MCR discussion: overclocking and undervolting

Guest aaww

Guest aaww

Hi all, pleas post all your OC experiences and suggestions here instead of the Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X thread.

Lets keep it clean people :P

Guest djpalmis
Hi all, pleas post all your OC experiences and suggestions here instead of the Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X thread.

Lets keep it clean people :rolleyes:

:P

I suggest to all something: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_integrity

Please, search on google something related to trace impedance, signali integrity and so on..

Maybe you'll find that when a smartphone maker chose a CPU freq. there is A LITTLE rationale over that decision..

<_<

Guest orlox

Oced at 1400 with sql and got 4k+ at quadrant.

Also run stress test for a good 10 minutes at 1200 by doing 60 sec 1200 1 sec all other frequencies and max temp was 75.

But when i started chargin the phone temps went at 80 +

I didnt understant anything from the wiki article :P

Edit: Also I got 75c while charging at 1000mhz. How normal is that?

Edited by orlox

Guest aaww
Oced at 1400 with sql and got 4k+ at quadrant.

Also run stress test for a good 10 minutes at 1200 by doing 60 sec 1200 1 sec all other frequencies and max temp was 75.

But when i started chargin the phone temps went at 80 +

I didnt understant anything from the wiki article :P

Edit: Also I got 75c while charging at 1000mhz. How normal is that?

Hmm... well OC is anything but normal. there is a reason why LG didnt OC this device upfront.

Guest MillyMoo

I'm on FR17 and mostly concerned with UnderVolting to save battery. i see no need to OverClock for a year, when the hardware MAY start to feel slow compared to newer products.

My system seems stable with

1000mhz - 950mv

800mhz - 850mv

500mhz - 775mv

Are there any other setups/tips i could use to save battery without degrading performance much? Maybe having different steps? Is there any short or long term negative effects from UnderVolting?

Guest somemadcaaant

Don't forget that you cant under volt past 770mv no matter the Mhz.

Generally -50 below normal is ok for each speed.

-smc

Guest withoutwings

An interesting side-effect: with FR15 I was starting to get lots of reboots and freezing, but with a (substantially, ie. -100mv all round) undervolted FR17 I haven't had a single reboot or freeze so far - even when the phone is charging!

Now whether this is due to other changes in FR17 or the undervolting is anyone's guess! But either way I'm not complaining! :P

Guest LevelOne

I have been lucky with my 2X and i can overclock to 1200MHz with 1000mV. 950mV for 1100MHz and 900mV for stock 1000MHz speed...

Rock stable there, no matter what.

Guest withoutwings
I have been lucky with my 2X and i can overclock to 1200MHz with 1000mV. 950mV for 1100MHz and 900mV for stock 1000MHz speed...

Same here! :P

Guest orlox

Those values seem ok for me too.

Maybe lg was planning a future update to catch samsung?

Guest theguv
Those values seem ok for me too.

Maybe lg was planning a future update to catch samsung?

don't think so, my o2x freezes (after like a minute) while playing fruit ninja thd using 900 mV on 1 GHz.

Guest irvine
don't think so, my o2x freezes (after like a minute) while playing fruit ninja thd using 900 mV on 1 GHz.

Same here when testing with Quadrant. -50mV seems ok when stress testing in Pimp my CPU, but Quadrant doesn't like any form of undervolting it seems.

Guest rollet
Same here when testing with Quadrant. -50mV seems ok when stress testing in Pimp my CPU, but Quadrant doesn't like any form of undervolting it seems.

The stresstest in pimp my cpu seems not to be that great. My phone was stable in pimp my cpu test, but crashed as soon i was browsing the internet.

Guest Riemen

A great stress test seems to be Dungeon Defender, which is free at the market. From my experiences, if the phone is able to run this for 10-20 minutes, it is stable.

BTW: For my device stock-100 mV is stable in every step :P

But added another 50 mV to be on the safe side under all circumstances...

Guest Involver

Does anyone actually has some sort of battery graphs to show the difference in batterylife? I've just flashed FR18b2 and will run a few days 'regularly' then graph the battery, before uv and graphing... I just wonder if all the fuzz is actually worth anything for batterylife...

Guest aMpeX

It's hilarious how many people overclock or apply insecure database patches for the sole reason to boost their benchmark scores.

Trym wrote a marvellous post about the SQLite """"""fix"""""" and its risk. I just can't relate to it with my phone running on stock speeds since day one and on the latest CM7 I get even LOWER scores than on stock, but the phone feels so MUCH snappier than before.

