Features still missing in CM7

Guest popoyaya

Guest popoyaya

Here are a few features I'd find very useful in CM7:

- reverse USB tethering

- ability to connect to wireless adhoc networks

(both of these make it possible to use your laptop's internet connection on your phone, e.g. when you're using a dongle on the laptop to connect to the internet)

- USB host mode

(allows you to connect USB devices to your phone, i.e. cameras, keyboards, etc.)

Any info on these or other suggestion?

Edited by popoyaya

Guest ObamaGoesPostal

WMA-support, and more ways to edit your lockscreen eg. put out widgets on it etc

Edited by ObamaGoesPostal

encrypted file systems (for /data /cache, /sd-ext & /sdcard). fuse support with sshfs or some other way to mount directories from remote sftp servers. better vpn & proxy support. more bluetooth stuff. a gui for the dropbear ssh server settings, on/off, etc. dlna support (client & server). printing. fax (including fax over sip). voicemail server. ability to use phone as a usb or wireless webcam. ability to use phone as wireless or usb gps device.

Edited by wbaw

Guest ThrashMan
encrypted file systems (for /data /cache, /sd-ext & /sdcard). fuse support with sshfs or some other way to mount directories from remote sftp servers. better vpn & proxy support. more bluetooth stuff. a gui for the dropbear ssh server settings, on/off, etc. dlna support (client & server). printing. fax (including fax over sip). voicemail server. ability to use phone as a usb or wireless webcam. ability to use phone as wireless or usb gps device.

TransProxy works well, but "proper" proxy support from CM would be great!

IP WebCam works really well

Edited by ThrashMan

Guest hedgepigdaniel

• built in bandwidth monitoring (for users to avoid going over their cap and being billed into oblivion)
  • ability to see more detailed mobile network status (as in frequency band, link speed, as well as just signal strength)
  • serving SD card as a network share (easily copy files to/from phone over wifi)
  • browser bookmark syncing with chrome
  • better proxy support +1
  • dlna +1
  • printing +1
  • voicemail server +1, only because my better judgement tells me that I won't get a proper solution like google voice anytime soon in Australia.

On a more sinister note, if someone would port aircrack-ng to android, set up a GUI for it, and get some injection drivers working, that would really make my day (and make wifi as useful as possible...).

Guest JayGB1982

Is it possible to enable WiFi Direct on the blade?

Either by an app or settings somewhere?

This would have been usefull yesterday when I was transferring a large file via bluetooth.

Does the blade support ad-hock connections?

Guest hudasp

Nothing. No more other functions until CM7 isn´t fully stable and all issues will be solve.

Edited by hudasp

Guest The Soup Thief
Is it possible to enable WiFi Direct on the blade?

Certainly is, my good man (if i've understood you right)

Can use swiFTP to majick files over wifi twixt phone and PC

Or EStrongs

Or even Astro

V easy, v handy, v cool

Guest ThrashMan
Certainly is, my good man (if i've understood you right)

Can use swiFTP to majick files over wifi twixt phone and PC

Or EStrongs

Or even Astro

V easy, v handy, v cool

Me thinks your soup may have passed its shelf life and fermented!

Nothing. No more other functions until CM7 isn´t fully stable and all issues will be solve.

That will never happen. It doesn't happen for any type of complex software, stick to running "Hello World!".

Guest KoZzzik

One of the main problems is the sound. it's necessary to fix sound! Volume up, not by Apps. After installing the dynamics of nokia 5800, ringtone still wheezing hiss. Lousy sound!

Guest unrandomsam

reliable bluetooth hid

anything to make the headphone output sound better (Probably always going to sound crap but it could be better).

Better ipv6 support (mip6d / racoon2 included) easily configured so that packets aren't lost going wifi / 3g and back again.

The rest of the bluetooth profiles

working wifi->advanced never sleep (even if the device must be awake at the same time better than current setup for me).

gingerbread adreno200 drivers from somewhere.

(Alot) Less bloat (/system 128MB should be a start)

odex'ed release rom's (saves space overall) and has the advantage of the person doing it having to properly test the release before its pushed. (First boot should be signficantly faster as well).

Remove ADW Launcher (Don't care what its replaced by as long as it performs to a usable level).

New BFS in the kernel and framework mod's to use its scheduling features instead of cgroups.

Guest unrandomsam
That will never happen. It doesn't happen for any type of complex software, stick to running "Hello World!".

I am certain you are wrong.

There are a few formally verified microkernels. (Cannot add features without doing the verification again)

TeX/Metafont are other good examples of not adding tons of useless features. And likely bug free (Find one and you get $330 or so and one has not been found for a long time).

There is alot of embedded software that absolutely doesn't suffer from feature bloat or being buggy. (People die if it screws up or it kills people).

Guest unrandomsam

reliable bluetooth hid

anything to make the headphone output sound better (Probably always going to sound crap but it could be better).

Better ipv6 support (mip6d / racoon2 included) easily configured so that packets aren't lost going wifi / 3g and back again.

The rest of the bluetooth profiles

working wifi->advanced never sleep (even if the device must be awake at the same time better than current setup for me).

gingerbread adreno200 drivers from somewhere.

(Alot) Less bloat (/system 128MB should be a start)

odex'ed release rom's (saves space overall) and has the advantage of the person doing it having to properly test the release before its pushed. (First boot should be signficantly faster as well).

Remove ADW Launcher (Don't care what its replaced by as long as it performs to a usable level).

New BFS in the kernel and framework mod's to use its scheduling features instead of cgroups.

Guest targetbsp

There are a few formally verified microkernels. (Cannot add features without doing the verification again)

Who is to say that their specification is perfect? And is their compiler equally formally verified? Can they guarantee it will only be used as intended on hardware it's intended for? It's technically possible to create a perfect program but unless you can control the environment it's used in (and safety critical systems attempt to do just that, with specific hardware and highly trained users) then you can't feasibly prove perfection.

Not just software, everything in this world is developed to be only good enough. Perfection is not worth the cost. Fault tolerance in the system and low cost is deemed more acceptable. Whether it be redundant hardware, warranties on consumer products, error checking on data.

TeX/Metafont are other good examples of not adding tons of useless features. And likely bug free (Find one and you get $330 or so and one has not been found for a long time).

There is alot of embedded software that absolutely doesn't suffer from feature bloat or being buggy. (People die if it screws up or it kills people).

A microkernel is not a complex operating system, the clue is in the name. On our phones, that part is just the loader. Something under 64k, unless it's something extremely spectacular doesn't count as complex software, it's more of the 'hello world' category.

Why not try killing amss.mbn & formatting all the android partitions? That'd get rid of a lot of bugs & then you can just run your perfect microkernel.

The rest of us would rather have useful features.

Edited by wbaw