The best way to preserve apps and setting?

Guest fifi139

Guest fifi139

I've read a lot from this forum and i learnt a great deal and yet jumping to custom ROM although very enticing, i'm still not sure want to do that. The reason is simply because of my apps and settings that i've installed and done in the last few weeks.

So, my correct me if I'm wrong, I'm thinking about to restore the whole apps and settings after i flash custom ROM. This is my understanding:

1. make nandroid backup (CWM 4.0.0.2) to ext SD.

2. make titanium backup again to ext SD (all apps and settings and data)

3. wipe data/factory reset

4. wipe cache partition

5. flash the ROM using CWM

6. restore titanium backup but only user apps and data.

So, nandroid backup and titanium backup with system apps is only for restoring to previous ROM.

Is that correct? Will i get back all the apps, data, and settings?

thanks

Guest davey4444

That looks about right to me. My titanium backup stores everything on the internal SD just fine BTW. If you go ad-free then you can use the kitchen and select to install Titanium with the ROM otherwise you'll have to go into the market to get it once you've started up.

This all works fine for me - the one thing which you will lose is the widget settings on your home screens.

Guest fifi139
That looks about right to me. My titanium backup stores everything on the internal SD just fine BTW. If you go ad-free then you can use the kitchen and select to install Titanium with the ROM otherwise you'll have to go into the market to get it once you've started up.

This all works fine for me - the one thing which you will lose is the widget settings on your home screens.

So what about my saved games? Will they be there? And flashing ROM doesn't change the baseband, right?

Guest jambezuk
So what about my saved games? Will they be there? And flashing ROM doesn't change the baseband, right?

Titanium backup will have your saved games covered and you are correct, a rom flash WILL NOT alter your baseband.

Sometimes after restoring saved games/old sms I need to restart in order to see the change.

Guest moler

Hi i have made backup with titanium backup , and after restored my phone with nvflash i ran backup batch user aps and data only , and it restored 134 items , but none of my contacts or other downloaded stuff are present . What can have gone wrong?

Guest mboto
Hi i have made backup with titanium backup , and after restored my phone with nvflash i ran backup batch user aps and data only , and it restored 134 items , but none of my contacts or other downloaded stuff are present . What can have gone wrong?

From what rom is the backup? Was it a ext4-rom? That might be a problem. Tried rebooting ?

Guest Trym Hansen

Most likely you'll need to reboot before contacts/messages will show up. As for the market you need to install/uninstall something, and the rest should show up.

EDIT: I See now you only restored user apps and data. That won't restore your contacts as that's data for a system app.

::Trym

Edited by Trym Hansen

Guest fifi139
Most likely you'll need to reboot before contacts/messages will show up. As for the market you need to install/uninstall something, and the rest should show up.

EDIT: I See now you only restored user apps and data. That won't restore your contacts as that's data for a system app.

but when u're flashing different rom, is it safe to restore system apps also? I read somewhere that restoring system apps to different rom would create problem?

Guest 75markus
but when u're flashing different rom, is it safe to restore system apps also? I read somewhere that restoring system apps to different rom would create problem?

i would only restore data/app & settings ...

system/app settings can be different on different ROM´s, so don´t include them...

Guest Trym Hansen

It's usually safe. Titanium backup is pretty clever, and makes most of the adjustments for you. Note that TB doesn't actually restore the system apps, only the data for them. I've backed up and restored user/system apps and data from CM<->Stock, Stock<->MCR and MCR<->CM7 without any problems. The only problems I've had was when using a buggy version of TB.

There's no harm in trying it out, you can not do any permanent damage to your phone this way. If it doesn't work, just reset the phone, and restore again exluding the apps which failed.