Playing Movies through HDMI to tv

Guest GTP04

So I have figured out that by converting any divx, xvid, what have you, you can properly play movies using the stock android movie player, through hdmi to an HD tv. Just use a program to convert to h.264 (mp4)

what i am wondering is is there anything else or any way to convert these movies and not have them be 2x larger in file size. I upped the framerate up a little from what the auto does with the program i am using, but i am doing this because i was getting a littly choppiness at the 23.75 or whatever the defaut was. So far the file sizes havent been that big a deal considering we have microsd, an sdcard slot on the dock and can use usb sticks, its easy enough to have extra memory to hold the movies, but i would still like to see if i can decrease the size.

i am using Freemake video converter to convert xvids and divx to h.264 using the apple option, and then tweaking out the settings to optimize for the resolution. I read that this is the only format that the tegra will use hardware decoding to play it, and have found that this is the ony way i can get it to play from the transformer through hdmi to my tv.

I have upped the framerate to 30 fps i believe, and have gone from about 1400MB to almost 2500MB. I guss thats actually not that bad, but anyone have any tips to my process to make it even better?

Guest SilentMobius
So I have figured out that by converting any divx, xvid, what have you, you can properly play movies using the stock android movie player, through hdmi to an HD tv. Just use a program to convert to h.264 (mp4)

what i am wondering is is there anything else or any way to convert these movies and not have them be 2x larger in file size. I upped the framerate up a little from what the auto does with the program i am using, but i am doing this because i was getting a littly choppiness at the 23.75 or whatever the defaut was. So far the file sizes havent been that big a deal considering we have microsd, an sdcard slot on the dock and can use usb sticks, its easy enough to have extra memory to hold the movies, but i would still like to see if i can decrease the size.

i am using Freemake video converter to convert xvids and divx to h.264 using the apple option, and then tweaking out the settings to optimize for the resolution. I read that this is the only format that the tegra will use hardware decoding to play it, and have found that this is the ony way i can get it to play from the transformer through hdmi to my tv.

I have upped the framerate to 30 fps i believe, and have gone from about 1400MB to almost 2500MB. I guss thats actually not that bad, but anyone have any tips to my process to make it even better?

If your source material is below 30fps upping your encoding framerate to 30fps will not make the resultant video smoother it will simply make the file bigger, _always_ encode and the same framerate as the original unless you have a very good reason not to.

Assuming you're sticking to baseline h.264 (no CABAC, no b-frames, 1 ref frame) then the only thing you can change to lower the filesize is the bitrate, if you want to half the size, half the bitrate (ignoring audio).

Guest GTP04
If your source material is below 30fps upping your encoding framerate to 30fps will not make the resultant video smoother it will simply make the file bigger, _always_ encode and the same framerate as the original unless you have a very good reason not to.

Assuming you're sticking to baseline h.264 (no CABAC, no b-frames, 1 ref frame) then the only thing you can change to lower the filesize is the bitrate, if you want to half the size, half the bitrate (ignoring audio).

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Idlefrog

I use vplayer. It plays AVI files perfectly with no conversions necessary. Choose high video quality and it is fine via HDMI.

Guest GTP04
I use vplayer. It plays AVI files perfectly with no conversions necessary. Choose high video quality and it is fine via HDMI.

I tried that and it would not play a Divx movie through HDMI to my tv yusing software decoding