thanks again for the help but looks like I've got a duff Vega when it comes to using this ROM.

Just for reference, which version were you trying to flash 1.5 or 1.4?

Gonna try a fresh install to see if I see any issues.

Edit: Initial ROM is Corvus0.5

Boot into recovery - ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.8

Switch out SD card with one formatted with only VegaComb 1.5.1 on it

Wipe Cache Partition

Wipe data/factory reset (No app2SD partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext)

Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik Cache (E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p2; No such file or directory)

SELECTED WIPE DALVIK CACHE AGAIN AND RETURNED WITH NO ERROR (E:)

Wiped Dalvik again to see if I get another response; get E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p2; FILE EXISTS

Wipe Dalvik once more and is wiped without any error (as before).

Install zip from SDCard -> Choose Zip -> VegaComb

Flashing seemed to freeze but started up agan and finished in seconds.

Reboot system

VegaComb screen appears in under 1 minute

Boots to homescreen in 1 -2 mins.

From what I noticed from wiping the dalvik cache, I can only guess (I'm in no way a developer; at least no yet) that when wiping dalvik the wiping process looks for the mmcblk2p2 file and upon the first wipe when it can't find this file it creates one or at least a blank file with that name, second flashing wipes this created file flashing again creates the file an so on. The only reason I can see for this file holding back the wiping of Dalvik is that the Dalvik wiping works in a somewhat stepwise matter in that it needs to systematically wipe one specific file before it moves on to the next as in with files labelled A to Z and file Q is missing then the wiping of files R to Z can't be carried out. This is of course speculation.

So I can suggest before completely giving up on the vega Wipe the Dalvik Cache TWICE (or until no error comes up).

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest HypoTurtle
interesting

so does yours look ok when you get it in fullscreen

i can get flash playing fullscreen but have odd colours and artifacts

Are you using some specific version of Flash there to get it working without the "green bar" and odd colour issues?

Every Flash apk I have tried hasn't allowed full screen without odd colours yet yours looks perfect.

Having just flashed back to VegaComb (1.5.1 atm) thought I check this, and as before with Flash 10.3 and the BBC iplayer app the green bar is present, but isn't present within TVCatchup, any chance this is just due to the status bar at the bottom covering it up? Browser utilising the full screen as apposed to the apps which leave a gap at the bottom? Although this doesn't explain the ghosting that is still occuring in the iplayer app unless the app is producing two images one for the full size of the tablet screen and one leaving a gap at the bottom. If so possibly there is a conflict between apps and the statusbar, possibly the use of a hidden statusbar as in Corvus0.5 / VTL Launcher may remedy the situation. Don't believe any other launchers have this feature so until the do...

Have you been able to play video without the green bar/ghosting in anything other than browser (and youtube app which does seem to have an auto hide feature for the status bar softkeys) ?

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest mxbob
Have you been able to play video without the green bar/ghosting in anything other than browser (and youtube app which does seem to have an auto hide feature for the status bar softkeys) ?

not sure how I would play flash video without doing it in a browser…..

Guest mxbob
Does the iplayer app not use flash?

really not sure ive never tried it ive always just used the website

will give it a go tonight and report back

Guest HypoTurtle
The screenshot is taken from TVCatchup running in the stock Vegacomb browser (I'm running Vegacomb 1.5.2 @ 312/1200MHz & Flash 10.3). It doesn't use standard Flash, if I read Google correctly. When playing, the overall quality is good, but it still suffers from the "little whiite lines". The breaking news strapline on the BBC News channel moves more smoothly in TVCatchup than it does in the BBC site, which uses standard Flash. With standard Flash I sometimes get the unsynched colours, sometimes not.

Do you have a references for this standard/non-standard flash? As I get the same results as you (no ghosting in TVCatchup, but there is in bbc iplayer app) but I know that I've only installed 10.3 from the market. I do believe I have read somewhere that all flash versions running on android aren't standard i.e. not the same as the flash player that runs on windows for example, but I can't see any android device running two types of flash.

