MCR discussion: battery life

Guest RotoTrol_P990

Guest Paul

Not at all, just do your normal usage. You'll see the dialer in there a bit, particularly when you first power up it seems, but then it should subside and your battery life should be great.

P

Guest ryancy

Hi Paul, thanks for your hard work.

Do you mind sharing with us what you did to fix the battery drain and is it possible to implement this fix in stock LG ROM?

thanks alot.

Guest dave_a

Well I think I am getting a little improvement (thanks for all the hard work Paul). Decided to do a full wipe and while restoring apps through Titanium, the battery went from 100% to 89% which is more than I would expect! Overnight, in about 6 hours it then went down to 72% with wifi on which I am fairly sure is better than before.

However, I then used the phone for about 15 mins checking email etc. and was down to 62% and in the last 3 hours not using at all with wifi off, I am down to 44%. Dialer usage is slightly less than before but not much and now fairly sure this is not my main problem.

I guess I just have to try to find an installed app that is causing this or hope an LG update/GB enormously improves things.

Guest eisdrachen

For me the battery fix won't work. I don't know why, i flashed the newest FR16 last evening. At morning I plugged the charger out and I got only 55% left. I turned BT on for about half an hour and switched it off, did some phonecalls (20min) and reflashed it then with dalvik- and cachewipe. Should I flash it with fullwipe?

My dialer is a little bit reduced but not really much.

Guest 1nf3rn0
Well I think I am getting a little improvement (thanks for all the hard work Paul). Decided to do a full wipe and while restoring apps through Titanium, the battery went from 100% to 89% which is more than I would expect! Overnight, in about 6 hours it then went down to 72% with wifi on which I am fairly sure is better than before.

However, I then used the phone for about 15 mins checking email etc. and was down to 62% and in the last 3 hours not using at all with wifi off, I am down to 44%. Dialer usage is slightly less than before but not much and now fairly sure this is not my main problem.

I guess I just have to try to find an installed app that is causing this or hope an LG update/GB enormously improves things.

Same problem here, i think i ll go for a full wipe soon and then installing one app a time to find the culprit one...

Guest federicoc
Same problem here, i think i ll go for a full wipe soon and then installing one app a time to find the culprit one...

Same for me, it's time to do a full wipe.

Just to investigate what program could be the responsible for such "Telephone" waking up: are you using a different launcher or a different dialer? I'm using GO Launcher EX and GO Dialer.

Thanks

F.

Guest goatee

I'm using Go Launcher EX with no problems, but using stock LG dialler (although Go Dialer is also very nice)

Just to investigate what program could be the responsible for such "Telephone" waking up: are you using a different launcher or a different dialer? I'm using GO Launcher EX and GO Dialer.

Thanks

F.

Guest 1nf3rn0

Thanks

F.

I'm using SPB Shell, but i don't know if it's the cause of the troubles.

Guest federicoc
I'm using SPB Shell, but i don't know if it's the cause of the troubles.

I agree that probably it's not the cause of troubles but we must search the common factor that still cause battery drain in our device. From your reply and the other before, I can understand that is not the launcher or the dialer the cause because we have all different apps.

The problem seems to affect only a part of the FrXY ROM users so probably we have an apps responsible for that; I have more than 92 apps installed, I can't install one by one to see if the phone drain more or less... waste of time!

This is my list (thanks to AppBrain for managing apps list so well), if you have time please check and report if we have some in common:

GO SMS Pro SimpleBlue theme

GO SMS Pro

Plume for Twitter

Titanium Backup ? root

Official XBMC Remote

AndroidWorld.it

RealCalc Scientific Calculator

DS file

ZDbox (All-In-One toolbox)

GO Launcher EX

QuickPic

GO Weather

GO Launcher EX Notification

Task Manager GOWidget

Message GOWidget

Samurai II: Vengeance THD

GO Contacts

Aptoide (software installer)

Aptoide installer

Doodle Text!

Pinball HD for Tegra

DS audio

AppBrain App Market

NVIDIA Tegra Zone

Adobe® Reader®

Lookout Mobile Security

Androidify

Google Goggles

KeePassDroid

Tapatalk Forum App

Air Control

Fancy Widget Pro

APKtor (public Market)

Aptoide Repos

Wiki Encyclopedia

Street View on Google Maps

Glympse

Unit Converter - ConvertPad

Google Earth

Pool Master Pro

BW Animation Package

GMarks (Google Bookmarks)

Angry Birds Rio

Pyxidis

Google Maps

LauncherPro s23 HONEYCOMB-PINK

GO SMS Pro SimpleStripe theme

Instant Heart Rate

ConnectBot

3G Watchdog

ElectroDroid

SMS Backup +

Stop Skype

Mount Manager

DS photo+

ColorNote Notepad Notes

XDA-Developers

Overlook Fing

Battery Calibration

Twisted Colors

LG O2X Touch LED Notifications

Pinball Classic

IMDb Movies & TV

iBasket

Barcode Scanner

GT Racing HD

UNOâ„¢

Google Sky Map

My Tracks

Google Docs

Dropbox

MoboPlayer Codec for ARMV7VFP3

MoboPlayer

Adobe Photoshop Express

Honeycomb GO Launcher EX Theme

ASTRO File Manager

GO SMS Pro Italian language pa

Flash Player 10.3

APN Manager

Gmail

Google Search

Voice Search

YouTube

Analog 14 Clocks Widget Pack

LG Calendar

Premium World Clock Widget

LG Home

Fireworks LWP

Socialite Beta

Water Drops LWP Optimus2x

Optimus2x Bubbles LWP

F.

