Browser errors and restarts (Android 3.1)

Guest karnedge

Guest karnedge

Found on www.in-tech.bb:

In the last minor update it has been noticed that there are some lag (and the occasional crash) on the Asus Transformer’s Honeycomb browser.

Now it is easily understand able that Android 3.1 update in June will make the browser, and the OS in general, a hell of a lot more stable but for those tablets that don’t have an announced upgrade date yet. Here is a way that we have found after hours of internet research to improve Honeycomb browser speed. Please follow the below mentioned instructions.

Instructions:

Open the browser and type the following in the address

about:debug

Nothing will appear to have happened; go to the menu button in the top right though and you will notice some extra menu items have been added.

Select Settings

In the Settings menu select Debug on the left and uncheck Enable OpenGL Rendering to turn it off.

You’re done.

This has been tested by many developers and they found that the browser seems more stable and there is less keyboard lag as a result too.

Worked for me on the native browser. Not sure how to fix Dolphin tho...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chinren

Thanks for this tip!

I found that the native browser and the Dolphin browser seem to bomb out at the same place. Opera seems to be okay, though it has quirks of its own. Are there any other decent browsers out there?

I like the Dolphin one because of the tabs arrangement, but I don't like how the tabs scroll off the top. I also like it because you can set the thing to be 'desktop' so you don't get redirected to all the mobile sites when surfing. (Annoying).

Guest dvdcompare
Thanks for this tip!

I found that the native browser and the Dolphin browser seem to bomb out at the same place. Opera seems to be okay, though it has quirks of its own. Are there any other decent browsers out there?

I like the Dolphin one because of the tabs arrangement, but I don't like how the tabs scroll off the top. I also like it because you can set the thing to be 'desktop' so you don't get redirected to all the mobile sites when surfing. (Annoying).

You can do that in the stock browser too. I think it is in Settings -> Advance and then "User agent string" or something which allows you to choose from "Desktop", "Tablet" or "Mobile".

Guest Involver

Well, hate to rain on your parade, but that trick doesn't seem to work for me. Especially the Modaco website has the habbit of crapping out and it still does. Even after turning of the opengl setting... I' m on stock 3.1 (8.4.4.5)

Guest jonnyspuruk
Well, hate to rain on your parade, but that trick doesn't seem to work for me. Especially the Modaco website has the habbit of crapping out and it still does. Even after turning of the opengl setting... I' m on stock 3.1 (8.4.4.5)

Same here. Modaco website seems to crash alot more than most

Guest Burgee

Hi all, first post be gentle!

I've been playing with browsers today as I was having this problem a lot in the stock browser, Dolphin HD and Maxthon. I disabled some settings in the stock browser but this badly affected the browsing experience, Opera was far more stable but no flash and no ability to force it to load full websites over the mobile version are a big no for me. Finally I tried the stock browser in Igcognito mode and it has worked perfectly for me, flash, java script all working and no more crashes n any sites. It's a bit more fiddly and you always have to remember to use the menu to open a new tab over the + but I'll take a working browser over that.

Hope that helps someone who is as frustrated as I was

Guest Dunetails
Hi all, first post be gentle!

I've been playing with browsers today as I was having this problem a lot in the stock browser, Dolphin HD and Maxthon. I disabled some settings in the stock browser but this badly affected the browsing experience, Opera was far more stable but no flash and no ability to force it to load full websites over the mobile version are a big no for me. Finally I tried the stock browser in Igcognito mode and it has worked perfectly for me, flash, java script all working and no more crashes n any sites. It's a bit more fiddly and you always have to remember to use the menu to open a new tab over the + but I'll take a working browser over that.

Hope that helps someone who is as frustrated as I was

Sir,whether a newbie or not,you've struck a temporary fix!

I've tested myself,I have four web pages that if i load tthem all a the same time I can guarantee a crash.if I open an incognito window and THEN open all four its fine.

Guest Deus_ex11

I'm using opera and I prefer it over the stock browser. It has been updated in the market and now supports flash and desktop user agent. Its a bit quicker too to load pages and best of all no typing lag with touchscreen and keyboard dock.

Guest jonnyspuruk

just a quick note. recently conigured my 3g dongle to work on transformer. when browsing on 3g i get no browser restarts atall, not even on modaco but as soon as i switch back to wifi they happen again straight away :-(

Guest Fabrizioso

Hello!

After I have been reading here for some months already, this is my first post now...

I am also suffering of the random browser crashes, so far encountered with the stock browser as well as with Dolphin HD.

Sir,whether a newbie or not,you've struck a temporary fix!

I've tested myself,I have four web pages that if i load tthem all a the same time I can guarantee a crash.if I open an incognito window and THEN open all four its fine.

Could you post the links that are proven to crash the browser? This would be a good regression test and would help to track down this issue.

Thanks

Fabrizio

Guest Dunetails
Hello!

After I have been reading here for some months already, this is my first post now...

I am also suffering of the random browser crashes, so far encountered with the stock browser as well as with Dolphin HD.

Could you post the links that are proven to crash the browser? This would be a good regression test and would help to track down this issue.

Thanks

Fabrizio

I'm afraid my links are mostly for password protected sites however I believe the mobile versions of buzz and google reader cause a crash on mine as well.

Incognito has definitely made a bbig difference with me.

Guest trishmac

Only had my TF for 2 days and the browser issues are driving me mad..both on stock and alternatives. It freezes, and typing lags..esp on google search, and the back button takes you to a white screen. Posted 2 links below to show the amount of dissatisfied users. Seems to be a honeycomb problem

:blink:

browser probems

asus facebook

Edited by trishmac

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anil k Solanki

Only had my TF for 2 days and the browser issues are driving me mad..both on stock and alternatives. It freezes, and typing lags..esp on google search, and the back button takes you to a white screen. Posted 2 links below to show the amount of dissatisfied users. Seems to be a honeycomb problem

:blink:

browser probems

asus facebook

Hi trishmac, thanks for the links. I have bought a Transformer for my girlfriend (which will arrive on Thursday 4th August). According to your ASUS Facebook link, ANDROID 3.2 arrives here in Italy on the 2nd of AUGUST, perfect timing! I hope my girlfriend never experiences any of the browser issues that seem to be plaguing Transformer user's. Fingers crossed.

Anil.