HELP HELP!

Guest Toonday

Guest Toonday

Hello there, Im new to this forum and I just bought my Advent Vega yesterday and I tried following the instructions but its just not working for me.

I dont understand the whole steps to achieving recovery mode on the device. Can anyone give me a more concise and less vague explanation on how to flash the Modaco R8? thanks

Guest premieral
Hello there, Im new to this forum and I just bought my Advent Vega yesterday and I tried following the instructions but its just not working for me.

I dont understand the whole steps to achieving recovery mode on the device. Can anyone give me a more concise and less vague explanation on how to flash the Modaco R8? thanks

can you give us a more concise and less vague explanation of what you have tried and what you have read?

Guest Toonday
can you give us a more concise and less vague explanation of what you have tried and what you have read?

how to boot into recovery mode

Guest Toonday
why do you want to do that? are you trying to install Modaco R8 rom?

yes but i dont really understand this thing, can you tell me the whole situation please?

Guest pkmsigns
why do you want to do that? are you trying to install Modaco R8 rom?

I,m interested as well......lt does seem that most info assumes a level of knowledge, wereas newbees are just lost with all the terms used....please be understanding & help us get to your level

Guest pkmsigns
yes but i dont really understand this thing, can you tell me the whole situation please?

Hope u get help as that will help me too, im waiting to load r8 but hesitant because of termiknowlegys etc......i 'll follow if you dont mind

Pete

Guest trevor432990

Hi guys .... you need to do a bit of reading first and I would suggest you start by bookmarking this page then following the links within it to get the answers to most of your questions. Once you've done that come back if you get stuck and in the next post make it clear in the subject field what the problem is not just HELP! :P

Guest premieral
I,m interested as well......lt does seem that most info assumes a level of knowledge, wereas newbees are just lost with all the terms used....please be understanding & help us get to your level

Trust me i was and still am more of a noob than any of you :P and when i joined in february the level of help was far less but it was and still is all their for you to read.

what people need to know to really help is what stage you are at and they can guide you through from their.

however the biggest issue that everybody seems to have initially is installing the correct drivers, once you have these then from their on in it is plain sailing.

if you havent already installed the drivers that you need to set up the android development bridge ( adb ) this is the first critical step.

you cant use clockwork mod until you have installed it so i think you were trying to get into recovery without having recovery installed??

So walk first :rolleyes: the best threads to read and use are the modaco rom kitchen where you can download your rom, then if you are struggling with the driver installation there has been some great work done by Simonta with his AUDI thread ( automatic driver install ) once you have the driver set up and installed the rest really is a piece of cake! so get your drivers installed and rom loaded then come back with any queries or problems, the ealth of knowledge on here is tremendous, to help shorten your searches look for help with drivers from Simonta, help with installing clockwork mod from add the bad or solidaire both created great tools to help.

But remember read loads its all here and ask anytime for help if people can they will but try to be a bit more specific as to what stage etc you are at and where you need help.

regards

Al

Guest pkmsigns
Trust me i was and still am more of a noob than any of you :P and when i joined in february the level of help was far less but it was and still is all their for you to read.

what people need to know to really help is what stage you are at and they can guide you through from their.

however the biggest issue that everybody seems to have initially is installing the correct drivers, once you have these then from their on in it is plain sailing.

if you havent already installed the drivers that you need to set up the android development bridge ( adb ) this is the first critical step.

you cant use clockwork mod until you have installed it so i think you were trying to get into recovery without having recovery installed??

So walk first :rolleyes: the best threads to read and use are the modaco rom kitchen where you can download your rom, then if you are struggling with the driver installation there has been some great work done by Simonta with his AUDI thread ( automatic driver install ) once you have the driver set up and installed the rest really is a piece of cake! so get your drivers installed and rom loaded then come back with any queries or problems, the ealth of knowledge on here is tremendous, to help shorten your searches look for help with drivers from Simonta, help with installing clockwork mod from add the bad or solidaire both created great tools to help.

But remember read loads its all here and ask anytime for help if people can they will but try to be a bit more specific as to what stage etc you are at and where you need help.

regards

Al

Thats great but you mention downloading etc, is this all done onto pc then transferred/installed from there onto tablet? These,are the sort of thing we just dont know.....i will start reading again.....cheers & thanks for thr patience.....pete

Guest dibbles

There has been this guide posted by beepo666 and hosted here...

http://u.bb/C9o

...you can read and then adapt some of the steps involved if, for example, you wish to install Corvus5 ROM by CWM.

As this was my second Android device things were a little easier for me but the hardest part was just getting the CORRECT USB drivers installed and then clockwork. From there I just installed the Corvus5 ROM having been used to doing that from owning my San Francisco Android phone.