Guest dave_a

Currently downloading FR17 with the default options selected. Going to wipe and install this with no apps installed and will try it out for a few hours.

Has anyone thought that there might be some dodgy batteries around? Not sure how to check this apart from buying a new original battery and testing but can't find anywhere to buy one from.

Edited by dave_a

Guest 1nf3rn0
Currently downloading FR17 with the default options selected. Going to wipe and install this with no apps installed and will try it out for a few hours.

Has anyone thought that there might be some dodgy batteries around? Not sure how to check this apart from buying a new original battery and testing but can't find anywhere to buy one from.

This is an option too, i hope mine is not and is app related

Guest federicoc

Yes this is possible, but we have the partial wake up issue that isn't related to hardware (battery) failure.

Guest o2mike

After I tried it the last weeks I can say the following.

I run the stock LG ROM V10d with 0405 Baseband.

I have started to manually reboot the phone every time I have installed a new app or updated an app via the market.

I am under the subjective impression that my battery life has greatly improved.

I usually unplug the phone around 8 o'clock in the morning and after a whole day in the lab, with some calls, lots of eMails, occasional web surfing, and music playback via bluetooth headphones, I am at 75% battery charge at 19 o'clock.

I started to do that reboot thing, because I have suspected some apps to not properly close and to constantly use sensors or the processor in the background.

Guest dave_a
Yes this is possible, but we have the partial wake up issue that isn't related to hardware (battery) failure.

Bad battery is unlikely I guess but I just don't understand how some people are getting really good battery life and others aren't with the same ROM. So far with default FR17 options and no apps, phone has gone down 4% in an hour where all i have been doing is checking the battery every 15min to see how far it has gone down. Actually, the dialer is much less than previously but probably need to leave on longer and I still don't think this is the main issue on my phone

Going to test with some browsing in a bit but so far I am seeing exactly what I was seeing with FR16 with all my apps installed.

EDIT: Browsing for 20min reduced battery by 9% which to me seems a little too much?

Anyway, I guess I will try again to find a battery as I can't manage with just one at the moment if I am going to be doing moderate usage in a day. If anyone finds somewhere in UK selling genuine 2X batteries, let me know and I will then report back with how the new battery performs.

Edited by dave_a

Guest Atomicman

Just my 2 cents about battery drain. Maybe it helps Paul or someone else to identify the root cause? At least i've installed always the same apps, so it shouldn't be the cause for it...

This is what i posted in the MCR Thread...

Paul,

your ROM is really great, but i always have battery drain on your ROM, no matter which Version.

I was now using WGSpoelstra Rom 1.5a http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1032419 which is based on http://romkitchen.org/

There i couldn't reconize any strange battery drain (e.g. on telephone) and i was really satisfied. Maybe this helps you to identify the telehone-drain-issue (really want to go back to MCR, love your work!)

Guest federicoc
Just my 2 cents about battery drain. Maybe it helps Paul or someone else to identify the root cause? At least i've installed always the same apps, so it shouldn't be the cause for it...

This is what i posted in the MCR Thread...

This is quite interesting, in fact, you are showing that the problem is somehow related to the kernel and not to the apps installed. The strange thing is that some people, even if using Paul's kernel, doesn't have the partial wake up issue while other have.

Thanks

F.

Guest federicoc

After deleting the battery stats with battery fully charged; I have the best battery duration so far; last charge was yesterday at 19,00, at the moment (10:15) I still have 55% with usual usage.

Partial wake up always shows "Telephone"; with pimp my cpu I have lowered by 0.25mV every clock step.

Now the G2X really rocks!

Thanks Paul, problem solved for me!

F.

Guest oobatz

Had a weird issue with the battery for the first time last night.

I'm using the Fear Kill rom 8.1 - baseband 405

Having been delighted with the battery life on this phone since I got it last night with the battery 0n about 74 - I used winamp for about 45 minutes. After that the phone was on the shelf doing nothing until the low battery beeped about 90 minutes later?

I checked what was using the battery so much and it came up with the dialer

Is this a known issue and how can I fix it?

2011-05-18%2021.27.37.png

Guest okdac

Hi all,

Ok. First thing first.

Issue : Battery drain due to "Dialer" aka "Appeler" (as I'm french...)

What I did. Wiped everything, formated everything (!! yeah, backup and lost eveything...), baked FR17 RC3 from scratch with no extra LG option but the FM Radio, LG KeyBoard and Screen capture. MCK kernel r14 with overclocking / undervolt support, hidden menu and sql by default. Launcher is Froyo's default one. That's it.

Still "dailer" drain...I'm completely lost now. See attachment.

post-606282-1305795763_thumb.png

Guest oobatz

So weird, just tried to recreate the same situation as before - this time played one tune on winamp battery at 65 - phone idle for 90 minutes - now the battery is down to 15! And the dialer is responsible again.

Edited by oobatz