Kernels: what kernel is in the official UK 2011 rom?

Guest twrock

Guest twrock

So, what kernel is in the UK 2011 rom? I'm asking about the actual kernel, and not the boot.img.

I'm trying to figure out if the kernel in the old UK 2010 rom is the new 2011 rom, exactly the same. I'd like to work on something, and I either need to learn how to add swap to the UK2011 kernel (and that would be serious work), or determine that the old kernel is the same, in which case I'll just use the kernel Flibblesan made for FLB1.7.

Anyone?

Guest lazarus.demien
So, what kernel is in the UK 2011 rom? I'm asking about the actual kernel, and not the boot.img.

I'm trying to figure out if the kernel in the old UK 2010 rom is the new 2011 rom, exactly the same. I'd like to work on something, and I either need to learn how to add swap to the UK2011 kernel (and that would be serious work), or determine that the old kernel is the same, in which case I'll just use the kernel Flibblesan made for FLB1.7.

Anyone?

mine 2011 rom says kernel version: 2.6.29-perf android@localhost#1

hope that helps

vlad.

Edited by lazarus.demien

Guest AntonioPT

Anyone?

Well, to figure out if it's exactly the same you could extract the kernels from the respecting boot.img and then do a md5 hash on each one of them, and compare it to see if they're the same.

Even if it's not, it's probably just a tiny .config change, or something like that. You should be fine using the kernel Fibblesan made for FLB1.7.

Offtopic:

I'm sorry for not being around, but I no longer have the time, the pacience or motivation to keep tinkering with my phone. It's now on a 2.1 rooted stock. I can't even install CM6 or FLB 1.7 (I have no idea why, tried everything), so I can't even test anything. I'm really sorry but I just want my phone to work, make calls, send sms and use a few apps, just that. Sorry. ;)

Guest twrock
Well, to figure out if it's exactly the same you could extract the kernels from the respecting boot.img and then do a md5 hash on each one of them, and compare it to see if they're the same.

Even if it's not, it's probably just a tiny .config change, or something like that. You should be fine using the kernel Fibblesan made for FLB1.7.

Offtopic:

I'm sorry for not being around, but I no longer have the time, the pacience or motivation to keep tinkering with my phone. It's now on a 2.1 rooted stock. I can't even install CM6 or FLB 1.7 (I have no idea why, tried everything), so I can't even test anything. I'm really sorry but I just want my phone to work, make calls, send sms and use a few apps, just that. Sorry. ;)

(Dang, I wrote up a long reply, and the site died! I hate that.)

Sorry to hear of you troubles. If you can't figure it out, I'm sure I don't have any further suggestions.

I was hoping to build a mod of the UK 2011 rom, assuming it would be the "best" 2.1 rom and provide the best battery life. But I wanted to shoehorn in a swap kernel without losing anything else they might have done to improve it. I've done it before with success, but I can't get it to work now. I'm trying to achieve that elusive battery life that I've seemed to have lost, but maybe I'm just chasing a unicorn, and the problem is my phone.

I don't seem to get any better battery life on FLB or other 2.1 mods, so I was hoping this latest rom was the answer. Toto's rom has some other problems still, and there is no way I can fix someone else's modified rom without really knowing what all they did to it.

I think I'll give up on swap for now and just see if what I can do gets me what I want.

Thanks for you help. Good luck.

Guest peelie

hi

not really answering your thread but relatedly i believe it has been mention here that the apps you install have a significant effect on battery life; i certainly found this when i reflashed evrything a while back but did not reinstall all my apps.

so keep apps you most definitely need and dump the rest ;)

Edited by peelie

Guest twrock
hi

not really answering your thread but relatedly i believe it has been mention here that the apps you install have a significant effect on battery life; i certainly found this when i reflashed evrything a while back but did not reinstall all my apps.

so keep apps you most definitely need and dump the rest ;)

Always good advice. :P