[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest Albertri

Tried this ROM few times always reverting back to Froyo or gingerbread... but I really like the feel and look of Honeycomb so i've flashed my viewsonic 10s again using this rom so far it's good some minor issue but nothing serious. hope to see more develoment of this ROM! kudos to all who work hard to get this build out!

Guest MANGAWY
The team that brought you Corvus5 is back, to bring you HoneyComb for your Vega :)

See the original thread I posted over at TabletRoms here! the download is there.

My brain is hurting now... time to go for a rest :/

Remember this is BETA :D We have posted this so that Vega owners can have bragging rights, yes, our tablet ROCKS. There are some bits and bobs that are messy, or simply just hacked in, but here it is in all it's messy glory ;)

Have fun guys B)

newbe5 & Corvus

Remember, if you are kind enough to donate to me (it's definitely not a requirement!) don't forget that this is Corvus' work too! His donation link is here!

I have the VegaComb-BETA1.6 Rom on my POV mobii tegra 10.1".

How do i apply the "3G Fix for 1.6 (By rebel1)" ???

The FlashPlayer-VegaComb APK work sometimes but it halts the browser on youtube, does anyone has a solution ??

Thanx in advance.

Guest xathras

I find it a little strange that nobody has used the words "encrypt" or "encryption" in this topic so far. Being able to encrypt the entire tablet is a feature of Honeycomb that's high on my wish list. However, it seems that since decryption takes place on-the-fly using hardware acceleration that it will have to wait until the Honeycomb source code becomes available.

Is anyone else (newbe5?) interested in this feature?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/02/android...a-needs-a-full/

Guest radox1

Is anyone else getting hard lockups on 1.6 i thought it may be as i was overclocking but set it back to 1ghz and it is still occuring (once ir twice per day).

I also often get gyroscope lag which can only be fixed by a reboot.

Guest gazmon2424
Is anyone else getting hard lockups on 1.6 i thought it may be as i was overclocking but set it back to 1ghz and it is still occuring (once ir twice per day).

I also often get gyroscope lag which can only be fixed by a reboot.

It's great but no flash so I went back to corvus5

Guest rferrett

After playing with a mates eepad Transformer at the weekend I decided to give this it's first go since the original Alpha. Blimey it is good, it improves the VEga so much it is untrue.

Mind you I still think I am going to by a Transformer having had a go. The nicer screen and extra ram do make a difference.

Guest markinton

Is anyone else having problems with incorrect reporting of internal memory?

I have no more then 100Mb of installed apps, but Vegacomb is reporting around 260Mb. Even stranger, at one point, I deleted a 5Mb cache for one app and saw the reported used memory go up!

Thanks

M

Guest Scanno

I have no more then 100Mb of installed apps, but Vegacomb is reporting around 260Mb. Even stranger, at one point, I deleted a 5Mb cache for one app and saw the reported used memory go up!

Thanks

M

Yep. I have that problem too. Today i ended up with the data partition being completely full (16kb left). I was using cacheclea er to free space, but did not work. I ended up formarting the data partition (factory reset) and it is working again for now.

It looks like the data partition is filling up with nothing. I did not add new apps. Most of my apps are on the sd card wirh link2sd anyway.

I did a logcat and it reports the data partition being full at the first moment. So it appears to me that perhaps tbe data partition is getting fragmented to such an extend that there cannot be any memory allocated anymore. Or the filesystem allocation table is not being updated correctly. I guess that is a kernel problem.

Guest markinton
Yes had "low memory " warning after few days' use. See the discussion around pages 82/83 on June 20.

Thanks, at least I'm not going bonkers.

It seams no one has found a solution unless I've missed something.

M

Guest spacecadetuk

Thanks

M

i had the same problem when i was using links2sd or apps2sd can't remember so i bit the bullet and formatted the sd card got rid of the ext partition started from scratch with the Vega ie back to stock then vegacomb, that with the formatted sd card seemed to solve my problems.

I haven't reinstalled either app at the moment so i think that was what was causing my problems.

Edited by spacecadetuk

Guest xathras
Yes had "low memory " warning after few days' use. See the discussion around pages 82/83 on June 20.

This seems to be a common problem. My VegaComb had an up time of 2 days when it started to get noticeably "laggy". I then had 2 "lockups" and after the second I noticed the low space warning. Restored a 3 day old nandroid backup and all's well again. I've also had the "market not downloading" problem which was fixed by going into cwm and clearing the Dalvik cache and fixing permissions.

The moral of this story is do a backup frequently when things are going fine.

Edited by xathras

Guest lilmonkey

I have noticed that when using link2sd, everything is fine, linking apps, cache and libs to the SD card.

After a while (normally after an app update) the libs loose there link, and end up back on the vega memory. This of course uses up internal storage and leads to low disk space.

Also some apps automatically install to the sd and an update "moves" them there regardless if they were previously linked. This again causes the libs (possibly the cache too) to revert back to the vega's own internal memory.

A pain, but simply going back through link2sd and relinking the libs of your apps will probably resolve your low memory issue, it did with me.

Guest markinton

Okay, stranger and stranger. Picked the Vega up this morning and the used internal storage had dropped from about 260 to 89Mb.