(tegra devices also require an optimised version of flash but a 10.3 version isn't available atm as far as I know)

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest phil8715
Do you have a references for this standard/non-standard flash? As I get the same results as you (no ghosting in TVCatchup, but there is in bbc iplayer app) but I know that I've only installed 10.3 from the market. I do believe I have read somewhere that all flash versions running on android aren't standard i.e. not the same as the flash player that runs on windows for example, but I can't see any android device running two types of flash.

(tegra devices also require an optimised version of flash but a 10.3 version isn't available atm as far as I know)

I managed to get BBC iPlayer app to work. I installed it, tried to watch a programme but a black blank square appears,so I rebooted the Vega and it worked.

Sorry i posted in the wrong section, i should of posted this in Fuji rom section.

Edited by phil8715

Guest stenyboy
Just for reference, which version were you trying to flash 1.5 or 1.4?

Gonna try a fresh install to see if I see any issues.

Edit: Initial ROM is Corvus0.5

Boot into recovery - ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.8

Switch out SD card with one formatted with only VegaComb 1.5.1 on it

Wipe Cache Partition

Wipe data/factory reset (No app2SD partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext)

Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik Cache (E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p2; No such file or directory)

SELECTED WIPE DALVIK CACHE AGAIN AND RETURNED WITH NO ERROR (E:)

Wiped Dalvik again to see if I get another response; get E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p2; FILE EXISTS

Wipe Dalvik once more and is wiped without any error (as before).

Install zip from SDCard -> Choose Zip -> VegaComb

Flashing seemed to freeze but started up agan and finished in seconds.

Reboot system

VegaComb screen appears in under 1 minute

Boots to homescreen in 1 -2 mins.

From what I noticed from wiping the dalvik cache, I can only guess (I'm in no way a developer; at least no yet) that when wiping dalvik the wiping process looks for the mmcblk2p2 file and upon the first wipe when it can't find this file it creates one or at least a blank file with that name, second flashing wipes this created file flashing again creates the file an so on. The only reason I can see for this file holding back the wiping of Dalvik is that the Dalvik wiping works in a somewhat stepwise matter in that it needs to systematically wipe one specific file before it moves on to the next as in with files labelled A to Z and file Q is missing then the wiping of files R to Z can't be carried out. This is of course speculation.

So I can suggest before completely giving up on the vega Wipe the Dalvik Cache TWICE (or until no error comes up).

Thanks again for the suggestions but I think I've exhausted all possibilities so looking like the Vega itself.

Tried exactly as above with the Vegacomb 1.5.1 zipped rom and happens exactly as you say with the dalvik cache so I think this may have been a red herring. Still get a black screen even though I wiped the Dalvik cache twice.

Tried the easy install of 3.2.0.8 but get a black screen on reboot and can't get into recovery.

Then tried a newer version of clockwork 3.2.0.7 (i think) through rom manager on modacor8, but on flashing Vegacomb 1.5.1 I still get the same black screen.

Tried CM7 nightly 100 and checked md5sum, same black screen.

Any ideas what i can say to Currys to get them to change my Vega?

Thanks guys,

Frustrated Vega owner.

Edited by stenyboy

Guest dibbles

So .08 of CWM is a no go. Every ROM that you have tried, EXCEPT for the std ROM and R8 does not work for you, but they will both work without any problems of flashing or running...?

Did you try flashing the latest build of CM7 from a working build of the official ROM rather than a none working build of another...?

A little vague I know but you do seem to be having a set of strange issues.

Is there a utility for an Android device to check the SD card and reader of the Vega whilst it is inserted in the device..? Long shot I know but you do seem to have exhausted everything that I can think of that could be causing your issues..?

As for returning it you will put the stock ROM back on and then it will be a fully working device so that might be tricky if no fault can be found..? Does it show a fault when plugged in and you type (double key strokes)....? That might give you an excuse..?

Guest R1chP

Thanks guys,

Frustrated Vega owner.

