Just switched to FLB r11b Lite & GEN2 - Market no longer works

Guest CrystalLettuce

Guest CrystalLettuce

Either on PC or the phone, I cannot download anything from the market. I see the download icon appear briefly then disappear. This is pretty crazy.

Guest Mushroom_Lord

The cache partition (where market downloads download to) is only 2mb if you used wbaw's tool.

You can either:

a) repartition

or

:D Use Cm7 or SS (or ROM's based upon them) - because they redirect market downloads somewhere else...

Guest CrystalLettuce

Yes, I'm getting more than a bit tired of everyone presuming I know how to do everything already. Is there any way to make FLB redirect downloads too?

Guest CrystalLettuce

Does this mean I have to reinstall everything AGAIN? Also Gen1 thing you gave me.

Edited by CrystalLettuce

Guest n1ck75

[1. Download this >> http://www.multiupload.com/OFQ4TD4JRD (thanks to dibbles)

2. Unrar

3.copy /image/ folder to root of sdcard

4. Reboot phone and hold Vol Up until Green writing and boot

5. Boot into Recovery (should do this auto)

6. Flash non CM7 ROM as usual.

140mb system 20mb cache and 280mb data

The Assumption is from CM7 assuming that its ok to change your Partition to 2mb because CM7 can handle it fine, unfortunately the rest of the Roms dont

Guest KonstaT
But since I have to repartition to get a bigger cahce, I have to reinstall everything again?

If you flash cache2tmpfs_blade_froyo_signed.zip you don't have to repartition. It directs everything that would normally go to /cache (market downloads) to tmpfs in your phones memory.

If all this feels too difficult for you, you can install Swedish Spring or CM7, which both can handle redirecting cache.

Guest TouchyAndalou
So I have to reinstall everything again since the FLB guys had pretty much no foresight? Great.

What an ordeal you must be going through. I think you should ask the FLB guys for your money back.

Guest CrystalLettuce
What an ordeal you must be going through. I think you should ask the FLB guys for your money back.

Hey, I appreciate the work these guys do for(technically) nothing. But when you're running the risk of someone bricking their phone, you have to be a little more responsible. Warning people of the consequences tends to get countered by when people try to make things look simple. I don't understand why people even bother putting up those warnings when they then say "... and perform these 4 steps. Simples!"

It's not always simple, and things can go wrong that require more questions to be asked. I'm used to updating firmware and poking around in other devices but I'm new to Android. I wasn't even going to get an Android, but I needed a new phone desperately as my old Nokia conked out and since the SanFran was so cheap I thought I may as well pick it up. Having my phone out of action for extended periods at the moment or things not working is not good. With SS5 I had nasty battery drain and had to change it.

It is not just the FLB guys and maybe it's unfair of me to single them out after the work they put in, but in general I find minimal and ambiguous instructions at every corner, and presumptions you understand everything that's being said.

When I find a ROM that works well for me I am going to donate for sure. But for now a constant slew of things have gone wrong so Android has not been an enjoyable experience for me.

Edited by CrystalLettuce

Guest irishpancake
Hey, I appreciate the work these guys do for(technically) nothing. But when you're running the risk of someone bricking their phone, you have to be a little more responsible. Warning people of the consequences tends to get countered by when people try to make things look simple. I don't understand why people even bother putting up those warnings when they then say "... and perform these 4 steps. Simples!"

It's not always simple, and things can go wrong that require more questions to be asked. I'm used to updating firmware and poking around in other devices but I'm new to Android. I wasn't even going to get an Android, but I needed a new phone desperately as my old Nokia conked out and since the SanFran was so cheap I thought I may as well pick it up. Having my phone out of action for extended periods at the moment or things not working is not good. With SS5 I had nasty battery drain and had to change it.

It is not just the FLB guys and maybe it's unfair of me to single them out after the work they put in, but in general I find minimal and ambiguous instructions at every corner, and presumptions you understand everything that's being said.

When I find a ROM that works well for me I am going to donate for sure. But for now a constant slew of things have gone wrong so Android has not been an enjoyable experience for me.

Hey Mr/Ms CrystalLettuce......what an ungrateful person you are!!!!

You come on this forum, the most popular on Modaco, and bitch about how devs should have realised just how you are too dumb to have a smart phone, in advance......

and at the same time you also slander Android developers on www.boards.ie

I do not like the Android modding community

I am tired of all this, I have had nothing but awkward **** happen with my ZTE Blade, things not working, now i have to flash another ROM AGAIN because nobody told me the market doesn't work in FLB Gen2. I understand these people are doing it for free, but they have almost no foresight, don't seem to consider essential features going missing as a big deal, and give you the most minimal instructions. I don't like ambiguity because I know how easily I could brick my phone doing this. I think they're very irresponsible as not everyone who wants to get maximum functionality out of their phone is a huge tech geek.

