Should I get this phone?

Guest llaa51

Guest llaa51

Well, yes as according to the title, I'm getting a new phone by next week. I'm still hoping that the Galaxy S II comes out over the weekend here in Singapore, since someone's buying for me and that that person is leaving 2 weeks from now. So anyways, from reading this forum and xda-forums, this is what I gathered:

- Battery problems?

- Random shutdowns

- Still not updated to 2.3

- UI is crappy and look like a ripoff of touchwiz 3.0

I'm fine with it not updated to 2.3 and as for the UI, well, I'm not bothered by it as much from looking. However, I'm not quite fine with the first 2. Does the optimus 2x last more than a day with medium usage? How prevalent are the random shutdowns, or rather, can it be solved by the custom roms? Also, although I've been playing around with froyo on my Omnia II, I still don't know if rooting voids the warranty, so does it?

Also, if you don't suggest me getting this phone, what phone would you suggest? And yeah, don't suggest Atrix, cause it's not going to get released in Singapore anytime soon (though, I'll quickly pick it over the Galaxy S II)

Guest jambezuk

The battery it's improving as Paul keeps fixing things but I have to charge every night without fail. With data turned on all day (3G+2G) a few phone calls and a bit of angry birds I get between 15 and 20 hours from the battery. My biggest drain is background downloading from the phone which I haven't isolated yet. Once that's fixed battery life will improve significantly.

Mine has never randomly shutdown.

If you did want 2.3 there's cyanogenmod but that's still a work in progress with loads of bugs.

UI is ok, I don't use the standard launcher anyway so I just get the colourful icons here and there!

For me the smaller size of the LG was a selling point over the SGS2... it has to fit in my pocket after all!

Guest llaa51
The battery it's improving as Paul keeps fixing things but I have to charge every night without fail. With data turned on all day (3G+2G) a few phone calls and a bit of angry birds I get between 15 and 20 hours from the battery. My biggest drain is background downloading from the phone which I haven't isolated yet. Once that's fixed battery life will improve significantly.

Mine has never randomly shutdown.

If you did want 2.3 there's cyanogenmod but that's still a work in progress with loads of bugs.

UI is ok, I don't use the standard launcher anyway so I just get the colourful icons here and there!

For me the smaller size of the LG was a selling point over the SGS2... it has to fit in my pocket after all!

i see, i usually use my phone to listen to music while commuting as well as about an hr or 2 of browing and maybe another 30mins of games. this kind of usage would last me a day in the least right? and how big is the difference that duo core makes compared to non-duo core phones like maybe desire s and arc?

oh, and an important question. Does installing custom roms or rooting void the warranty?

Edited by llaa51

Guest Squide

just revert everything if u need to use the warranty service.

the major differents between 2x and S2 is memory, OLED and price.

I see no point to go backward for a single core device.

Given the price is not a really big different to those high-end single core.

Guest llaa51

So, can I know in the very least if battery drain is really that bad? I've been reading through the battery life issues thread and someone posted that even though they installed one of Paul's custom roms, his battery had an 80% drop in a little over 11hrs in sleep mode

Guest Squide
So, can I know in the very least if battery drain is really that bad? I've been reading through the battery life issues thread and someone posted that even though they installed one of Paul's custom roms, his battery had an 80% drop in a little over 11hrs in sleep mode

the replacement batteries with dock charger is really cheap at ebay.

even the old galaxy s need 2 for everyday in high usage.

and at the moment, I could say Fr16 is already close to that level.