Map a Network Drive into Internal Memory

Guest shoulim

Guest shoulim

Hi,

I love the eee pad transformer. Everything is great but 1 thing. Storage capacity. All my books, music and comics (which is quite big, 100gb more or less) is stored in my NAS server.

Is there a way to map a network drive as a internal folder in the internal SD card so I could access those files from any app. For example, ES File Explorer can see those files in the network, but if I use a PDF reader I won't be able to because the network drive is not actually mounted.

Thanks in Advance

Guest jusbriggs
Hi,

I love the eee pad transformer. Everything is great but 1 thing. Storage capacity. All my books, music and comics (which is quite big, 100gb more or less) is stored in my NAS server.

Is there a way to map a network drive as a internal folder in the internal SD card so I could access those files from any app. For example, ES File Explorer can see those files in the network, but if I use a PDF reader I won't be able to because the network drive is not actually mounted.

Thanks in Advance

I'm not sure if it is compatible, but the cifs module allows me to mount a windows share on my HTC desire. I imagine the same can be done with the transformer. Though I did have to mess about with a hex editor to get it to work :P

Guest Magxs

I'm looking for a way to do this as well. On my Dell Streak I was using Extended Controls to activate USB host mode, so I tried this on the Transformer too. However, it says "your device does not support direct control of USB".

Not sure what that means. Does the hardware not support it? Or does Honeycomb not support it?

Guest shoulim
I'm looking for a way to do this as well. On my Dell Streak I was using Extended Controls to activate USB host mode, so I tried this on the Transformer too. However, it says "your device does not support direct control of USB".

Not sure what that means. Does the hardware not support it? Or does Honeycomb not support it?

Cifs manager can do the job, but it needs root. I don't feel like rooting my eee pad until there is a more straight forward way to do it. So will have to wait to use Cifs manager.

Cheers

Guest uncorq
Hi,

Thanks in Advance

I can confirm this working on the Transformer with CIFS manager from the market + flashing Primordial rom w/patches (post 3.1 update) works, but isn't as intuitive as I'd like yet; I can browse to my /mnt/cifs/<mapped drive> as I please, but must copy/paste files to internal memory yet. I'm looking for the file manager that sees both the mapping AND the app to launch for the filetype. This is the first device I've had CIFS working on at all so I probably just need the right file manager. I get by with upnplay for most media streaming, but thats not exactly taking advantage of CIFS. If anyone has a good filemanager reccomendation that avoids having to copy a file over locally, I'll give it a try and report back.

Guest SpyderMS
If anyone has a good filemanager reccomendation that avoids having to copy a file over locally, I'll give it a try and report back.

I love File Manager HD. It's free, looks great, has some type of network support built in (which I haven't tested myself...). You might give that a shot.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wildchld
I love File Manager HD. It's free, looks great, has some type of network support built in (which I haven't tested myself...). You might give that a shot.

+1 on FM HD and yes the network support works with cifs manager

Guest Kasimodo

Hello,

I'm looking for this kind of software.

To reply for File Manager HD.... indeed, there is a lan connection which works well (not very quickly but well) but you need to copy/paste file before reading!

I've tried Cifs Manager.... it works but I can't see mounted directories. So if there is no drive nounted, we can't use UPNPlay for streaming...

But perhaps I don't know how to configure Cifs Manager (I use a TF101 Rooted + Modaco ROM from Paul).

Regards

Kasi