My Optus MyTab experiences, help for some?. Expert feedback welcome.

Guest Decado

Guest Decado

Greetings

Before anything else, just all the praise I can heap goes to KK and Sebastian and all the crew here.

This is my first post here, sorry but it's going to be a beauty lol, but it may be helpful to some so here goes.

I bought 4 of the Optus MyTabs which I believe are a re branded ZTE v9. Well, actually I bought 1 for myself figuring "I know squat about android, but at $99 this is a good cheap learning experience. I'm old and retired but I like to keep my hand in. THEN everyone else at home saw it had to have one too. You know the story.

All four were identical, although bought from all over the place (do you realise how hard these things are to FIND??) 3 were still sealed in the box. One had been opened and network unlocked by the retailer but otherwise seemed untouched and unused. I network unlocked the other three using the free online generator as I had a non Optus sim laying around.

I flashed all 4 to Froyo 2.2 with the Genuine Optus prepaid upgrade tool without any issues what so ever. Great, however there were still a few minor problems with lack of memory and all the Optus bloatware so I thought after reading all 69 pages of the thread on these things on Whirlpool that I'd head on over here and have a go at flashing CM7 2.3.4.

So this I did using the method shown here at whirlpool.

Basically as follows

Install and run "z4root_blade_perm_root_v2" and select "Perm Root" and let it restart

Install OneClickRecoveryv9_20110531.apk (which is I believe v3.2.0.0) and run it

Then use CWR to install "update-cm-7.1.0-RC0-V9-KANG-signed-20110606", then "cm7_zte_v9_ahb_overclocked_kernel", then "gapps_gb_20110520-signed" in that order

Wipe the dalvik cache and user data as instructed, perform a "fix permissions" select reboot and they started up in CM7 like a champ

Well, at least it did for 3 of them. Here's where it gets interesting.

The 4th one (the one purchased pre unlocked as it turns out) would accept a z4root permanent root but would not under any circumstances accept OneClickRecoveryv9_20110531.apk. It would just always return "Application failed to install" or similar. So like the true technician and professional I am (was?) I continued pi$$ing with it trying every possible version of OneClickRecovery until at last I tried a version suggested in a link somewhere by KK to someone else having CWR problems and promptly bricked it. Ooooops 0.o

OK, After reading every page here it was KK to the rescue and I used the hacked ZTE programming tool and unlocked Optus rom linked by KK at this place

I powered on the unit holding both + and - volume, there was a brief flash of the power light with the screen remaining black, I plugged the v9 into the PC and fired up the flash tool, selected COM 5 which the device was showing as in device mangler when I looked earlier. Even though the tool did NOT change from indicated "OPEN' to "READY" state I still simply navigated to where the files provided by KK where. I ticked the "SuperUser" box and clicked "start". In about 1 minute and 10 I had the hacked version of Optus 2.2 installed. After this I pulled the battery and then restarted holding ONLY the + volume key in so as to not enter the ZTE screen. After a few seconds the android vanishes and the machine would start.

From there I was able to RE flash with the genuine Optus tool if I wished and indeed, I switched back and forth several time but STILL at no time would OneClickRecoveryv9 install. It still always failed.

SooOOoo after a couple of days trying everything listed here I went back to the files of the unlocked 2.2 Optus image by KK and made several different sets by simply deleting the "recovery.img" file and replacing it with one version or another of CWR by taking the images from here and renaming whichever one I wished to try to "recovery.img" and placing it in the folder with the rest of the files of the unlocked ROM.

I tried 6 versions from 2.5.1.8 to 4.0.0.2.

I then used the unlocked programming tool again to navigate to where I had saved the modified set of files and flash this copy onto the device. I could then z4root the device and install "ROM manager" and tell it "reboot into recovery" (we all know rebooting holding the volume - key does NOT get you into recovery anymore from what I read so I assume it's not just me?). So, using "ROM Manager" to "reboot into recovery" would then do fine and I would end up in whichever version of CWR I had spliced into the image. Sadly NONE of them would work and when I used CWR to try and install the "update-cm-7.1.0-RC0-V9-KANG-signed-20110606" it would attempt to start and then abort telling me the file was " (bad) " among other things (can't remember exact error wording). Before you ask, I downloaded all the files mentioned here many time by different methods both over usb link and direct download over wifi and 3g. Always the same result. They were not corrupted as far as I am able to prove.

