Researched the high battery usage of cell standby

Guest Peterfdevries

Guest Peterfdevries

Hi folks!

I did some research in the past few days to find out why the CELL STANDBY is so incredible high.

At first I installed a network monitor on my phone (Traffic monitor, you can find it in the market). This program splits all your data traffic in the programs that are using data and tells you how much it uses for each program. I found out that my data traffic over the complete day isn't that much as I expected (about only 5 mB per day). With this I found out that the cell standby isn't to blame due to much traffic.

After that I put the phone in flight modus. That gave me no usage at the cell standby at all. So that makes that the problem is in the radio chip.

After that I used the phone in 2G modus. Suddenly the phone hasn't that much usage at the cell standby.

The last thing I tried is using the phone back on the 3g/hspda modus. After that the cell standby took an enormous portion of the overall battery usage.

I conclude for my phone that the chip is the problem of the high consumption. At least when it is using 3g/hspda.

I hope the chip itself isn't that big of a consumer and I hope that LG can solve this with software update in the future! Maybe Paul can even fix this somehow in his next ROMs?

I curious what you think of my research and the cause of the high cell standby.

greetings Peter

Guest PhilNelwyn
After that I used the phone in 2G modus. Suddenly the phone hasn't that much usage at the cell standby.

The last thing I tried is using the phone back on the 3g/hspda modus. After that the cell standby took an enormous portion of the overall battery usage.

3G drains battery, it isn't new. This is why you read "saves battery" under the "use only 2G networks" option, in mobile network settings.

And the worst the 3G coverage is, the worst the battery drain will be, cause it will need more power for 3G, and will more often switch from one network to another.

Guest Peterfdevries
3G drains battery, it isn't new. This is why you read "saves battery" under the "use only 2G networks" option, in mobile network settings.

And the worst the 3G coverage is, the worst the battery drain will be, cause it will need more power for 3G, and will more often switch from one network to another.

I knew that 3g is a battery eater, but I didn't expect it to need this much of the battery? There must be something wich can help it use less don't you think? That is why I updated the baseband just a few minutes ago and I hope that Paul or LG can fix it in the next update. I hear a lot of complaints about it.

Guest PhilNelwyn
I knew that 3g is a battery eater, but I didn't expect it to need this much of the battery? There must be something wich can help it use less don't you think? That is why I updated the baseband just a few minutes ago and I hope that Paul or LG can fix it in the next update. I hear a lot of complaints about it.

Well, we're not all equal in terms of mobile networks coverage... everybody doesn't charge a phone the same way... and battery usage statistics have to be smartly read, for example if you leave your phone alone until the battery is empty, "Cell standby" surely won't be far from 100%.

So there are many factors to consider (including the LG's faulty software, of course ;) ).

Guest hellokittyr

i believe the standby consumption is higher than usual, compare with other phones.

but i have no idea what's the cause.

Guest jambezuk

You're right, I've been using the CM nightlies for about a week now and with 3G turned on (in an area without 3G reception and poor 2G reception -so a batteries best friend) I have similar if not better battery performance than Fr18b2 in a perfect reception area on 2G only.

That said, CM is not fully stable yet so not recommended if you use your phone for important things like ringing people. On any of the Fr's (used 15-18b2) the phone maybe rebooted twice... on cm it's once every few days with more regular temporary lock-ups (for about 15-20 seconds or so) and twice this week it's been black screen requiring battery pull.

So if you want a reliable working phone suck it up for now, if you crave battery and don't mind your phone maybe dying in your pocket without you realising - choose CM7 for now.

Guest PhilNelwyn
You're right, I've been using the CM nightlies for about a week now and with 3G turned on (in an area without 3G reception and poor 2G reception -so a batteries best friend) I have similar if not better battery performance than Fr18b2 in a perfect reception area on 2G only.

Again, compare smartly : Gingerbread is known to be better than Froyo at managing battery.

Guest jambezuk

I hope the chip itself isn't that big of a consumer and I hope that LG can solve this with software update in the future!

Again, compare smartly : Gingerbread is known to be better than Froyo at managing battery.

Although not explicitly typed, the point I was getting at is that it wasn't the chip and it was the software.

On the side:

Gingerbread may be technically superior for battery life but my crappy HTC magic running a well optimised version of froyo "lastest for ages"...

Before you state the obvious with processor speed and screen size (which are valid points) the magic would last me almost a week on 2G only mode when 'not in use' (don't ask), From the stats we're getting from some, the O2X won't last two days under the same conditions. Sure, two cores versus one but also the capacity of the O2X battery is significantly greater. Worst case scenario is two cores takes double the power? Then it should still last three days not two.

^^ the point of my rambling is that although froyo isn't perfect it's much better than we're lead to believe looking at the O2X's version.

Guest PhilNelwyn
Although not explicitly typed, the point I was getting at is that it wasn't the chip and it was the software.

On the side:

Gingerbread may be technically superior for battery life but my crappy HTC magic running a well optimised version of froyo "lastest for ages"...

Before you state the obvious with processor speed and screen size (which are valid points) the magic would last me almost a week on 2G only mode when 'not in use' (don't ask), From the stats we're getting from some, the O2X won't last two days under the same conditions. Sure, two cores versus one but also the capacity of the O2X battery is significantly greater. Worst case scenario is two cores takes double the power? Then it should still last three days not two.

^^ the point of my rambling is that although froyo isn't perfect it's much better than we're lead to believe looking at the O2X's version.

Ok, I see what you mean.

I had two other Android phones and their battery cycle was quite the same as my P990's, around 3 days, I didn't know it could last one week! I wish Paul could achieve that. ;)

Guest jambezuk

I was in Canada for several months with a UK sim... phone was turned on but I only touched once or twice a day to check time. So it's like 'overnight' consumption. Under normal use I'd put it on charge at about 5-10pm on the second day, not sure my CM7 O2X is quite there yet.

Guest Stevvie

I'm convinced it's all these battery monitors people seem to obsessed with and the STUPID STUPID batterystats.bin, that I have had to reset/delete on ALL my android devices for them to see the battery correctly. I don't have ANY battery monitors or savers. I have the fear edition 10 ROM running the Mondego r1.6.9 KERNEL I get 50ish hours under normal use and thats with the F1 app open for the qualifying and the race. I turn off 3g/GPS/Bluetooth when I don't need it and WiFi is ALWAYS on. I have however edited that STUPID batterystats.bin file and filled it with 20 X's and made it read only and pushed it back to /data/system/. Some say that it becomes writable again after a reboot but I'm lucky and mine doesn't. The downside of that is that the about battery in system doesn't show the real use of the phone., for instance my pic shows 3% for display and I played pottery for 3+4 hours, 1Hour of F1APP on day 2 and 2.5hours on day 3. And a few hours of surfing/wikipedia, that makes it more than the 3% that it thinks it was.

2011_06_12_16_56_45.jpg

Edited by Stevvie

i'm looking for the kernel of Mondego r1.6.9 ( just tested the rom itself but no boot... ) so if you have a link for the kernel only, it will be much appreciate ! ;)

Guest Stevvie
i'm looking for the kernel of Mondego r1.6.9 ( just tested the rom itself but no boot... ) so if you have a link for the kernel only, it will be much appreciate ! ;)

it's not released on it's own, you'll have to extract it from the ful rom download.

Guest Stevvie
you have extracted modules too ? or only boot.img ?

Modules and boot.img. The wireless module in Mondego is massive compared to the others, but maybe that's where the battery life is coming from ?