Stock ROM T-mobile UK(2011) + Z4root + link2SD

Guest mustafa_ale

Guest mustafa_ale

This Tips for Stock ROM user only, Very stable Configuration for my pulse

- Flash ROM T-Mobile UK (2011) and Reboot

- Instal Z4root then Run permanent Root - reboot

- Instal Root Explorer

- install quickboot

- using root explorer, for free space move some of application apk from system/app/ to SD (Google Maps, Youtube, etc) if u wont gmail and market cache on internal memory u should move to SD also

- using root explorer, delete some of application if u think no need from systme/app (i'm delete touchpal language, roadsync, shortcut application(musicjuke, tv, top applictaion))

- reboot pulse using quickboot to recovery mode

- Wipe data/ factory reset then reboot system now

- U will get 70 MB free on internal memory

- Install Link2SD and select ext2 for SD storage

- Goto setting select auto link then reboot ur pulse for mounting ext2

- Install Google Maps, Youtube, and all application u need

- enjoy ur pulse

This Config really stable for me, no freez, no FC

sorry for my poor english :P

Edited by mustafa_ale

Guest jeddy1

- Instal Root Explorer

- install quickboot

- using root explorer, for free space move some of application apk from system/app/ to SD (Google Maps, Youtube, etc) if u wont gmail and market cache on internal memory u should move to SD also

- using root explorer, delete some of application if u think no need from systme/app (i'm delete touchpal language, roadsync, shortcut application(musicjuke, tv, top applictaion))

- enjoy ur pulse

sorry for my poor english :P

yes and !!??

u forget ur donation link :rolleyes:

Edited by jeddy1

Guest Bibbly
yes and !!??

u forget ur donation link :P

Huh? What's your point?

The Op's post is very helpful, I'm now playing with the CyanogenMod Plus rom and whilst it is good I am having some issues, so mustafa_ale's strategy is another option that I may well try. So thank you mustafa_ale for your helpful post.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dtox125
I cant move or delete apps with root explorer "xxx.apk cannot be deleted/moved because it is a read only file"

if you touch the mount r/w buton on the top of root explorer you should be able to delete stuff..

Guest twrock

- Instal Root Explorer

- install quickboot

- enjoy ur pulse

sorry for my poor english ;)

I think this is an excellent solution. I know others have used it as well, but I haven't heard much report on how it worked. It's nice to hear that it is working for you.

I've never used Links2SD. Maybe it's time I tried it. :P

But why only 70mb free? It seems you should have a lot more than that. What am I not understanding?

Edit: Ah, do you mean after you have installed all your apps, you still have 70mb free?

Edited by twrock

Guest jeddy1
Huh? What's your point?

The Op's post is very helpful, I'm now playing with the CyanogenMod Plus rom and whilst it is good I am having some issues, so mustafa_ale's strategy is another option that I may well try. So thank you mustafa_ale for your helpful post.

WHO ASKED U ABOUT OPINION ? I WAS JUST KIDDING!!

Guest twrock

I've been playing around with this solution, and it really is not bad at all! Here are a few things I did in /system in addition to what the OP suggested.

Replaced Canvas Launcher with Zeam Launcher (I found the older version 2.8.8 on Mediafire that supports 2.1 roms.)

Replaced Contacts, ContactsProvider, Dialer, and CallLog with Contacts and ContactsProvider from the latest RBM rom (I hate the T-Mobile implementation of Contacts).

Replaced Music.apk with a more "stock" version so I could get a 4x1 Music widget.

Replaced Superuser.apk with the latest version.

Replaced Maps with the latest version. (Or optionally, just delete Maps to gain space for other things, and then install it again later.)

Replaced the /system/media/bootanimation.zip with something more appealing to me. (green ANDROID with green spinner)

Deleted all the Touchpal Language packs, and replaced those with HanvonCalla IME and CHTpack.apk for Chinese support

Deleted a bunch of other apps/widgets I don't want, which helped create the space I needed for other things.

Here's a link to a collection of those updated apps to save others some time. I included z4root, Link2SD and the boot animation: http://www.mediafire.com/?rdta4b4o0aowqqv

Also, as the OP says, you are going to need to do a full wipe after you do all this messing around with the files in /system, so plan your steps well. Oh, and in my experience, Link2SD acted strangely when I put it into /system/app. YMMV, but I recommend just a simple install.

My next step will be to edit build.prop, particularly the build.description and fingerprint. So far, yes, it is stable. But yes, it is slower than other roms that have an OC kernel. My verdict is still out on the battery life. So far I haven't been using it as normal (too much time messing with modifications), so it isn't fair to compare it just yet.

Finally, I'd love to get rid of the pink highlights and replace them with a nice "Android green". If I recall correctly, that is a little complicated, but maybe I can follow the instructions others have given to get it done. But if "someone" who already knows how to do it will volunteer, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Guest pessta
I've been playing around with this solution, and it really is not bad at all! Here are a few things I did in /system in addition to what the OP suggested.

Replaced Canvas Launcher with Zeam Launcher (I found the older version 2.8.8 on Mediafire that supports 2.1 roms.)

Replaced Contacts, ContactsProvider, Dialer, and CallLog with Contacts and ContactsProvider from the latest RBM rom (I hate the T-Mobile implementation of Contacts).

Replaced Music.apk with a more "stock" version so I could get a 4x1 Music widget.

Replaced Superuser.apk with the latest version.

Replaced Maps with the latest version. (Or optionally, just delete Maps to gain space for other things, and then install it again later.)