I'm just endlessly frustrated by this and I almost wish I'd never gotten involved.

Does anyone else feel the same?

You need to learn some basic manners and gratitude....

pretty unambiguous, eh!

Edited by irishpancake

Guest geegeethatsme
Hey Mr/Ms CrystalLettuce......what an ungrateful person you are!!!!

You come on this forum, the most popular on Modaco, and bitch about how devs should have realised just how you are too dumb to have a smart phone, in advance......

and at the same time you also slander Android developers on www.boards.ie

I do not like the Android modding community

You need to learn some basic manners and gratitude....

Let me try and pour some oil on troubled waters. I understand irishpancake's annoyance. I had a little pop at crystallettuce earlier today too which was accepted with good grace. I also understand crystallettuce's frustration. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt etc., as have a good many of us as we joined the SF/Blade community and began flashing, tweaking etc. I too have had the aggravation of having to reload multiple apps and so learned from that experience and made sure I never touch anything now without a nandroid backup through ClockworkMod and a user app backup through Titanium. I also read up on adb so that I could use Terminal commands, and I consumed Forum postings to build a basic reservoir of knowledge. Yes there is duplication and ambiguity, but generally the answers are out there to be found by searching within the Forum and then within the Topics themselves. And if after all that the problem still seems impenetrable, a posting that explains the problem in some detail, confirms that searches have not provided an answer, and asks for help is generally always met with a helpful response. We're all in this together guys.

Guest TheManicGibbon
So I have to reinstall everything again since the FLB guys had pretty much no foresight? Great.

Hi, I'm one of the FLB guys, the ones with no foresight. Just to introduce myself.

If you think FLB is crap, don't use it. There are plenty of other ROMs.

"technically nothing"? I think "nothing" is the word you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you here. I understand that things aren't always simple or easy to understand. I also understand how it feels to trash your Blade and then have to get it working again. For the modders, it's part of the fun. If you don't understand something, ask for it to be explained again. No-one will mind explaining in a bit more detail or from a different point of view, but don't bitch about it because that just annoys the devs. The devs are used to helping out other devs, so I apologize for my lack of foresight here as well. People like KonstaT, LanceH, me and of course flibblesan have put effort into making things work on Gen2, so you could show a little appreciation for what you are getting, literally, for free.

When I first came here, I didn't understand anything, but I simply asked politely and it was explained. Just chill out a bit mate, you're in the biggest Blade forum online and someone will be able to help you, just don't jump straight in with your righteous indignation. No offence meant or anything, and I'm not having a go :D

Guest Len Ash

Those who created Froyo ROMs from what was, at the time, basic and fragmented information and code did so for the community as a whole.

Some of us took those well-liked and usable ROMs and updated them, refreshed them and even went out of our way to produce working Gen 2 versions of earlier Gen 1 versions to give users a choice beyond CM7 and SS5.

Now, great as the TPT tool is, it is aimed squarely at those who intend to flash CM7 or SS5, and is thus limited in cache. There are numerous ways around this, but do require some background work.

It is clearly inconvenient to have to repartition, but not difficult. But the TPT method came AFTER the Windows method and I, for one, cannot turn the clock back.

The vast majority of the devs and cookers on here offer their time and ingenuity completely free, and try and support their efforts where possible when folk get stuck or want additional features. Not always easy, time wise. I, personally, offer my gratitude to those who jump in and offer their assitance where I cannot.

Guest irishpancake
okay, sorry

Even though very much a noob myself, I am so grateful to the Community which has given so much, for so little, and also, it has been FUN for an old guy like me, to have the help of all the young guns around here.

It's been a new lease of life for a tired old Windoze hack, and great craic, as we say here in Ireland.

I am very glad you have posted the above, so I'm sorry too, for having the pop at ya.....OK :D

Guest unrandomsam

Be trivial to import the cache2tmpfs fix into flb anyway. (I admit its not all that easy to find).

Testing whether you need it is not too bad either

something around

(depending on the path you might have to prefix busybox).

df -h | awk '/\/cache/ {sub("M","",$2);printf("%d", $2)}'

Should work if you don't want ot hardcode it. (then test if its < 20)

Guest TouchyAndalou
If you think FLB is crap, don't use it. There are plenty of other ROMs.

I was being sarcastic, hence "he should ask for his money back".

I'm a newb myself and yeah, it can be frustrating when something goes wrong, but there's really no defence for a thread like this when the answers to your problem have been given multiple times in the thread from which you got your ROM from.

Edited by TouchyAndalou

Guest TheManicGibbon
I was being sarcastic, hence "he should ask for his money back".

I'm a newb myself and yeah, it can be frustrating when something goes wrong, but there's really no defence for a thread like this when the answers to your problem have been given multiple times in the thread from which you got your ROM from.

I was agreeing with you; the comment was directed at CrystalLettuce, sorry for any misunderstanding :D