I'm intrested in making a rom

Guest Psyloid

Guest Psyloid

So, i'm quite interested at making my own rom, i can program java, but where do i begin?

how do i edit the files, what software do i need, do i need a linux pc, any links to usefull sites or forums?

any starter guides out there? Thanks

Guest ThrashMan

Do you think this is Google!? :P

By "making" do you mean:

build a ROM from source code OR pulling apart an existing ROM and customising it?

Edited by ThrashMan

Guest Psyloid
Do you think this is Google!? :P

By "making" do you mean:

build a ROM from source code OR pulling apart an existing ROM and customising it?

Let me asure you, i tried google, i meant taking the source code from android 2.3.4 and then fix it up so it runs on the blade, using an official blade 2.2 rom

Guest Mushroom_Lord

This will be a mighty job! All our ROM's are built from official sources, except Cm7 - which is developed by a "huge" community! (and Possibly some of the other 2.1 ROM's were built by "groups" bladevillain springs to mind, but I entered the scene too late for that)

There is the exception of the Blade's honeycomb ROM - built from a leaked Zoom build, using the Cm7 kernel (or so I believe) And compiled by about 2 people!

Just warning you, this could take quite a while! :P

Great news! Really.

I'm sorry but, what was the point of that?

Edited by Mushroom_Lord

Guest Swimmerboy
I think i will first play with some existing roms, actually i already threw smth together, posting it asap

I'd do this to start with so you can see what different things do. Play around with an existing one, add/remove apps, edit build.prop, even set yourself a challenge to get the ROM as small as possible to see exactly what you need to strip out.

Once you know how it all goes together you'll have a better understanding of things.

Guest Tony Sidaway

I'm in much the same position as Psyloid, although my thinking is that it would make more sense for me to contribute to an existing firmware set like CyanogenMod. I think making one's own custom firmware from the Android release is, at least for me, both wasteful and over-ambitious.

I've been working on building CyanogenMod and also (because I'm only familiar with the standard Sun/Oracle JDKs) writing small applications for Android in order to learn as much about the system as possible.

Edited by Tony Sidaway

Guest k0zmic
I'm in much the same position as Psyloid, although my thinking is that it would make more sense for me to contribute to an existing firmware set like CyanogenMod. I think making one's own custom firmware from the Android release is, at least for me, both wasteful and over-ambitious.

I've been working on building CyanogenMod and also (because I'm only familiar with the standard Sun/Oracle JDKs) writing small applications for Android in order to learn as much about the system as possible.

If you want to and can contribute to CM then that would probably be appreciated by the dev's. I think you could contribute code to gerrit but I don't really know much about how these projects work. Personally I feel it's good to have a plenty of firmware's to choose from.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.