Replaced the /system/media/bootanimation.zip with something more appealing to me. (green ANDROID with green spinner)

Deleted all the Touchpal Language packs, and replaced those with HanvonCalla IME and CHTpack.apk for Chinese support

Deleted a bunch of other apps/widgets I don't want, which helped create the space I needed for other things.

Here's a link to a collection of those updated apps to save others some time. I included z4root, Link2SD and the boot animation: http://www.mediafire.com/?rdta4b4o0aowqqv

Also, as the OP says, you are going to need to do a full wipe after you do all this messing around with the files in /system, so plan your steps well. Oh, and in my experience, Link2SD acted strangely when I put it into /system/app. YMMV, but I recommend just a simple install.

My next step will be to edit build.prop, particularly the build.description and fingerprint. So far, yes, it is stable. But yes, it is slower than other roms that have an OC kernel. My verdict is still out on the battery life. So far I haven't been using it as normal (too much time messing with modifications), so it isn't fair to compare it just yet.

Finally, I'd love to get rid of the pink highlights and replace them with a nice "Android green". If I recall correctly, that is a little complicated, but maybe I can follow the instructions others have given to get it done. But if "someone" who already knows how to do it will volunteer, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

When I try to replace things (Contacts) with root explorer, I always got FC. How can I do that without this? thx

Guest Casterina
When I try to replace things (Contacts) with root explorer, I always got FC. How can I do that without this? thx

I get the same issue :)

Guest twrock

You can't. You have to just do it, then by whatever means, reboot into Recovery and wipe.

That's why it is important to make all of your decisions about how you want the rom to be in the end, before you start. Otherwise, you keep having to rebuild all your apps and data, because you are going to need to wipe after replacing things like Contacts.

Edit: Other than that, you can also learn how to modify roms on your computer, and do all the replacement work there. But that's another topic......

Edited by twrock

Guest pessta
You can't. You have to just do it, then by whatever means, reboot into Recovery and wipe.

That's why it is important to make all of your decisions about how you want the rom to be in the end, before you start. Otherwise, you keep having to rebuild all your apps and data, because you are going to need to wipe after replacing things like Contacts.

Edit: Other than that, you can also learn how to modify roms on your computer, and do all the replacement work there. But that's another topic......

So if i do full wipe, after i replaced the apps, there will be no Fc-s? It would be good new, because it is really stable and fast rom.

Guest twrock
So if i do full wipe, after i replaced the apps, there will be no Fc-s? It would be good new, because it is really stable and fast rom.

That has been my experience.

I agree that building your own rom this way is a good method. Unfortunately I did not see significant battery increase with this rom. So I am currently trying RBM2.

What I really want to "try" is a new HTC phone! :)

• 5 months later...

Is this setup affected by the sms bug?

Theres no swap in this rom, so the system can kill message app because the lack of enough memory?

I can only "guess" at an answer. I suspect it will have the same problem as other 2.1 roms.

I have worked quite hard to create a rom that "guarantees" the SMS app will remain in ram, but so far I have failed.

I can only "guess" at an answer. I suspect it will have the same problem as other 2.1 roms.

I have worked quite hard to create a rom that "guarantees" the SMS app will remain in ram, but so far I have failed.

Can you suggest a flashable kernel for android 2.1 that support swap?

FLB 1.5 swap supported kernel doesn't available anymore. (doesn't available any FLB stuff older then 1.7)

Can you suggest a flashable kernel for android 2.1 that support swap?

FLB 1.5 swap supported kernel doesn't available anymore. (doesn't available any FLB stuff older then 1.7)

How many would you like. I have at least a dozen variations. ;)

Here, try this one: flb691-528max-bootimg-install.zip

It is the FLB boot.img with swap and OC up to 691mhz. But it has been modified to run at 528mhz by default. You have to install a CPU speed controller app to push the OC speed higher.

How many would you like. I have at least a dozen variations. ;)

Here, try this one: flb691-528max-bootimg-install.zip

It is the FLB boot.img with swap and OC up to 691mhz. But it has been modified to run at 528mhz by default. You have to install a CPU speed controller app to push the OC speed higher.

It stucks at android logo. (I wiped only the dalvik cache and cache partition)

It stucks at android logo. (I wiped only the dalvik cache and cache partition)

What rom was already on your phone? (Which rom are you flashing this on top of?)

I'm curious, because that boot.img is the one that is running in the FTB rom, and it does not have any problem there.

As long as you have a backup already, you can do a full wipe and see if that fixes it.

(You did make a backup before flashing this boot.img, right?) :o

What rom was already on your phone? (Which rom are you flashing this on top of?)

I'm curious, because that boot.img is the one that is running in the FTB rom, and it does not have any problem there.

As long as you have a backup already, you can do a full wipe and see if that fixes it.

(You did make a backup before flashing this boot.img, right?) :o

I use the setup described in the first post. (T-Mobile UK rom + z4root + link2sd)

Full wipe doesn't work either.

Yes I have made a backup. So I restore the state last state of the phone (I can't restore my CM6.1 backup. I don't know why. :/ (stuck at android logo))

//On android logo I doesn't mean the small text, I mean th android logo graphic

Edited by rhen

I use the setup described in the first post. (T-Mobile UK rom + z4root + link2sd)

Full wipe doesn't work either.

Yes I have made a backup. So I restore the state last state of the phone (I can't restore my CM6.1 backup. I don't know why. :/ (stuck at android logo))

//On android logo I doesn't mean the small text, I mean th android logo graphic

Try this install sequence:

1. Install UK 2011 update and boot

2. Install Z4root (permanent)

3. Flash CW Recovery 2.5.0.7

4. Install the boot.img I uploaded

5. Wipe cache and reboot

6. Install Link2SD