I'm sorry I can't help as I have the same problem.

The only ROM I can install is R8, as with you I get the black screen on all others.

Hope it can be resolved.

Otherwise loving the Vega.

Edited by R1chP

Guest HypoTurtle
Thanks again for the suggestions but I think I've exhausted all possibilities so looking like the Vega itself.

Tried exactly as above with the Vegacomb 1.5.1 zipped rom and happens exactly as you say with the dalvik cache so I think this may have been a red herring. Still get a black screen even though I wiped the Dalvik cache twice.

Tried the easy install of 3.2.0.8 but get a black screen on reboot and can't get into recovery.

Then tried a newer version of clockwork 3.2.0.7 (i think) through rom manager on modacor8, but on flashing Vegacomb 1.5.1 I still get the same black screen.

Tried CM7 nightly 100 and checked md5sum, same black screen.

Thanks guys,

Frustrated Vega owner.

Do you happen to have your hardware version there; on the sticker under the microSD/HDMI/USB cover? Just to see if you have a newer or older build.

Guest stenyboy
Do you happen to have your hardware version there; on the sticker under the microSD/HDMI/USB cover? Just to see if you have a newer or older build.

Hi

Here is the version number

P10AN010AB0602959

Guest HypoTurtle
Hi

Here is the version number

P10AN010AB0602959

You can scratch that being a problem, thought if it was a newer build than mine then this might be the problem but no. (Mine is ...AB0700807)

Your best chance when returning it is to revert back to stock 1.10 and see if you get the double tap/increased sensitivity issue when the charger is in.

I have this issue and have been considering taking it in for repair/replacement and have read of others who have done the same

Guest gazmon2424

Is there anything happening with this rom? its been quiet lately!!, would be a shame to get this close and let it all go??

i aware that its all in the modders own time, fantastic effort though we gotta get this rom going, its so close.......

gazmon

Guest gazmon2424
Is there anything happening with this rom? its been quiet lately!!, would be a shame to get this close and let it all go??

i aware that its all in the modders own time, fantastic effort though we gotta get this rom going, its so close.......

its a crap deal that the other tablets seem to be moving forward, theres so much more left in the vega/pov

gazmon

unwanted extra post.....................oh well its saturday and ive had a few........sorry

Edited by gazmon2424

Guest Panayioti

gazmon

Check newbe5s tweet

Guest YorkieUK

After a black screen of death from a very stable R9 from a miss click on USB host/slave I decided to get CM working and this ROM. What can I say but wow, nice work chaps!

Guest Dannydynamite

Installed it using the guide provided here.

http://u.bb/C9o

Up and running, even better then expected. Really good work!

I was wondering wether the USB switch from Paul can cause damage to this kernel or that it's safe to install (I did not find something that looked like a switch tool).

Thumbs up for the great work!

Guest premieral
Installed it using the guide provided here.

http://u.bb/C9o

Up and running, even better then expected. Really good work!

I was wondering wether the USB switch from Paul can cause damage to this kernel or that it's safe to install (I did not find something that looked like a switch tool).

Thumbs up for the great work!

usb switch is for a totally different kernel and causes bsod or boot loop if you try to use it on vegacomb ;)

Guest Dannydynamite
usb switch is for a totally different kernel and causes bsod or boot loop if you try to use it on vegacomb ;)

I read a post on tabletroms.com saying you have to press the back button 5 seconds to enter host mode. Will be trying that! :P

Guest CrArC
I read a post on tabletroms.com saying you have to press the back button 5 seconds to enter host mode. Will be trying that! :P

Just restart/boot the tablet, and the moment you see the backlight come on (screeb lights up but stay blank), hold the power button until you see the VegaComb logo.

Works every time! ;)

Guest premieral
Just restart/boot the tablet, and the moment you see the backlight come on (screeb lights up but stay blank), hold the power button until you see the VegaComb logo.

Works every time! ;)

Lol that would be the first manual boot loop :P i think you mean hold the back button until you see the logo :D