DVDs on Transformer

Guest Bobby Elliott

Guest Bobby Elliott

What is the best way to watch DVDs on the Transformer? I would like to convert some of my DVDs for viewing on the device. I have a few questions.

1. What video formats does the Transformer support?

2. What is the best format for viewing movies on the Transformer?

3. What is the best software to convert standard DVDs to this format?

4. Does the Transformer come with video viewing software?

5. What is the best software for viewing videos?

Thanks in anticipation.

Guest SilentMobius
What is the best way to watch DVDs on the Transformer? I would like to convert some of my DVDs for viewing on the device. I have a few questions.

1. What video formats does the Transformer support?

2. What is the best format for viewing movies on the Transformer?

3. What is the best software to convert standard DVDs to this format?

4. Does the Transformer come with video viewing software?

5. What is the best software for viewing videos?

Thanks in anticipation.

1) 720p h.264 (low profile@level 3.1) in an mp4 container. (Also: No CABAC entropy coding, No B frames, No 8x8 transforms (DCT), No Weighted Prediction)

2) Handbrake

3) Yes, as part of the Gallery

4) The built in player (_not_ rockplayer, moboplayer, etc)

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com...deo/p/7901,7906

*EDIT*

On second thoughts given that DVD is under 720p to start with it makes no sense to encode at higher res than the raw stream provides, so for a movie (Which is at 2.39:1) I'd go for cropped 75px from the top and bottom then scale to 1024x426 that should get you the maximum resolution quality from the source material without wasting bits and time encoding blank space

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest matf
2) Handbreak

Don't wish to appear a pedant in the light of SilentMobius's excellent response - but it's Handbrake rather than Handbreak (http://handbrake.fr/) - just thought people might end up searching for the wrong thing if they hadn't come across Handbrake before...

My other point is re audio. Stereo obviously not an issue but I've had no problems encoding to aac with Dolby Surround or Pro Logic II. However, if you encode with 6 channel (5.1) then your video will skip. At least on all the players I have tried (and that's a lot).

Yes, I know the EEE only has two speakers but for people like me who don't want to re-encode videos for every viewing platform it's annoying that the player doesn't downmix (which I'm sure happened on my Vega...). Just something to be aware of.

P.S. My eyes possibly detect a slight frame drop with Dolby Surround/Pro logic - but tbh, that might just be my imagination.

Edited by matf

Guest SilentMobius
Don't wish to appear a pedant in the light of SilentMobius's excellent response - but it's Handbrake rather than Handbreak

Much appreciated, I am an idiot.... I also completely blame autocorrect

Guest GTP04

i agree freemake works very well, as far as i can tell, moboplayer and whatnot will play most file types, but it is using software decoding. if you convert to h.264 like the second poster, it will use hardware decoding and run much better as well as give you the ability to output via hdmi to your hd tv.