New wifi driver

Guest wbaw

Guest wbaw

This fixes the bug where CM7 wont always re-connect to wifi properly when the wifi policy is set to turn wifi off when the screen goes off (the default setting).

It may fix other wifi bugs too & it should work on most blade froyo roms or CM7.

Just install the zip with clockwork & let us know if it fixes anything.

Taken from the China Unicom v1.1 update, here is the build info from that rom

ro.build.display.id=UNI_CN_V880 1.1

ro.build.version.incremental=20110426.142154

ro.build.version.sdk=8

ro.build.version.codename=REL

ro.build.version.release=2.2

ro.build.date=Tue Apr 26 14:34:55 CST 2011

ro.build.date.utc=1303799695

blade_wifi_update.zip

Great work again, wbaw. This update seems to work like a charm. Finally wi-fi disconnects when the screen is off and reconnects when I wake my blade, according to the settings I set up. Reconnection takes a little bit of time, 10 to 12 seconds to be precise.

Guest wbaw
Great work again, wbaw. This update seems to work like a charm. Finally wi-fi disconnects when the screen is off and reconnects when I wake my blade, according to the settings I set up. Reconnection takes a little bit of time, 10 to 12 seconds to be precise.

It'd do that anyway if you set the wifi sleep policy to 'never', probably work better, it still disconnects when the screen is off, despite what the setting says.

At least this driver makes one of the options (the default one) for wifi sleep policy work as expected.

The reconnection time is determined by the wifi scan interval in build.prop you can make it reconnect faster, at the expense of a little battery power (not much as wifi always turns off when screen goes off anyway).

I was testing it before & didn't notice much difference, then I ran into the default wifi policy bug on CM7 after a fresh install, so I tried this driver again & it fixed it.

Again, it's mostly ZTE's (and Atheros, wifi chipset maker) work, I just ripped it from another rom & packaged it for ClockworkMod. Unfortunately we don't have the source code for the wifi driver. CM7 is using one from an early leaked beta of ZTE Froyo, this is from the most recent v1.1 update of ZTE's version of Froyo (for the Chinese market). I can't take the credit (or blame) for this.

Edited by wbaw

Guest wbaw

It doesn't totally fix it, I just had a fail to reconnect. It does seem to be improved though. Try it & let us know if there's any difference for you.

Anyway, setting wifi sleep policy to never will make it reliably reconnect ... and the wifi still goes off when the screen goes off due to another bug.

Guest burstlam
It doesn't totally fix it, I just had a fail to reconnect. It does seem to be improved though. Try it & let us know if there's any difference for you.

Anyway, setting wifi sleep policy to never will make it reliably reconnect ... and the wifi still goes off when the screen goes off due to another bug.

I use to setup the never sleep policy and advanced wifi lock free version to deal with this issue. drain battery at a min. level.

I agree with u that there is something else overrode the policy.

The Chinese Blade User forum claimed that there will be another update coming with the official sale of U880

( change to Marvell PXA920 CPU and a 5MP camera... also analog TV function... :D )

Guest hedgepigdaniel
I use to setup the never sleep policy and advanced wifi lock free version to deal with this issue. drain battery at a min. level.

I agree with u that there is something else overrode the policy.

The Chinese Blade User forum claimed that there will be another update coming with the official sale of U880

( change to Marvell PXA920 CPU and a 5MP camera... also analog TV function... :D )

That's what's really lacking in the blade. Analog television!

Guest KACE_231

well I never had the reconnect issue, but does the update prevent the WiFi disconnecting when the phone sleeps without the use of a 3rd party app?

Guest Grain
Good idea to get it into CM7 if its better, but commits to CM are made through gerrit, not pull requests in github.

proprietary_vendor_zte is maintained outside the Cyanogen project. So that is the single exception to the "commits go through gerrit" rule (AFAIK).

Guest hedgepigdaniel
proprietary_vendor_zte is maintained outside the Cyanogen project. So that is the single exception to the "commits go through gerrit" rule (AFAIK).

You might be right

I wonder why that would be?

Guest fonix232
You might be right

I wonder why that would be?

Because then Jacob and Tom can simply update proprietary files, without asking permissions etc.

Guest shadowninty

Thanks for this wbaw, added it to my GApps.zip, will flash back later and report back if I have issues with it on CM7

Guest shadowninty

The ar6000.ko is ¹/10th the size of the CM one :D

2.96MB to 290KB...

@Vare, I posted over wifi with the new drivers on CM7

Edited by shadowninty

Guest sharix

It doesn't work for me, after the update I can't enable wifi anymore so it's useless to me - it says "Error" every time I try to enable it. Woh can I revert to the previous settings?

Edited by sharix

Guest targetbsp
Does this work on you guyz?

I put it on for no good reason as I use Tasker to handle my wifi reconnecting so I can't tell if it's fixed anything. But it hasn't broke anything. :D

Guest shadowninty
It doesn't work for me, after the update I can't enable wifi anymore so it's useless to me - it says "Error" every time I try to enable it. Woh can I revert to the previous settings?

Reflash your ROM

Guest vareBlade

next time dont try stuff without taking a full backup but ya as shadowninty said just reflash your Rom

Edited by vareBlade

Guest shadowninty
next time dont try stuff without taking a full backup but ya as shadowninty said just reflash your Rom
I really wouldn't be arsed taking a backup for this as worst case scenario you can still boot up and edit the .zip before reflashing