So, on a whim I used "ROM Manager" to boot into the restore partition and with CWR made a backup of one of the working tablets and tried to restore it on the dicky unit from within CWR and that failed with a "bad MD5" message.

At this point I'm bailing frantically. As a last resort I take the image files from the "ROM Manager" backup of one working device and I copy them into the files of the KK provided unlocked Optus 2.2 rom replacing the 4 or 5 common image files with the new ones from the backup. I then once again used the unlocked tool to flash this "Dec's ba$tard breed" rom structure onto the V9.

I retarted as before holding the up arrow key and BINGO!! She started right into the usual first opening screen of the update-cm-7.1.0-RC0-V9-KANG-signed-20110606 mod.

It runs perfectly as 2.3.4 showing all the same attributes in Device Information shown by the 3 flashed by the normal method. It seem to work exactly right, in fact I can't tell it apart from the other 3 .......... EXCEPT, while I still can reboot into CWR with "ROM Manager" I can not use it to load any CM7 ROM as it still aborts telling me it is a " (bad) " file. I don't really care so much as long as the Android 2.3.4 install is correct compared to the conventional install method for the CM7 mod.

To sum up

Statement 1. Anyone who's bricked your Optus Mypad/ZTE v9 should find some hints on methods of recovery here.

Question 1. Does anyone know why one tablet out of 4 refused to take OneClickRecoveryv9 as an .apk at any time no matter what? and (most importantly to me)

Question2. Having finally managed to get 2.3.4 onto the stubborn tablet as described above using my patched together ROM files and the hacked tool rather than CWR. Even though I can still not update through CWR is my install of "update-cm-7.1.0-RC0-V9-KANG-signed-20110606" anything like how it should be done if done via the usual method?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Once again guys, thank so much "I am not worthy!"

Regards

Dec

P.S. I know a little more about Android then I did 4 days ago =-|

Edited by Decado

Guest oishii

hi do you have any idea why its taking so long at the loading phase for z4root_blade_perm_root_v2 cause i've been watching the loading circle spin for like an hour now and no progress?? any solutions would be truely appreciated

thnx in advance

nooby_at_work xD

Guest Decado
hi do you have any idea why its taking so long at the loading phase for z4root_blade_perm_root_v2 cause i've been watching the loading circle spin for like an hour now and no progress?? any solutions would be truely appreciated

thnx in advance

nooby_at_work xD

Hi

It has never taken anything like that long for me. If it's going to work it installs within seconds and on the one occasion I had it fail it told me "Application not loaded" within seconds also.

I'm assuming you have upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo first and that you gone into settings under "Applications" and ticked "Uknown Sources" to allow non market apps to be installed and then gone to the "Development" sub menu and ticked "Enable USB debugging" before trying the z4root.

If you have done the above and it continues to refuse to install then you are in the same boat as I was with the 4th unit I did. I was unable to get it to install until I mixed up my own set of rom files as described above and loaded them with the hacked flash tool from ZTE. You may need to do the same.

If KK or one of the people who actually has a clue about the ROMS will confirm that how I did it in the end actually results in a proper load of 2.3.4 CM7 as it appears to me then I'm happy to make the version I stitched together for uploading to my stubborn unit with the cracked tool available to all. I just don't want to make it available to even bigger noobs than myself if it's flawed.

I too would really like to know why some tablets won't accept CWM/OneClickRecovery also

Regards

Dec

Edited by Decado

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Decado

Quick bump

For anyone interested I can now answer my own "Question 1"

The reason the tab would not accept an install of oneclickrecovery *IS* due to microsd card failure. I did swap the original and copy the files required several times via cable and wifi and there for considered SD card problems eliminated.

Just for kicks I installed a third card that had become available last night and it worked for the first time. To be sure I restored all the way back to stock optus roms and performed the entire upgrade proceedure again without error.

Obviously the sandisk units that come with them are "less than best".

I already bought another one to replace this ... oh well, a spare unused MyTab has got to be good right ? :)

Regards

Dec