For the devs: Huawei C8800 (Gingerbread) firmware

Guest McSpoon

Guest McSpoon

This may be of interest to the U8800 devs. Huawei have a Gingerbread device called the C8800. It has a 480x800 screen resolution so it *might* be similar to the U8800 ?? (although they could be completely incompatible with just a similar name and screen res).

The firmware is available on their website.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/cn/downloadCen...C92B821SP03.zip

Please do not flash that update.app file to your U8800 as it will probably brick your phone. The only reason I am posting this link is so the devs can extract the system.img to see if they can adapt it to work on the U8800.

The attached Perl script will unpack the update.app file and extract the system.img and boot.img to a subfolder called 'output'.

Usage: perl split_updata.pl UPDATE.APP

I don't have a U8800 so I can't try it. My biggest concern is the C8800 is based on msm7627 and I believe the U8800 uses the msm7630 chipset so I'm not sure if they'll be compatible. And it looks like this firmware is in Simplified Chinese only. But maybe it will be of some use??

Here is a snippet of the build.prop:

ro.build.date=Sat May 21 05:45:54 CST 2011

ro.build.date.utc=1305927954

ro.build.id=HuaweiC8800

#ro.build.display.id=msm7627_surf-eng 2.3.1 GRH78 eng.wangyali.20110110.112612 test-keys

ro.build.version.sdk=10

ro.build.version.codename=REL

ro.build.version.release=2.3.3

# ro.build.date=2011-01-10 Mon. 11:34:17 CST

# ro.build.date.utc=1294630457

ro.build.type=user

ro.build.user=wangyali

ro.build.host=huaweisrv07-desktop

# ro.build.tags=test-keys

ro.product.model=C8800

ro.product.brand=Huawei

ro.config.hw_contact_customer=C92

ro.config.hw_browser_ua3g=http://wap1.huawei.com/uaprof/HW_HUAWEI_C8800_1_20110222.xml

ro.config.hw_browser_ua2g=http://wap1.huawei.com/uaprof/HW_HUAWEI_C8800_1_20110222.xml

ro.config.hw_use_browser_ua=true

ro.product.name=C8800

ro.product.device=hwc8800

ro.product.board=C8800

ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi

ro.product.manufacturer=HUAWEI

ro.product.locale.language=zh

ro.product.locale.region=CN

ro.wifi.channels=

ro.board.platform=msm7k

# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device

ro.build.product=msm7627_surf

split_updata.pl.zip

Guest The Soup Thief

There's some discussion of this at xda developers

Looky here too

It suggests the C8800 supports CDMA while the U8800 supports WCDMA

It also mentions that the phone has a 500 mega-pixel camera, so maybe it's not 100% reliable...

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest McSpoon

Cool. I usually ignore the XDA forums but it's good to see they're aware of the C8800.

I really hope the U8800 and C8800 have similar hardware but it begs the question why haven't Huawei released a Gingerbread update for the U8800 if they've done it for the C8800? I'm starting to think the answer might be because the hardware is vastly different.

Guest papatsonis
here it states has same hardware, but if you enlarge the picture enough, you can see that C8800 version comes with 256ram, and God knows what other differences.. Edited by papatsonis

Guest That-Guy

Looking at it I think we would have more luck getting a working version of CM7 :P

Still worth keeping an eye on ;)

Maybe if we all donate money to a dev they would consider buying the phone to work on it lol

Guest The Soup Thief
Looking at it I think we would have more luck getting a working version of CM7 :P

Still worth keeping an eye on ;)

Maybe if we all donate money to a dev they would consider buying the phone to work on it lol

I thought flibblesan had one - could be wrong

He'd be yer go to guy

Guest That-Guy
I thought flibblesan had one - could be wrong

He'd be yer go to guy

No he currently has a Desire after selling his Blade I believe.

Guest Poulsen8r

I doubt this is going to make it any easier to get a Gingerbread ROM fully functional for our phones, since it is running on the 7227 (Last Gen) processor with 256mb ram, no EMMC, the list goes on. Screenshots for the lolz:

home-1.pngrotate.pngmessage.png

app1.pngapp2.pngapp3.png

If anyone wants the launcher or other apps just reply and I'll see what can be done.

Guest Ahmad Zuman
I doubt this is going to make it any easier to get a Gingerbread ROM fully functional for our phones, since it is running on the 7227 (Last Gen) processor with 256mb ram, no EMMC, the list goes on. Screenshots for the lolz:

home-1.pngrotate.pngmessage.png

app1.pngapp2.pngapp3.png

If anyone wants the launcher or other apps just reply and I'll see what can be done.

the launcher seems really good , i would like to give it a try if it was available

• 3 weeks later...