tethering Vega to Blackberry Curve 8520

Guest andrew531

Guest andrew531

Hi,

I have searched all over and cant seem to get a straight answer to this question. Is it possible to connect my vega to my blackberry curve to use the internet anywhere?

I would be really grateful for any help or advice.

I have just installed The Modaco Custom Rom R8 version and have nothing else installed as it is only 2 hours old !!

thank you once again and apologies for being a Newbee!

Guest andrewdolphin
Hi,

I have searched all over and cant seem to get a straight answer to this question. Is it possible to connect my vega to my blackberry curve to use the internet anywhere?

I would be really grateful for any help or advice.

I have just installed The Modaco Custom Rom R8 version and have nothing else installed as it is only 2 hours old !!

thank you once again and apologies for being a Newbee!

You can't tether to a curve. A limitation of the blackberry not the Vega.

Guest andrew531
Did you read this yet? Been discussed before.

Yes I have read this thread before and it is totally unhelpful. but thanks for the link anyway

Guest andrew531

What is the cheapest phone that i can buy secondhand to achieve easy cheap tethering? or is there another way on the horizon? Will vegacomb help in reality?

thanks again everyone!!

Guest Dave Marchant

In my discussions with my company's Blackberry provider (we run about 75 of the things), tethering over Wifi is on their roadmap but not yet. It maybe in version 6.1 or maybe later. However, it is quite possible existing devices will not support it.

Also, tethering over bluetooth or USB is only supported (not sure if this just means supported) from a PC or Mac and only then of your mobile provider has enabled the service.

Nothing on the Vega (vegachrome or any other ROM) will change this other than the 'reverse' connection described in the link referred to. In the meantime, you would be better off getting a cheap Android handset that supports tethering over WiFi, or a MiFi unit.

Guest andrew531

I never even though about MIFI !! Ive just checked on Ebay and unlocked units are selling for about £50 so gonna but one !! Im guessing i can just use my Blackberry SIM card which is on O2 and away I go......

thank you so much for your help and suggestions

Guest WelshPhil

I bought a HTC Widfire from Carphone Warehouse, £12.99 a month 200 mins 200 Texts and unlimited data, setting up WiFi Hotspot is easy on this phone and away you go.