Undervolting on the other hand, seems reasonable if you really need the extra battery life, though I doubt that anybody who buys a smartphone has no access to a wallcharger or a USB port at least once a day.

Guest jambezuk
Does anyone actually has some sort of battery graphs to show the difference in batterylife? I've just flashed FR18b2 and will run a few days 'regularly' then graph the battery, before uv and graphing... I just wonder if all the fuzz is actually worth anything for batterylife...

Ta ddaarrrrrr

post-883414-1306309948_thumb.jpg

Medium to Heavy use on 19th and 21st, labelled use on 20th (Phone call was 29mins).

Installed apps on the 20/05/2011:

Mainly ASOP apps apart from LG messaging and Music

- Ringdroid

- Pimp My Cpu

- AppBrain App Market

- Adobe AIR

- Flash Player 10.3

- Blow Up (Lite)

- Tank Hero

- Google Chrome to Phone

- My Tracks

- Google Earth

- Robo Defense

- Angry Birds

- Yoo Ninja! FREE

- Dungeon Defenders: FW Deluxe

- X Construction Lite

- Open GPS Tracker

- Twitter

- Adobe Photoshop Express

- Adobe® Reader®

- Quadrant Standard Edition

- AdFree Android

- GPS Status & Toolbox

- Facebook for Android

- LauncherPro

- Google Shopper

- Google Translate

- Google Goggles

- Fast Reboot

- Tone Picker - MP3 Ringtones

- ROM Manager

- ASTRO File Manager

- Autorun Manager

- Car Mode

- Shazam

- Network TrafficStats Lite

- Titanium Backup ★ root

- Google Maps

- Gmail

- Google Search

- Street View on Google Maps

- Voice Search

- YouTube

- Fireworks LWP

- Water Drops LWP Optimus2x

- Optimus2x Bubbles LWP

- Keyboard from Android 2.3

- Copilot Live

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Involver

Ok... for everyone interested, I roughly tested the effect of underclock + undervolting in my phone the last two weeks. One week without any modification, one week using PimpMyCPU for undervolting and underclocking. The results? Roughly one third more battery life when UV/UC'd!

Here's what I did... Using battery monitor I pulled the battery historie for each week. During the week I've been using the phone as usual, some WiFi (at home), 3G allways on, bluetooth in the car (using Car Kit app to toggle BT on/off) and offcourse normal usage (calling/apps/mail/internet). No apps where installed during the test period and throughout the period I've used the same ROM - FR18b2, no hacks, only the MCR OC kernel.

After the testing period I've run the stats through excel to only get the battery usage for each measurement period (every 5 mins) and only while the phone is not being charged (and turned on offcourse). I consider the usage (in mA) per every 5 minutes a 'delta' and every period of 5 minutes one 'unit'. That way I can abstract the usage per unit of time, without having to worry about charging, phone off, etc. In excel that gave me a nice rundown of 'delta per unit' throughout the discharge period every day.

Then I've added all them all up (the units and delta's) and divided the totals by each other to get an average per day (average mA/minute):

Standard / With UC/UV

Day 1: -6,7 / -5,1

Day 2: -5,9 / -5,8

Day 3: -8,4 / -5,9

Day 4: -8,9 / -2,8

Day 5: -10,6 / -2,5

Day 6: -10,9 / -3,8

Day 7: -6,7 / -7,8

--------------------------------

Avg.:-7,1 / -4,7 <----in mA/minute and no, I didn't take the average from the table above, I calculated it from the totals to be a little more accurate

So, the difference after one week is approximately 65%. The undervolted/underclocked test used 65% less battery... wow... that's significant!

I've used these settings for PmCPU:

Range 300-800Mhz, with modified (conservative) settings: 300/770mV + 500/775mV + 800/850mV

I did notice the phone becoming a little slower, offcourse and without UV/UC I can still easily manage a whole day of normal usage. I'm sure that further tweaking will give better results, I just wanted to test in real life what the difference would be...

Edited by Involver

Guest Involver

Yep... and if can control the urge to flash to FR19 I'll start another test tomorrow. This time only undervolting, keeping the max frequency at 1Ghz. I'm curious what kind of difference this makes!

Guest jambezuk
Yep... and if can control the urge to flash to FR19 I'll start another test tomorrow. This time only undervolting, keeping the max frequency at 1Ghz. I'm curious what kind of difference this makes!

Although I could never bring myself to do that... in the name of science good luck :) If you can manage it I'd be very interested by the results.