Exynos or Tegra 2

Guest Epic-Emodude

Guest Epic-Emodude

Hi,

I am looking at buying the SII from 02 in the not to distant future. Does anyone know if im likely to get the exynos or tegra 2 model, and what the differences are?

Thanx

Aaron

Guest rovex

You will get the Exynos version. No one has a Tegra unit. The I-9100 model is Exynos only, whether any other models will be Tegra is still unknown. Exynos is faster in pretty much every way. Tegra is getting better game support because of Nvidias 'influence', but im not sure how long that will realistically last.

Guest dfghggfgfd
I am looking at buying the SII from 02 in the not to distant future. Does anyone know if im likely to get the exynos or tegra 2 model, and what the differences are?

As far as I know, no Galaxy S2 devices with Tegra2 have been shipped until now.

You can easily differentiate the 2 models by the model-number, exynos is I9100, Tegra 2 is I9103.

The CPUs are 2 Cortex-A9 processors in both cases, but Exynos uses the NEON SIMD-extenstions, Tegra doesn´t. The SIMD-extensions could be useful for multimedia-spplications.

Tegra 2 officially only supports 1080p with main-profile, I know the Galaxy S2 with Exynos can play High-Profile videos in 1080p. I don´t know if the missing NEON-extensions are responsible for it, but more likely it is the video-processor. I also don´t know if Samsung maybe still can do something in Software to support 1080p-HP on Tegra2.

On the other hand the Geforce ULP in the Tegra2 seems to be more powerful than the Mali-400 in the Exynos.

There are also rumors the Tegra-version won´t use a AMOLED, but a LCD instead.

So from the outside Tegra seems to be the better gaming-device, Exynos the better multimedia-device.

I don´t think you will see much difference in performance, the most obvious difference might be the probably different display.

Guest Nik Louch

Off the back of this thread, I have just ordered - as I'd rather have the current processor than the Tegra 2. I'm not a phone gamer!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest forelli

On top of that, the Tegra 2 version I9103 will sport 2x1 Ghz and not 2x1.2 Ghz like the Exynos.

As far as I know, no Galaxy S2 devices with Tegra2 have been shipped until now.

You can easily differentiate the 2 models by the model-number, exynos is I9100, Tegra 2 is I9103.

The CPUs are 2 Cortex-A9 processors in both cases, but Exynos uses the NEON SIMD-extenstions, Tegra doesn´t. The SIMD-extensions could be useful for multimedia-spplications.

Tegra 2 officially only supports 1080p with main-profile, I know the Galaxy S2 with Exynos can play High-Profile videos in 1080p. I don´t know if the missing NEON-extensions are responsible for it, but more likely it is the video-processor. I also don´t know if Samsung maybe still can do something in Software to support 1080p-HP on Tegra2.

On the other hand the Geforce ULP in the Tegra2 seems to be more powerful than the Mali-400 in the Exynos.

There are also rumors the Tegra-version won´t use a AMOLED, but a LCD instead.

So from the outside Tegra seems to be the better gaming-device, Exynos the better multimedia-device.

I don´t think you will see much difference in performance, the most obvious difference might be the probably different display.