Buying Transformer from US

Guest Epic-Emodude

Guest Epic-Emodude

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Transformer, and I was wondering about buying it from the US (I live in the UK) as it is so much cheaper (£340 with keyboards).

Does anyone know of any differences between the two devices that would affect me?

Thanx

Aaron

Guest thla
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Transformer, and I was wondering about buying it from the US (I live in the UK) as it is so much cheaper (£340 with keyboards).

Does anyone know of any differences between the two devices that would affect me?

Thanx

Aaron

The charger will have an US plug, but the adapter itself is very likely universal, so you only need an adapter for it, not a power converter. Then of course you have to pay VAT, Import Duties and etc.

Edited by thla

Guest Uncle Tupelo

£340 plus 20% VAT = £408 plus 3.7% duty = £423 plus customs clearance charge of £8 = £431 plus whatever is charged for delivery. Not looking like too much if a bargain, especially if you need to send it back for any attention under warranty (assuming it comes with an international warranty).

Guest foxmeister
£340 plus 20% VAT = £408 plus 3.7% duty = £423 plus customs clearance charge of £8 = £431 plus whatever is charged for delivery. Not looking like too much if a bargain, especially if you need to send it back for any attention under warranty (assuming it comes with an international warranty).

It only really works if you are in the States anyway and can bring it back with you in your luggage. Of course, you don't want to bring it back "as new", because you can still get clobbered for VAT/duty etc, so you'll have to ditch all the packaging and receipts (post the receipt back home if necessary!), and maintain that you took the item out with you originally.

If you do this, you should also bear in mind that depending on where in the US you buy the device, you may end up having to pay sales tax on the price anyway which varies from state to state.

Regards,

Dave