USB 3.0 Charging

Guest thla

So i'm ordering my Transformer from the UK now (Got delayed again over here :rolleyes:) and since i guess i won't be getting a compatible plug(Yes i know they're cheap :P), and would rather want it charging via the PC anyway, i was wondering if charging over USB 3.0 is the same as the wallplug adapter?

Or are they doing some kind of trickery with the USB cable that isn't in the specs?

Guest Vadimus
So i'm ordering my Transformer from the UK now (Got delayed again over here :rolleyes:) and since i guess i won't be getting a compatible plug(Yes i know they're cheap :P), and would rather want it charging via the PC anyway, i was wondering if charging over USB 3.0 is the same as the wallplug adapter?

Or are they doing some kind of trickery with the USB cable that isn't in the specs?

Second scenario is more likely...

Guest SilentMobius

Given that USB 3 can't hold 15v DC according to the spec and the PSU for the transformer outputs 15v, It's pretty much impossible

Guest cunnpole

Mine is plugged in via usb3 and its more of a drip feed than a full charge. Its more than enough for permanent use and pc connection though (very handy when developing software).

Guest thla

This puppy isn't going to be charged by anything let alone USB 3.0 :rolleyes:

Amazon actually just sent it as is, and wrapped it in a piece of brown plastic with the shipping label on it. That didn't turn out too well :P

They're already sending me a replacement though, but quite the annoyance to just anxiously await the thing and get something like that <_<

Edited by thla

Guest stuntdouble
This puppy isn't going to be charged by anything let alone USB 3.0 :rolleyes:

Amazon actually just sent it as is, and wrapped it in a piece of brown plastic with the shipping label on it. That didn't turn out too well :P

They're already sending me a replacement though, but quite the annoyance to just anxiously await the thing and get something like that <_<

Looks like a truck ran over it. =/ Hope your delivery guy gets fired (if it happened after it left the depot).

Guest thla
Looks like a truck ran over it. =/ Hope your delivery guy gets fired (if it happened after it left the depot).

At the very least something heavy fell on it, i could see it on how the impact basically bursted the sides open, not to mention the huge impact crater in the bottom center. I asked them to make sure the replacement was packaged securely and properly, but they merely replied that their way of packaging was proven as the most effective in protecting the package :P

They of course assured me that the new package would arrive securely, and if not they would of course help me with that too.

I'm mostly a bit annoyed with having to return it, the device was cracked open, i'm no expert but usually with stuff like batteries you're not supposed to be shipping them anywhere if it's damaged, and with that kind of damage i can't imagine that the battery wasn't damaged when it was bent like that, not to mention all the fine particles of plastic and glass which could easily escape packaging like that.

Anyway they insisted so i'll be sending it back just as soon as i've got my replacement, but i feel like a borderline criminal shipping potentially hazardous materials back.

Edited by thla

Guest leisurefix
At the very least something heavy fell on it, i could see it on how the impact basically bursted the sides open, not to mention the huge impact crater in the bottom center. I asked them to make sure the replacement was packaged securely and properly, but they merely replied that their way of packaging was proven as the most effective in protecting the package :P

They of course assured me that the new package would arrive securely, and if not they would of course help me with that too.

I'm mostly a bit annoyed with having to return it, the device was cracked open, i'm no expert but usually with stuff like batteries you're not supposed to be shipping them anywhere if it's damaged, and with that kind of damage i can't imagine that the battery wasn't damaged when it was bent like that, not to mention all the fine particles of plastic and glass which could easily escape packaging like that.

Anyway they insisted so i'll be sending it back just as soon as i've got my replacement, but i feel like a borderline criminal shipping potentially hazardous materials back.

Is it possible to see how they assemble the device from the pile of bits that you have there? Interested for when it comes to having to replace the battery, and of course that lifelong fascination and joy in just taking things apart. Can you see how the front & back clip in to the metal frame?

Guest thla

Not going to mess around with it, not gonna jeopardize them taking it back, or endure whatever discomfort of inhaling and touching microshards of glass and plastic :P

Edited by thla

Guest iamdarren

on amazon theres a section to leave feedback just on packaging... i think they pride themselves on this sh!t

make sure you dont forget to comment ;-)

Edited by iamdarren

Guest thla

Received replacement today, same packaging, did survive it this time around though. :P

As far as i could tell it doesn't charge on either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0, atleast the charging icon never pops up.

Guest smovs
Received replacement today, same packaging, did survive it this time around though. :rolleyes:

That's good to know <_< I have a Transformer coming from Amazon (UK) too, how did they deliver yours? Normal postal service or DHL/UPS...? I'm curious 'cos I gave them a PO box address ("døgnpost") 'cos I don't want to deal with the post office, but if they're using something other than the postal service, then I should probably change the delivery address :P

Guest thla
That's good to know :rolleyes: I have a Transformer coming from Amazon (UK) too, how did they deliver yours? Normal postal service or DHL/UPS...? I'm curious 'cos I gave them a PO box address ("døgnpost") 'cos I don't want to deal with the post office, but if they're using something other than the postal service, then I should probably change the delivery address :P

They used Post Danmark, and i assume Royal Mail from the UK > DK part.