Android System - Huge background data usage

Guest jambezuk

Guest jambezuk

Hi,

I'm having a huge problem with my phone constantly downloading/uploading information even when in sleep.

I've tried wiping phone then only restoring applications not system settings (then manually configuring system) and the problem persists. On wipe this morning I did not install Skype, Facebook or Twitter in case one of them was the cause, (un)fortunately not the case.

Running a custom beta4 bake with the LG apps for calendar, sms and dialer. Using launcher pro.

I've included two screenshots which were take after only two hours since last unplug! I've received a few emails and done 2MB worth of browsing but the phone has downloaded an additional 18MB of data. Not only is this killing my battery but I'm concerned about going over my 1GB monthly limit without even touching my phone!

Any help greatly appreciated!

James

post-883414-1305631797_thumb.png post-883414-1305631808_thumb.png

Guest jambezuk
Actually it's SENT a load of data no? :unsure:

My first suspicion would be 'SystemBackupService' misbehaving...

P

Yep sorry you're right, it's upload not download.

Guest unfun

i see the same here with fr15, just did a reboot and will now test for 30 minutes, then i post my results

forgot to mention that i have frozen systembackupservice and now it seems alright, after 30 minutes maybe 1 megabyte up/down

but i have another question, there is this process called "0" in my list, when i tap on it settings force closes and it uses even more data than AndroidSystem

and btw thanks for all your great work paul

post-886884-1305640017_thumb.png

Edited by unfun

Guest jambezuk
i see the same here with fr15, just did a reboot and will now test for 30 minutes, then i post my results

forgot to mention that i have frozen systembackupservice and now it seems alright, after 30 minutes maybe 1 megabyte up/down

but i have another question, there is this process called "0" in my list, when i tap on it settings force closes and it uses even more data than AndroidSystem

I regularly get the same thing (with 0's high network use) I turned off facebook sync which made it go for a while... but then it came back having not turned facebook sync back on!

Guest RotoTrol_P990

post-886884-1305640017_thumb.png

Did you take that screenshot on my phone? :unsure:

Spare parts reports the same exact situation for me but I frankly never understood what that process could actually be. Someone has suggested it could be the SNS (Facebook and Twitter) but I set it up to update every 2 hours, so this much usage seems quite suspicious to me.

Guest jambezuk
Did you take that screenshot on my phone? :unsure:

Spare parts reports the same exact situation for me but I frankly never understood what that process could actually be. Someone has suggested it could be the SNS (Facebook and Twitter) but I set it up to update every 2 hours, so this much usage seems quite suspicious to me.

If I took a screenshot of my phone right now it was also look identical... but I currently don't have SNS installed... or facebook, twitter or skype (thrown in skype simply because it too can sync contacts in a similar fashion)

Guest bobonolla

Same here, having lots of data sent and recived even while in sleep at least 3MB a day... could this be the cause to the battery drain?

Guest jambezuk
I've removed systembackupservice so it's not that...

P

I've reflashed a new bake without wiping (basically to remove the backup service)...

but now I have com.spritemobile.system.backup within the list of Android System. I don't have Sprite installed and I'm pretty sure that's what you said you'd removed!

I've looked in system/apps/ (using astro) and can't see any programs with names relating to either backup or sprite.

**On the plus side I'm glad it wasn't just me with this problem!!**

Guest Paul

That's probably historic data, hence why it's displaying the classname and not the acutal name... so that's old transfer not new.

P

Guest bobonolla

Could it be Network Location? if it's updating the phones location all the time, then there would be a need for lots of data communication. testing now to turn it off.

Guest bobonolla

I can´t confirm that.. tested with airplane mode and there was zero communication.

edit:

switched to normal and had data sent directly via 3g..

edit 2:

strange... trafficstats and 3g watchdog show different amount of data.. 3g watchdog show 0 byte in airplane mode and trafficstats show 3kb...

Edited by bobonolla

Guest Helly
it´s related to screencapture.apk ??

don't know about screenshot.apk - don't have this one one my O2X (is it a 3d party screenshot-app ?). com.lge.util seems to be the internal utility from lg for taking screenies - after freezing it, pressing home+power didn't do anything at all.