SMS/MMS delivery Reports on froyo 2.2

Guest lousou76

Guest lousou76

Dear friends,

As you probably realized after buying your android phone, the internal Messaging application for SMS/MMS does not really support SMS/MMS delivery notification.

Sure you can enable it in the settings but it does not notify you when the recipient really received the sms. You have to go into the conversation and either check the icon next to the envelop or hold down on one message and choose view report to get the status "Received" or "Pending".

After my frustration I decided to download the sources of the Messaging application from Google and enhance it so it would notify. I managed to do that after a lot of hours trying and coding so I wanted to share this.

This is the original froyo Messaging application compiled from source for the generic emulator so it should work on all 2.2 ROM phones.

As far as I can see in the sources tree this is still not fixed in Gingerbread as well (2.3). I will have to download make changes and compile an update for 2.3 ROMS.

What it does:

- If delivery reports are enabled on the messaging settings it will light up the screen and notify for incoming sms or mms messages when received using sound and vibration.

- The notification sound and the vibration settings are not the ones defined for incoming sms's but those in general phone settings. That way you can adjust the sound and vibration and distinguish it from incoming messages.

- It will give a message on status bar with Incoming sender the original recipient and in the details his/her specific number: "John: The message to +3088999... has been delivered".

- If you click on the notificatyion it will take you to the specific conversation and clear the notification.

- If a second delivery report arrives from another recipient it will create a new notification not removing the first.

- If you get into the messages the delivery reports will be cleared (it means you read them).

- For MMS's it will only notify when the recipient got the message, (not when he read it. You can still view if he read it on the conversation details, I though it would be too much to check this also).

I tested this with my ZTE Blade 2.2 and it works as expected and others have tested in Samsung Galaxy, LG optimus One and reported no problem whatsoever.

To install it you have to:

- Uninstall the original. To do that you must have a rooted phone and use something like "Root Explorer", or "SuperManager" (the second one is free from the market) to delete (keep a copy just in case) /system/app/Mms.apk from your phone and reboot.

- After that you can install the one I provide below.

Mms.zip

Below there is a second version which instead of notifying with seperate status bar notifications it just shows the total number if more than one.

Mms_multiple.zip

The version below was extracted by the Sweedish Spring RLS5 froyo 2.2 rom (based on the chineese leak) and was modified by me to add my changes using decompile/recompile apktool methods.

Although I did tested it and it works as expected I did not compile this from source, so it could give errors to some.

It has better icons and colors and some extra options for adding signature etc.

Mms_swe_signed_fixed.zip

(it works as the first app in my post not the multiple one).

Please uninstall the one you are using first before trying to install. Then activate settings (enable reports).

I 've spent more that 60 euros in tests so if you could donate anything I would be very thankful.

I also find the "put a #0 on every sms" solution unacceptable since it is not supported by all providers and it comes as an extra sms that you have to delete.

DONATE

Regards,

LS

Edited by lousou76