A List of Problems since Firmware Update 8.2.3.9

Guest Deus_ex11

Guest Deus_ex11

A month has past since I've had my transformer and I've loved using it everyday when I can. I've sold my two netbooks for it and I don't miss them one bit. These tablets can do so much more than they could. I love them so much I bought two. One for me and the family. Like everyone else I can't wait for the keyboard docks to come which will make it even better. Don't get me wrong, Its a great tablet but its not perfect though. If these problems listed didn't exist then it would be the perfect tablet.

I have listed the major and minor problems that I have encountered in my day to day use. Some of them you can live with but some are just annoying. If you notice any that I haven't listed then please post yours. Hopefully these problems will be fixed from more updates from Asus and the forthcoming Honeycomb 3.1. Hardware problems might be fixed in newer tablets or a redesign. Looking forward to the Tegra 3 Transformers that will fit the keyboard dock.

Updated the firmware to 8.2.3.13

Major

Sleep of death S.O.D. I have started to get this after 3 weeks use. I have installed alot of apps since then. This happens when you put it into standby and it doesn't turn on again. The only way to turn it on again is to press and hold the power button for 15secs to force a shutdown and then turn on as usual. I suspect an app that I have installed.

If you set to turn off WiFi when screen turns off, the WiFi doesn't reconnect itself sometimes unless I turn it off and on in the WiFi settings. It happens when left for a while. It could be my Dlink router though. [sOLUTION] Green Power battery saver. It can be set to turn off the WiFi when the screen turns off and vice versa.

Volume control locks on full sometimes. Had to reboot to fix. It happens when a audio app FC’s.

The right speaker is louder than the left.

HDMI connection does not connect to my BenQ projector.

WebM VP8 HQ video stuttering and slow playback on the stock Youtube app.

WebM VP8 plays in the built-in video player, but no hardware acceleration.

Stock browser not playing back HTML5 WebM video. It still requires flash.

Flash also slow playback when playing 720p video.

No mkv, avi and wmv container support in the default video player.

Minor

Turns the screen on by itself after I turned it off. Has happened twice so far.

Turned itself off completely after not using for a while. It still had charge. Has happened once so far.

Had one instance of Micro SD not initialising when inserted. Had to do a reboot.

Polaris Office - you cannot select the Micro SD card to save a file.

When connected to a TV via HDMI, the bottom bar glitches when you select a popup menu.

No built-in formatting for Micro SD.

The bottom of the Asus Weather Widget disappears sometimes.

Speakers and headphones not loud enough. [sOLUTION ] You can use Volume+ (Sound Boost) from the market. Get it free from the developer's web page.

Edited by Deus_ex11

Guest Deus_ex11

Getting SOD everytime I leave it on the standby for over 10 minutes. ie turn screen off. It's getting really annoying. I suspect something I have installed.

Guest SilentMobius

Tegra2 SOC can't accelerate VP8 so the Transformer was never going to play WebM using hardware acceleration.

Just a point of confusion from me, what makes you think you're playing WebM in the stock youtube app? I don't see any way to determine what codec it's using and I'm pretty sure it's using h.264

*Edit*

Just checked logcat while I was playing some (supposedly) WebM youtube vids ad each time I got the log messages from the AVC decoder so I think the youtube app always plays h.264.

Hang on... I just saw something _very_ interesting...

Edited by SilentMobius