From the above guide it will show you how to use the "AUDI" package to install the correct USB drivers and whilst it takes you through the procedures needed to install the 1.10 official ROM you might not wish to do that.

However the tutorial is excellent.

Best of luck to you in your endeavours.

Guest premieral
Thats great but you mention downloading etc, is this all done onto pc then transferred/installed from there onto tablet? These,are the sort of thing we just dont know.....i will start reading again.....cheers & thanks for thr patience.....pete

ok to try to be as simple as possible, the initial stages all involve getting the drivers and the rom onto your pc so it will talk to and transfer things to the vega, so put your vega to one side and do all the initial rom set up on your pc or laptop.

then once you have downloaded the rom file from the modaco kitchen thread in stickies follow the instructions their about installing the drivers on your pc.

if at this stage you struggle to get the drivers installed then look to Simonta for help with his AUDi or YAUDI threads.

once the adb is complete then again follow the instructions in the modaco rom kitchen thread and transfer or flash your new rom onto the vega.

it does it all itself and will guide you through what to do.

once rebooted thats it you are now upgraded to a shiny new rom.

from here you can now install clockwork mod , i personaly found solidares vegatools 3 the best for me for this , and what CWM ( clockwork mod) does is it allows you to flash new roms or back up existing ones directly onto and from your vega so the pc is no longer needed and the whole process is much much easier and so very much quicker.

good luck and remember it has been said in here so many times, you can not brick your vega through doing this so just bite the bullet and go for it you wont look back, and then you can play with vegacomb which is simply another level again when it comes to showing what the tablet can do :P if you dont want to keep posting just pm me i will always try and help or point you somewhere if i cant :rolleyes:

Guest pkmsigns
ok to try to be as simple as possible, the initial stages all involve getting the drivers and the rom onto your pc so it will talk to and transfer things to the vega, so put your vega to one side and do all the initial rom set up on your pc or laptop.

then once you have downloaded the rom file from the modaco kitchen thread in stickies follow the instructions their about installing the drivers on your pc.

if at this stage you struggle to get the drivers installed then look to Simonta for help with his AUDi or YAUDI threads.

once the adb is complete then again follow the instructions in the modaco rom kitchen thread and transfer or flash your new rom onto the vega.

it does it all itself and will guide you through what to do.

once rebooted thats it you are now upgraded to a shiny new rom.

from here you can now install clockwork mod , i personaly found solidares vegatools 3 the best for me for this , and what CWM ( clockwork mod) does is it allows you to flash new roms or back up existing ones directly onto and from your vega so the pc is no longer needed and the whole process is much much easier and so very much quicker.

good luck and remember it has been said in here so many times, you can not brick your vega through doing this so just bite the bullet and go for it you wont look back, and then you can play with vegacomb which is simply another level again when it comes to showing what the tablet can do :P if you dont want to keep posting just pm me i will always try and help or point you somewhere if i cant :rolleyes:

thats fantastic....will spend a good amount of time over weekend, reading & playing, to hopefully emerge with a updgraded system.thanx again for the PM offer

Guest thwacker

See my

on updating to Modaco R6. The upgrade to R8 uses the same technique.

Can I suggest that you upgrade to Corvus5 instead of Modaco R8. Corvus5 is more up to date than R8 and a good launching pad into the next ROM iteration, VegaComb.

I was given 2 Vegas last week onto which I loaded Corvus5 using the alternative to CWM method. CWM = ClockworkMod. Here's a useful guide to CWM

Unzip the file and use install-x where x is your operating system. If windows doesnt recognize the tablet use the usb drivers that are into the zip. This is the way that Modaco ROM is installed so if you have problem, please go to its post to see how to resolve.

It was quick and easy and worked fine for me. Normally I use CWM to install ROMs but this method was quicker on a new Vega. Once you've loaded Corvus5 then you can use CWM through ROM Manager to install VegaComb.

Guest pkmsigns
thats fantastic....will spend a good amount of time over weekend, reading & playing, to hopefully emerge with a updgraded system.thanx again for the PM offer

Hi prem...well have been trying BUT windows xp seems to keep kicking back errors when i try to load any of the drivers .... just at a stand still now.

vega still working on old system but PC just does not want to know.

i can plug the vega into pc, i hear the usb logging & an extra drive comes onto explore BUT when I press the drive it says 'please insert a disk into drive k'

if i deselect debugging on vega, it allows me to turn on usb storage & the drive is then active...........so where can i go from here please?

