Could Vega do HDMI IN?

Guest MarkBR

Guest MarkBR

Hi

I've done a bit of digging on this, and only found questions and not answers!

The 10" screen on the Vega would be brilliant as an external monitor for a device like a digital camera that has a small screen, to enable better focussing etc. The Vega has an HDMI port for output, but I'm not clear what would/could be done to make it an input as well (or even instead of). Is it a hardwire or wiring issue, or could it all be done in software? Is there anything out there already that could convert the port?

Any comments or information gratefuly accepted!

M.

Guest NeilLewis22

simple answer is no.

you cant do it with laptops and i see no reason why you can with the VEGA as it uses the same tech

Guest warriorscot

You might be able to do it with the USB or over wireless although most networks would be too slows. You could take on of the opensource VNC apps and modify it to show a virtual monitor from a PC and send the touch input and camera back as virtual devices. Wouldn't be that easy but I agree it would be cool.

Guest trevor432990

Depends on the capability of the Digital Camera in question. Some for example allow the camera to be used as a webcam when connected by USB to a PC and there is a small possibility it'll work with the Vega switched to Host mode. However if you want it just to aid focus for still shots I seriously doubt this is possible .... better to get a magnifying glass or a camera with a viewfinder rather than a screen. :unsure:

Guest lukasz.mobi

It would great to see one day the VEGA controlling Quadrocoper by pointing the GPS location

on the map, and see FPV on the VEGA screen. Even HDMI Input would not helped because

the VEGA screen is unusable outdoor. Hope one day our dreams become true :unsure:

Guest MarkBR
Depends on the capability of the Digital Camera in question. Some for example allow the camera to be used as a webcam when connected by USB to a PC and there is a small possibility it'll work with the Vega switched to Host mode. However if you want it just to aid focus for still shots I seriously doubt this is possible .... better to get a magnifying glass or a camera with a viewfinder rather than a screen. :unsure:

It's not really the USB or external webcam I'm after, rather the HDMI connection working both ways. My son works with video on a digital SLR which has HDMI out, and for precision HD work the camera screen isn't up to it. You can of course buy small external monitors to display images from an HDMI source, but if a tablet could do this it would greatly increase it's appeal.

I can see tablets like the Vega killing the market for digital photo frames and small external monitors, by fulfilling those functions as well as so many more.

M.