Should I get the keyboard dock?

Guest BillBong

Guest BillBong

I ordered the dock through Asus (being an early purchaser) and I've got the invoice but I haven't paid it yet. I mainly use the Transformer for browsing and killing time on a few games but I don't know how useful the keyboard would be on a day-to-day basis. I have a netbook and a laptop which I'd use this for any real "work" stuff so I can't see where I'd use the keyboard. Does it serve as a good "stand" for watching movies etc.

Do I buy or not (assuming the invoice is still valid of course)

Guest shadwell_lad
I ordered the dock through Asus (being an early purchaser) and I've got the invoice but I haven't paid it yet. I mainly use the Transformer for browsing and killing time on a few games but I don't know how useful the keyboard would be on a day-to-day basis. I have a netbook and a laptop which I'd use this for any real "work" stuff so I can't see where I'd use the keyboard. Does it serve as a good "stand" for watching movies etc.

Buy it if you can and sell on eBay.

Guest pauldarken

I have the keyboard and yes, it serves as a good stand... but there's more...

1. 2 x USB ports

2. 1 x full size SD card slot

3. it is nice to type with and use the trackpad on making it a full netbook

4. It allegedly powers the tablet for another 8 hours, although I actually think it's nearer 7 for me. It simply charges the pad to about 75-80%. I tested it from 2% on the pad and it was about 76% before I noticed it stopped charging, without use. This means you can use the pad without the keyboard whilst charging the keyboard, then plug in the keyboard to charge whilst using it, when the charge is exhausted, unplug and charge the keyboard again... allows continual use without being tied to a power socket. You can also charge both together through a power socket by plugging in the keyboard to the power and docking it to the tablet.

5. You can clamshell it, protecting the screen and use pretty much any netbook case that fits.

Hope that helps!

Guest pauldarken
I have the keyboard and yes, it serves as a good stand... but there's more...

1. 2 x USB ports

2. 1 x full size SD card slot

3. it is nice to type with and use the trackpad on making it a full netbook

4. It allegedly powers the tablet for another 8 hours, although I actually think it's nearer 7 for me. It simply charges the pad to about 75-80%. I tested it from 2% on the pad and it was about 76% before I noticed it stopped charging, without use. This means you can use the pad without the keyboard whilst charging the keyboard, then plug in the keyboard to charge whilst using it, when the charge is exhausted, unplug and charge the keyboard again... allows continual use without being tied to a power socket. You can also charge both together through a power socket by plugging in the keyboard to the power and docking it to the tablet.

5. You can clamshell it, protecting the screen and use pretty much any netbook case that fits.

Hope that helps!

Oh, one other note on charging. If I have a full charged pad, and don't need the keyboard, I don't dock it (overnight for example) as it drains the keyboard battery as it tries to trickle charge. Nice to have the pad at 99% in the morning but seems to drain it quicker than undocking and plugging it in when the pad is near empty.

Guest dredge999

The keyboard dock makes the device for me.

Holding a 10" tab upright just sucks after a while if you are prone. Having the keyboard to hold it makes all the difference.

Also, typing on this keyboard really helps the usefulness of the tab (after loading Paul's HR5 rom).

Combine that with shortcut buttons I use a ton and it is a winner for me. This is before we mention the ports and the battery.

Rick

Guest leisurefix

I agree with what everyone else has said, I was not sure how it would be using the touch screen with the dock attached, but find it works really well. Definitely recommend that you do purchase it.

Guest Mr.Clark

Just received and updated mine.

It's nice!

I'd recommend one. I don't feel like I need a case now, the screen is already protected by the clamshell effect, plus I've got gobs of battery life, some USB ports and an SDXC port (apparently, haven't seen anyone confirm with a test yet).

Also, you know, a physical keyboard. As a kind of happy bonus :P

Guest GTP04

I agree with everyone, i just got my dock today and so far i am loving it. it is by far the most seemless keyboard/trackpad solution there can be, and actually feels right when using it. All the shortcut keys make it very easy to do anyting you want.

Guest BillBong

OK so you guys twisted my arm :P

I sent the money through last week so it's probably just hit their account now. Do they send you an acknowledgement email and how soon after payment did it come through?