Guest spacecadetuk
Hi prem...well have been trying BUT windows xp seems to keep kicking back errors when i try to load any of the drivers .... just at a stand still now.

vega still working on old system but PC just does not want to know.

i can plug the vega into pc, i hear the usb logging & an extra drive comes onto explore BUT when I press the drive it says 'please insert a disk into drive k'

if i deselect debugging on vega, it allows me to turn on usb storage & the drive is then active...........so where can i go from here please?

so are you still on the stock ROM i.e the one it shipped with

have you tried this, it really does simplify everything

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...ega-tools-v3-0/

if you use the above to get CWM onto your Vega everything else is a doddle

this is the driver info, also very helpful

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...iver-installer/

the only other thing i can say is read,read and read again and keep trying, its worth the effort and once you've done it once it's not to difficult

Edited by spacecadetuk

Guest pkmsigns
so are you still on the stock ROM i.e the one it shipped with

have you tried this, it really does simplify everything

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...ega-tools-v3-0/

if you use the above to get CWM onto your Vega everything else is a doddle

this is the driver info, also very helpful

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...iver-installer/

the only other thing i can say is read,read and read again and keep trying, its worth the effort and once you've done it once it's not to difficult

thanks .. goin to try this tonite

pete

Is there any movement on a meet in june, would be great to have some physical help with all thius as I find it quite confusing, even if there was a 'beer bucket' for donations etc :D

Guest premieral
thanks .. goin to try this tonite

pete

Is there any movement on a meet in june, would be great to have some physical help with all thius as I find it quite confusing, even if there was a 'beer bucket' for donations etc :D

Vegatools is a great tool but will not work until the modaco driver has been installed, so if you are struggling with the driver install i have bumped simons superb audi and yaudi to the top of the forum, these are automated driver install apps.

all the best

a

also just remembered Zebrahead put a script on here to install Clockwork mod wirelessly over your wifi connection using adbwireless i think from market, so this is another avenue you can try just do a search above for wireless cwm and it should pop up

Edited by premieral

Guest pkmsigns
Vegatools is a great tool but will not work until the modaco driver has been installed, so if you are struggling with the driver install i have bumped simons superb audi and yaudi to the top of the forum, these are automated driver install apps.

all the best

a

also just remembered Zebrahead put a script on here to install Clockwork mod wirelessly over your wifi connection using adbwireless i think from market, so this is another avenue you can try just do a search above for wireless cwm and it should pop up

Well, after all the hassle, I decided to try audi then corvus5 via my laptop, BANG straight away.............loaded & running, market, flash etc etc thanks guys for all the encouragements, wilol follow avidley for new updates/improvements/comb etc.

BIG BIG thanks.

Pete

Guest pkmsigns
Well, after all the hassle, I decided to try audi then corvus5 via my laptop, BANG straight away.............loaded & running, market, flash etc etc thanks guys for all the encouragements, wilol follow avidley for new updates/improvements/comb etc.

BIG BIG thanks.

Pete

now can anyone tell me how I read from a memory stick??

Guest IanTurner
now can anyone tell me how I read from a memory stick??

There should be an app to swap between USB master and slave mode as at the moment it's in slave and won't recognise

any usb devices plugged into it.

Guest simonta
There should be an app to swap between USB master and slave mode as at the moment it's in slave and won't recognise

any usb devices plugged into it.

There is, depending on which ROM and kernel you have. For MCR, there is an app installed with the ROM. For most other ROMs, you hold down back during boot. The instructions for each ROM tell you what to do.

Guest pkmsigns
There is, depending on which ROM and kernel you have. For MCR, there is an app installed with the ROM. For most other ROMs, you hold down back during boot. The instructions for each ROM tell you what to do.

I have corvus5............so what do i need to do to read from a memory stick? ... plz

Guest flip.c
I have corvus5............so what do i need to do to read from a memory stick? ... plz

Hi,

With the power off on the vega, insert your memory stick in to the usb slot. Then, whilst powering up the vega, hold down the 'back' button (the one on the right of the power button). Keep this held as the vega boots to the splash screen (you should see some activity on the sticks LED).

You can access the stick through a file explorer (ifilemanager etc.) and it is listed as usbdisk.

Hope this is of some help!

Phill

Edit: if you add the USB Host Mode indicator Widget from Corvus5 to the home screen, then you'll be able to see what usb mode you're in. Needs to be host and not slave

Edited by flip.c

Guest pkmsigns
Hi,

With the power off on the vega, insert your memory stick in to the usb slot. Then, whilst powering up the vega, hold down the 'back' button (the one on the right of the power button). Keep this held as the vega boots to the splash screen (you should see some activity on the sticks LED).

You can access the stick through a file explorer (ifilemanager etc.) and it is listed as usbdisk.

Hope this is of some help!

Phill

Edit: if you add the USB Host Mode indicator Widget from Corvus5 to the home screen, then you'll be able to see what usb mode you're in. Needs to be host and not slave

thanx Phill....I'm getting there slowly....will try this tonite cheers