USB Host

Guest megazig

Guest Azurren
Can we use a female to female USB converter and then connect the USB peripheral on the other end ?

Yes but you would also need to modify the dell cable to "trick" the device into going into host mode

Apparently the DealExtreme cables are missing pins.. Not sure if they have the correct pins to enter host mode :S

Guest mrmrmrmr

I've assembled the cable checking these pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDMI

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/reference/usb.htm

my connector did not have the 4th pin. so I removed pin 30 and inserted it in 4th place.

now, when I plug a usb memory it receives power. (I am still at 1.9.0)

I will update to 1.9.1 beta 6 but I am not sure if I should use the following install option or not:

usbdisk - enables auto mounting of usb drives using host mode - also mounts ntfs drives but breaks usb to pc mounting of streaks sd card.

Guest Azurren

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/reference/usb.htm

my connector did not have the 4th pin. so I removed pin 30 and inserted it in 4th place.

I will update to 1.9.1 beta 6 but I am not sure if I should use the following install option or not:

usbdisk - enables auto mounting of usb drives using host mode - also mounts ntfs drives but breaks usb to pc mounting of streaks sd card.

As I understand that line it should be enabled for USB host to work. But if you mount an NTFS usb device it will stop you from being able to connect your streaks SD card, via USB, until reboot?

Take it with a grain of salt. It won't permanently break anything anyway ;)

Guest mrmrmrmr

I asked Steve and he told me that I didn't need that usbdisk option. That's for auto-mounting. But when it is enabled you lose the chance of mounting SD card to PC.

Instead of auto-mounting I used a Gscript to mount USB drives.

Guest mrmrmrmr

Steve,

Isaw your message on Twitter about modified usb host cables. I'd love to help you but I order straight Streak cables from China and it takes around 3 weeks to receive them.

But if you like I can give you the URL for product on Ebay. After you receive it, modification is very easy; I can give instructions if you go that way.

Guest Azurren
Steve,

Isaw your message on Twitter about modified usb host cables. I'd love to help you but I order straight Streak cables from China and it takes around 3 weeks to receive them.

But if you like I can give you the URL for product on Ebay. After you receive it, modification is very easy; I can give instructions if you go that way.

Does the mod work on these cables (Missing pins?)

Would love a link to a cheap, compatible cable

Guest mrmrmrmr

my cable had the 4th pin missing. but all other 29 pins were available.

So I removed the 30th pin and inserted it into the 4th pin slot.

It worked.

Guest mrmrmrmr

ok; I have a problem then.

I mount with option "-o rw" and I can see it mounted rw with mount command.

but I can't write any data to the folder. I tried renaming a file, creating a new folder. root explorer says it is done but result is not done.

any idea ?

Guest mrmrmrmr
check dmesg see if any logs show

nothing interesting in the dmesg output.

when I try to create directory in shell (busybox), it says "operation not permitted"

but the mount output shows rw option.

have you tried with any ntfs volume ?

Guest mrmrmrmr

I've tried with another ntfs formatted usb disk. same result.

btw, one of the usb memories was 32gb, the other is 16gb. should I try with a smaller usb memory ?

• 1 month later...
Guest undrwater

http://www.accesscom...ference/usb.htm

I've picked up a cheap chinese cable as well for this purpose. When you report yours did not have the 4th pin, are you saying it wasn't there to solder to the 2nd? ie: just plastic there? Or looking into the slot you didn't see it? Have you had any success with using host?

@megazig: have you compiled that ftdi module?

Guest Dragon7

I asked Steve and he told me that I didn't need that usbdisk option. That's for auto-mounting. But when it is enabled you lose the chance of mounting SD card to PC.

Instead of auto-mounting I used a Gscript to mount USB drives.

when I try to create directory in shell (busybox), it says "operation not permitted"

but the mount output shows rw option.

So what's the route for manual mounting of USB drives? What should I write in Gscript file, or in Busybox, to mount a USB drive?

And what if I want to host a usb keyboard, or other devices?

Best regards,

Guest mrmrmrmr

I've picked up a cheap chinese cable as well for this purpose. When you report yours did not have the 4th pin, are you saying it wasn't there to solder to the 2nd? ie: just plastic there? Or looking into the slot you didn't see it? Have you had any success with using host?

@megazig: have you compiled that ftdi module?

Mine didn't have the 4th pin there. Only plastic.

So I removed one of the unused pins and inserted it to 4th plastic slot.

It works great. No problems except that I can't write to NTFS partitions.

I am still waiting for Steve's comment on that.

Guest mrmrmrmr

So what's the route for manual mounting of USB drives? What should I write in Gscript file, or in Busybox, to mount a USB drive?

And what if I want to host a usb keyboard, or other devices?

Best regards,

Just plug the usb keyboard , it runs well.

For USB drives you have to mount by a standard linux mount command:

mount /device/name /mount/point