Which tablet

Guest hazi1964

Guest hazi1964

Hi all, I'm trying to decide which internet tablet to get myself next month. First, it was Ipad 2 but the lack of connectivity and the locked down operating system has put me off.

My 1st choice at the moment is the Asus Eee Transformer, however, there are one or two things I would like to know about it that I can't seem to find anywhere else.

1) Are there any usb ports on the tablet part itself or are they all on the keyboard?

2) One of the other tablets is able to connect to 3g using a normal sim card in a 3g dongle, can the Transformer do this too?

3) Does it feel really plasticky? A friend has said it's all plastic apart from the rim and thinks it would feel cheap and damage easily (he's an Apple fanboy though).

I think that's all for the time being on that one.

The other one I am interested in is right at the other end of the market and not listed in device specific but will mention it anyway.

It's the Flytouch3 Superpad2, Android 2.2, it has resistive touch which I don't normally like but my friend in Portsmouth has one and he says it's pretty sensitive. It does do everything else I want but the resisitive touch is the only downside I can see so far.

If anybody does have any insight on the Flytouch, it would be appreciated if you could post some comparison pros and cons between those two devices, though I'm not expecting anybody to know too much about this one so no worries if nobody can enlighten me.

Thank you in advance for any replies and I look forward to reading and learning and hopefully making a decision in the not too distant future.

Alison

Guest fisha21
Hi all, I'm trying to decide which internet tablet to get myself next month. First, it was Ipad 2 but the lack of connectivity and the locked down operating system has put me off.

1) Are there any usb ports on the tablet part itself or are they all on the keyboard?

2) One of the other tablets is able to connect to 3g using a normal sim card in a 3g dongle, can the Transformer do this too?

3) Does it feel really plasticky? A friend has said it's all plastic apart from the rim and thinks it would feel cheap and damage easily (he's an Apple fanboy though).

1) No, the only ports on the device itself are mini-HDMI, microSD and the Asus proprietary connector. I had the same difficulty getting an answer to this question til I bought one! There is supposedly an adapter planned that will allow you to connect USB to the proprietary connector - like the iPad camera connector kit.

2) Not sure about this one. Obviously the lack of USB port is a drawback, but not sure if it'll work with the USB adapter. I know some developers on XDA managed to get the Archos A101it to work with a 3G dongle (the Archos has a full size USB), but it did require them creating additional kernel modules/drivers.

3) I'm pretty happy with the build quality. The rim is metal, and the back is plastic, but I think it feels sturdy and solid - not too heavy. Plus, the colouring of the rim and back make a pretty nice match to the Desire's colours...

Hope that helps!

Guest thla

1) USB Ports are only on the keyboard unfortunately :P (There is rumors about a 40-pin to usb converter being a future accessory though)

2) Don't know for sure, it obviously can be made into supporting them as it does support host mode usb, but if it does it out of the box i don't know.

3) Well it is plastic, it doesn't feel that way because the back has grooves that make it feel a bit rugged instead, but it's not rugged in a way that it makes it super slide resistant.

Guest NeilLewis22

Just got one and it looks and feels much better then the other devices and coming from a vega IPS screen is the winner

Guest Bonzo1
It's the Flytouch3 Superpad2, Android 2.2, it has resistive touch which I don't normally like but my friend in Portsmouth has one and he says it's pretty sensitive. It does do everything else I want but the resisitive touch is the only downside I can see so far.

If anybody does have any insight on the Flytouch, it would be appreciated if you could post some comparison pros and cons between those two devices, though I'm not expecting anybody to know too much about this one so no worries if nobody can enlighten me.

Alison

I have a flytouch 2 and I have to say that the resistive touchscreen is incredibly responsive, much more responsove than my Archos 5, and virtually as responsive as my (capacative) blade phone.

Guest blondejon

My 1st choice at the moment is the Asus Eee Transformer, however, there are one or two things I would like to know about it that I can't seem to find anywhere else.

I think that's all for the time being on that one.

The other one I am interested in is right at the other end of the market and not listed in device specific but will mention it anyway.

Thank you in advance for any replies and I look forward to reading and learning and hopefully making a decision in the not too distant future.

Alison

Buy one, you wont regret it, an ipad2 owning friend thought the plastic back looked like carbonfibre!! After my epad this is like a whole different world... apart from most browsers insisting on running as mobile versions ive had no complaints

Guest tomqman

if you live near a carphone warhouse. you should go there. mine have eeepad , xoom, htc flyer, ipad 2, and the cheapy crap tablets. all sat there waiting for you to play on

Guest lynnd

1. Dito

2. If your phone is wifi hot spot enabled you can use that to conect to 3g with no extra cost if you have a data plan.

3. Quality is pretty good and sturdy. Knocked it off the tv table onto solid floor whilst playing iplayer through tv, it didn't miss a beat. (Dont suggest anyone else tries that)

Love mine.

Guest Uncle Tupelo
3. Quality is pretty good and sturdy. Knocked it off the tv table onto solid floor whilst playing iplayer through tv, it didn't miss a beat.

Unlike your heart?

Guest hazi1964
Yep!

Thanks for those replies, still undecided here. lol.

My choice is narrowed down now to ipad 2 or Asus Eee Pad Transformer.

I saw a video demo of the transformer the other day and they pointed out that there are usb ports on the tablet part. Confused now.

I will have to watch again and maybe some other vids too.

Alison.

Guest lynnd

I saw a video demo of the transformer the other day and they pointed out that there are usb ports on the tablet part. Confused now.

Alison.

HDMI out and micro SD on tablet, keyboard has extra SD card and 2 USB. Have a look at

http://www.stuff.tv/top-10s/tablets &

http://www.stuff.tv/top-10s/laptops-netbooks

They rate the Transformer i 2nd tablet and 8th Laptop/netbook

• 1 month later...
Guest sockgoblin

Alison.

hello alison

Ive recently got an ASUS Transformer and have put some of my thoughts etc on a blog

hope that it helps

www.sockgoblin.blogspot.com