Am I right in saying that the internal storage isn't user for any sort of virtual ram or scratch disc? So there would be no reason for prelonged use to fill the memory. I'm not using a partitioned SD card (hence no link2sd or similar) so that isn't the cause in my case. My suspicion is it's an issue with the reporting of the memory use rather than the memory actually being filled.

M

Guest unclebob31

I get this after a week or more of use.

Forced closes, lockups and slow downs.

When I first loaded vegacomb I took a backup in recovery mode.

So what I do is simply restore the whole system from there.

If I have added an app I want to keep. I simply install it straight after recovery, re backup and then use that image next time.

This is a beta for a reason guys and would recommend this strategy as a painless way of handling these issues.

Have fun all and great work on the ROM guys as you can guess I am using it as my daily ROM.

UB31

Guest ThomasAstor

I would not think that the memory disappearance is only a case with vegacomb. I have the same problems with corvus5.

Cache or no cache emptied.

Guest markinton
This is a beta for a reason guys and would recommend this strategy as a painless way of handling these issues.

Have fun all and great work on the ROM guys as you can guess I am using it as my daily ROM.

UB31

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or being at all critical. I'm not a software developer, but I would imagine that making observations about bugs and behaviours is exactly what the developers want.

That's why you have user testing. Any pleb like me can spot a pattern which someone who knows what they are talking about will recognise as in a specific fault.

In the long run, workarounds are no good to anyone, especially if they mean the root cause is ignored.

Guest unclebob31
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or being at all critical. I'm not a software developer, but I would imagine that making observations about bugs and behaviours is exactly what the developers want.

That's why you have user testing. Any pleb like me can spot a pattern which someone who knows what they are talking about will recognise as in a specific fault.

In the long run, workarounds are no good to anyone, especially if they mean the root cause is ignored.

It is a good spot mate, I was just offering a work around which I found good across all ROMs

Roll on 1.7

UB31

Guest brucelee666

Thanks

M

Had the same thing happen (only 12mb left on internal storage) so had a look and found the following:-

As you may or may not know when a process in android crashes it creates an tombstone file located in "data/tombstones" usually named "tombstone_00", the 00 increases for each file created (i think thats the way it works anyway).

When I looked in this folder I found about 6 files most were a couple of hundred kb in size but I had one at around 250mb (guess where all my space was).

I deleted the files in the directory (does not seem to effect system, unlesss someone knows different) went back into settings/applications and internal storage jumped from 12mb to over 200mb.

As vegacomb is beta the number of force close/crashes is probably higher than normal so I would suggest checking this directory as it could be where your file storage is disappearing.

Hope this helps.

Guest lilmonkey

Not sure if this is the "correct" place to post this.

I've been using all the VegaComb version from Alpha 1 onwards.

Currently happily using Beta 1.6 as my daily ROM. (Great work guys :) )

Can anybody confirm that plugging in an external USB keyboard will work with VegaComb Beta 1.6?

I have a nice case with keyboard, got the Vega in USB Host mode, but that keyboard doesn't seem to do anything. Am i just missing something? (I know the keyboard works ok on a PC.)

Guest mxbob
Not sure if this is the "correct" place to post this.

I've been using all the VegaComb version from Alpha 1 onwards.

Currently happily using Beta 1.6 as my daily ROM. (Great work guys :) )

Can anybody confirm that plugging in an external USB keyboard will work with VegaComb Beta 1.6?

I have a nice case with keyboard, got the Vega in USB Host mode, but that keyboard doesn't seem to do anything. Am i just missing something? (I know the keyboard works ok on a PC.)

im sure i read someone else post about this saying they had a similar case but the keyboard only worked if they used a usb hub inbetween it and the vega

Guest markinton
Had the same thing happen (only 12mb left on internal storage) so had a look and found the following:-

As you may or may not know when a process in android crashes it creates an tombstone file located in "data/tombstones" usually named "tombstone_00", the 00 increases for each file created (i think thats the way it works anyway).

When I looked in this folder I found about 6 files most were a couple of hundred kb in size but I had one at around 250mb (guess where all my space was).

I deleted the files in the directory (does not seem to effect system, unlesss someone knows different) went back into settings/applications and internal storage jumped from 12mb to over 200mb.

As vegacomb is beta the number of force close/crashes is probably higher than normal so I would suggest checking this directory as it could be where your file storage is disappearing.

Hope this helps.

Brilliant, sounds an extremely plausible explanation. Is it possible that the tomestone files get purged when internal memory hits 0mb? As I said in an earlier post, my memory use suddenly dropped back to a sensible level for no obvious reason.

Will wait for the inevitable creaping death to come upon me again then see if this is the problem.

Thanks again,

M

Guest lilmonkey
he

Does anyone know how i can turn usb host mode on?

thx

Yes.

Turn on the Vega (full power off, not standby mode).

Turn the Vega back on again. One the backlight comes on, hold down the back key and keep the back key held down until the system in completely booted.

Plug in a usb memory stick and you will see that it is recognised (one with a power light helps, as the power light will only come on in host mode)

Hope that helps