Upgrading to rooted WW 8.4.4.5 (Android 3.1) from any version

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

Here's a quick guide on how to upgrade your Transformer (any build) to a ROOTED WW 8.4.4.5 release (Android 3.1). This is completely stock Android 3.1 but with root / Superuser and busybox added.

Please note that you follow this guide at your own risk! Although the process should not wipe your device, I advise backing up your data first.

PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS THROUGH BEFORE YOU START!

• Download the 8.2.3.9 update zip - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: d8e37ec527dd8d701633cd337f767b5c
  • Extract the contents of the above zip (maintaining the directory structure) to a microSD card and insert in your Transformer. An update notification will appear in your system tray - click the notification and your device will reboot and rollback to 8.2.3.9.
  • Download the rooted 8.4.4.5 rooted update zip - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 4375ddec4d3470037d58cd2434cd8bf5
  • Copy the zip file to your microSD card. Do NOT extract it, just copy it as-is.
  • Download the 8.4.4.5 root utlity zip - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: ca37aa989698d17e690d1a89ac025487
  • Extract the utility zip on your PC, and from a command prompt / terminal window at the location you extracted the files, enter the following commands (note that the Gingerbreak command may take a while), replacing adb with ./adb-mac or ./adb-linux as required:

adb push blob /data/local/
    adb push gingerbreakBB /data/local/
    adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/gingerbreakBB
    adb shell
    /data/local/gingerbreakBB
    dd if=/data/local/blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4
    reboot[/code]

• Your device will now reboot and show a blue progress bar. When this finishes and the screen goes black, hold down the 'volume down' butotn. When prompted, press 'volume up' to enter ClockworkMod recovery.
  • Select 'install zip from sdcard' -> 'choose zip from sdcard' -> '8.4.4.5-rooted.zip' -> 'yes'.
  • Reboot your device from the menus and that's it, job done!
  • :D

P

Thanks to @bumbledroid for the gingerbreakBB binary!

Guest stuntdouble

Is this code from a US build, or have you managed to get a WW stock version of 8.4.4.5 to use please? I'd love a link to the latter if available. I see it says WW, so have you just merged the files from a FOTA release?

Edited by stuntdouble

Guest combat goofwing

Love the guide reading it.seems to be the easiest to follow to get me.from stock unrooted 3.1, to down grade then root and upgrade to.rooted3.1,one part I'm not sure on is the unzip the utility.where do I put these files for use in the Cmd prompt,also I'm running build 427 I think does that make any difference

Thanks for any help

Guest skipDroid

Hello,

Many thanks for this mini guide. Root without any problem . None of my data was lost during the two flashes.

Best regard

Guest king_of_tuxland

Hi there,

there is just a little problem with the "German Transformers". It isn't possible to downgrade, because the firmware on the german devices is a DE build and not a WW or US build. The update notification wouldn't pop up, and there is no way to downgrade. I also tried to rename your firmware from WW to DE and then the notification is shown. But there is just a reboot, the Android with the exclamation mark is there and just another reboot. But no change in firmware.

Is there just a way for rooting and install CWM Recovery on german devices?

I am a liitle bit dissapointed, that ASUS just creates a different firmware for our devices. I didn't understand why.

By the way, today i got the update for 3.1, just another DE build.

Thanks for your help

Steffen

Guest RichKS

Awesome guide! I got a whole bunch of Force Close errors after the first flash, but they all disappeared after going back to 3.1 with the rooted version. Luverly!

Guest skipDroid

Hello ,

I have juste one question about this kernel : MoDaCo Custom Kernel r1 it's use on Hr7

It is possible to use with this stock rom ?

If yes where can i download just this kernel .

@king_of_tuxland : Normaly WW rom inclued germain language, if I am correct .

Thank for answer

Best regard .

stephane.

Edited by skipDroid

Guest SchuchWun

OK, I am semi-n00b so I have just a few questions about this, first what does WW mean? and what benefits does this ROM give me over my stock 3.1 build.

TIA

-Drew

Guest Tiketti

Works beautifully. Thanks once again, Paul!

OK, I am semi-n00b so I have just a few questions about this, first what does WW mean? and what benefits does this ROM give me over my stock 3.1 build

WW means worldwide, setting it apart from the American and German releases. I believe this ROM is the same as stock, only with root access.

Guest king_of_tuxland

@skipDroid, yes German language is included, but the rom is different in some points from the WW or US rom. So this is because of the law or so.

Guest king_of_tuxland

Ok, i did it. I had to rename the inner file of the package to EP101_SDUPDATE.zip. I downgrade my TF101 to 8.2.3.9 and started to root it.

I can transfer all the data which is need to my device and execute all commands included the dd command. All work fine and without any error message.

But at the reboot, i get stuck on the Eee Pad screen and there is no blue progress bar. And if I press Vol. Down and Power, I get no option for entering RCK recovery mode, I get directly into the wipe mode.

Can anybody help me please, because i can also not boot up normally my device, i have to go through the wipe and then cold booting linux. But i didn't want to this everytime i start my TF.

Edit: If i press the Vol.Down button shortly when it is stucked at the eee pad splash screen, the device boots up normally. Is it possible to look at this momnet what the problem is?

Thanks

Edited by king_of_tuxland

Guest rtimms
Ok, i did it. I had to rename the inner file of the package to EP101_SDUPDATE.zip. I downgrade my TF101 to 8.2.3.9 and started to root it.

I can transfer all the data which is need to my device and execute all commands included the dd command. All work fine and without any error message.

But at the reboot, i get stuck on the Eee Pad screen and there is no blue progress bar. And if I press Vol. Down and Power, I get no option for entering RCK recovery mode, I get directly into the wipe mode.

Can anybody help me please, because i can also not boot up normally my device, i have to go through the wipe and then cold booting linux. But i didn't want to this everytime i start my TF.

Edit: If i press the Vol.Down button shortly when it is stucked at the eee pad splash screen, the device boots up normally. Is it possible to look at this momnet what the problem is?

Thanks

When you hold the button down, just before the wipe there is another screen in between you need to be quick. Try again and look on the screen at the top in small letters before the wipe page and you will see what i mean.

Hope this helps

Guest king_of_tuxland
When you hold the button down, just before the wipe there is another screen in between you need to be quick. Try again and look on the screen at the top in small letters before the wipe page and you will see what i mean.

Hope this helps

Yes I know that there have to be a screen where i have 5 seconds to decide what i want to do. But the problem is that it is oing directly to the wipe screen.

I've solved the problem by flashing a new rom via NVflash. This works for me and CWM is also installed now.

Thanks

Guest alhristova

I have questions about he last bullet of the instruction, that says: "replacing adb with ./adb-mac or ./adb-linux as required"

1) Why is this needed?

2) If needed: is the Asus Eee Pad Transformer linux?

Thxz :)

Guest alhristova

Apparently, before starting this procedure, one has to have CWM & Gingerbread installed, see the threads below:

http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/05/21/roo...d-cwm-recovery/

http://androidroot.mobi/asus-eee-pad-trans...t-cwm-recovery/

Can you please complete the procedure with these steps in order to help us to avoid mistakes & ruin the tablet?

Thxz beforehand :) B)