Move to Andriod or not? Using my Orange SIM in sim free

Guest Criller

Guest Criller

Hello,

After may years using my trusty Orange SPV M3100 I'm now thinking of treating myself to a new phone. However, I'm not sure which route to go Windows Mobile or Android?? Whichever way I go I'm looking at HTC phones, not sure which one yet.

1. Will my current Orange SIM work in any HTC?

2. Whilst I appreciate to get the most out of smart phones you need to be connected to the Internet. Will an Andriod phone always have to be connected or can you disable Internet whenever you don't need it? It seems a silly question I know but I want to make sure that general functionality of the phone works without Internet access.

3. Andriod over Windows Mobile appears tothe be the better option due to the number of Apps available. Are they are key pros and cons between the two OS's?

Thanks

PJ

Guest flshg
Hello,

After may years using my trusty Orange SPV M3100 I'm now thinking of treating myself to a new phone. However, I'm not sure which route to go Windows Mobile or Android?? Whichever way I go I'm looking at HTC phones, not sure which one yet.

1. Will my current Orange SIM work in any HTC?

2. Whilst I appreciate to get the most out of smart phones you need to be connected to the Internet. Will an Andriod phone always have to be connected or can you disable Internet whenever you don't need it? It seems a silly question I know but I want to make sure that general functionality of the phone works without Internet access.

3. Andriod over Windows Mobile appears tothe be the better option due to the number of Apps available. Are they are key pros and cons between the two OS's?

Thanks

PJ

I am on android, and you can definitely use the phone fine without an internet connection, although you would be missing out on a lot of functionality. However, you could make use of free wifi to gain back that functionality (download apps, read/send emails, web browsing etc).

You would need to get an HTC phone that was already on the orange network, otherwise pay a phone shop to unlock the phone for all networks. HTC phones are difficult to modify (in case you want to install custom roms etc, which are unofficial (aftermarket) versions of the phone operating system).

I have no info on windows phones i'm afraid, but unless you need specific functionality from them e.g. connection to xbox live, then android is the way to go.

Guest Stevonator

I've been using a HTC Android Device for a few months, I've never used a Windows Mobile so I can't compare.

But..... Android is a very good OS. In answer to you're question no you don't need a constant Internet connection you're phone works perfectly with or without one!

You can use you're orange SIM card in absolutely any phone you want, (with the exception of Apple because they thought they'd be annoying and make tiny SIM card slots) Another reason why I DETEST Apple :rolleyes:

Only thing I would say about HTC Phones is be careful when picking up the phone. When you're phone rings, the screen kicks into life and sat just near the bottom of the screen is a bar. You can either slide this bar up to reject it, or down to the bottom to accept it. What I've found which is really annoying is when my phone rings and I put my hand in my pocket to grab it, my fingers slide the bar to the top and rejects calls. So annoying, however it hasn't happened many times so I haven't really looked to see if you can turn that feature off. If you can I'll let you know!

I think what it comes down to is personal preference, if you're talking about the HTC Mozart Windows Phones like the one off the telly then yes it looks nice, but it's new. And do you need xbox live on you're phone? Do you ! <_< I think, no offence to windows phone as I have NEVER used one, but from what I see, Windows Phone is a really good phone, but they take the fun away by giving you everything so you never have to worry, whilst with Android you can constantly download new things, mod it and make it a totally unique phone. That's why I like Android, the sky's the limit.

But if you need a phone that will work and you know you can't break unless you tried extremely hard then go for the Windows phone. If it's for work purposes then go for Windows, but if it's for mates and just plain pratting around :( Then go for Android. You can't go wrong with Android.

I think I blabbed on a bit there :D

Steve :P

Guest Criller

Thanks for your replies.

I think I may go for the HTC Wildfire S for my first venture. It's a cheaper HTC and it may be slower than the Desires of the world but it's a good start.

Cheers

Guest nvkid909
Thanks for your replies.

I think I may go for the HTC Wildfire S for my first venture. It's a cheaper HTC and it may be slower than the Desires of the world but it's a good start.

Cheers

think you'll be fine with htc. I remember hating htc when they used to make their own version of the SPV. They seem to have improved their game loads with these touchscreen models, be it windows OR android.

Guest flshg
Orange San Francisco is a great phone and you can get it even cheaper as an existing orange customer.

And its easier to unlock it for other networks so you can use any other sim card. I would imagine the wildfire s will be more difficult and more expensive to unlock.