32gb sd card wont work - advice required SOS

Guest andrew531

Guest andrew531

Hi,

I have searched all over for an answer and notice there are multiple sd card queries, so apologies if I am annoying anyone.

I have Modaco custom R8 Rom and Kernel Version 2.6.32.9_MCK_r2_slave.

Everything appears to work fine and I have no other known isues.

I initially tried to drag and drop the contents of my original card (4gb card supplied with Vega) after formating it normally on my laptop (right clicked on drive and clicked format). However this was not recognised by my Vega when I inserted it.

So then I simply formated it again as above and simply put it into my Vega. The Vega accepted it and installed its own files onto it, so I thought great!! However when I try to put music files onto the card either via USB or removing the card and manually installing via laptop by dragging and dropping into a media file/ music. The Vega either says damaged card or it says preparing card forever and nothing happens and when I try to access the card via iFileManager there is nothing there!!?

I have read about partitioning etc and a variety of tools to make the card more 'mount friendly' for the Vega but I am completely lost as a novice.

The 32gb card that I am trying to use is perfectly readable in the laptop and also works in my hd camcorder so I dont think it is a damaged or dodgy card. So am I doing something really wrong as a noob? I would be so grateful for any advice as I am demented and do not want to fork out for another card for no reason.

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to help me - remeember I am completely new to this and have no real 'programming knowledge' etc.

thanks againYyy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest premieral
Hi,

I have searched all over for an answer and notice there are multiple sd card queries, so apologies if I am annoying anyone.

I have Modaco custom R8 Rom and Kernel Version 2.6.32.9_MCK_r2_slave.

Everything appears to work fine and I have no other known isues.

I initially tried to drag and drop the contents of my original card (4gb card supplied with Vega) after formating it normally on my laptop (right clicked on drive and clicked format). However this was not recognised by my Vega when I inserted it.

So then I simply formated it again as above and simply put it into my Vega. The Vega accepted it and installed its own files onto it, so I thought great!! However when I try to put music files onto the card either via USB or removing the card and manually installing via laptop by dragging and dropping into a media file/ music. The Vega either says damaged card or it says preparing card forever and nothing happens and when I try to access the card via iFileManager there is nothing there!!?

I have read about partitioning etc and a variety of tools to make the card more 'mount friendly' for the Vega but I am completely lost as a novice.

The 32gb card that I am trying to use is perfectly readable in the laptop and also works in my hd camcorder so I dont think it is a damaged or dodgy card. So am I doing something really wrong as a noob? I would be so grateful for any advice as I am demented and do not want to fork out for another card for no reason.

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to help me - remeember I am completely new to this and have no real 'programming knowledge' etc.

thanks againYyy

Hi

install clocwork mod then format the card with this utility, i did and i have had no problems although mine is 16gb not 32 , i have it formatted with 1gb ext

try this see if it gives you a better result, i know from earlier threads people who used windows to format their cards found it a bit hit and miss when placed in the vega.

good luck

Guest simonta
Hi

install clocwork mod then format the card with this utility, i did and i have had no problems although mine is 16gb not 32 , i have it formatted with 1gb ext

try this see if it gives you a better result, i know from earlier threads people who used windows to format their cards found it a bit hit and miss when placed in the vega.

good luck

Also, make sure that you eject the SD when removing from your PC and the equivalent, unmount, when removing from your Vega.

These features were put into Windows and Android for good reason, you are dodging a bullet each time you remove an SD Card without doing so. It's a boring technical discussion why but if you're interested, it's possible to use format cards using different file systems that more or less take the need away but out of the box, you need to get into this habit.

PS. Premieral's advice is wise...

Guest simonta
Praise from the master , this day cant get any better ;)

Thanks for the compliment, but I have to say I stand on the shoulders of giants and learned everything from those who have gone before..

Guest andrew531
Hi

good luck

Hi, thank you so much for your replies! Is clockwork mod an app that I can download from marketplace ? There is something on there called clockwork mod launcher but I don't think that is the right thing?

Thanks again

Guest premieral
Hi, thank you so much for your replies! Is clockwork mod an app that I can download from marketplace ? There is something on there called clockwork mod launcher but I don't think that is the right thing?

Thanks again

Hi Andrew

best way to get it if you are near your pc is to download vegatools3 from solidare here on this forum onto your pc, then enable usb debugging on your vega, hook the two up then under the recovery tab in vegatools select from memory paul o briens recovery app and clockwork mod recovery. This will then do all the work for you , once its installed if you are still using rom8 then just click the recovery app in your app drawer and it will reboot to clockwork mod recovery. This very useful utility ( cwm) will also allow you to make a complete system back up so you can always restore your favourite rom and settings.

********edit***********

doh or do it the other way that simon showed ;)

Edited by premieral

Guest andrew531
Hi Andrew

best way to get it if you are near your pc is to download vegatools3 from solidare here on this forum onto your pc, then enable usb debugging on your vega, hook the two up then under the recovery tab in vegatools select from memory paul o briens recovery app and clockwork mod recovery. This will then do all the work for you , once its installed if you are still using rom8 then just click the recovery app in your app drawer and it will reboot to clockwork mod recovery. This very useful utility ( cwm) will also allow you to make a complete system back up so you can always restore your favourite rom and settings.

********edit***********

doh or do it the other way that simon showed ;)

thanks for the advice!

I have downloaded the tools, connected my vega to pc via usb and it is in USB debugging mode. It comes up as 'removable disk H' the vega transfer companion also fires up. I have gone into vega tools and selected paul o briens recovery app' but a pop up appears and says 'Unhandled Exception has occurred in your application. The system cannot find the file specified' and I have an option to continue or quit but if I click continue nothing happens. Do I need to put my vega into recovery mode before connecting to pc?

sorry for being such a pain - I am trying my best to learn fast

Guest simonta
thanks for the advice!

I have downloaded the tools, connected my vega to pc via usb and it is in USB debugging mode. It comes up as 'removable disk H' the vega transfer companion also fires up. I have gone into vega tools and selected paul o briens recovery app' but a pop up appears and says 'Unhandled Exception has occurred in your application. The system cannot find the file specified' and I have an option to continue or quit but if I click continue nothing happens. Do I need to put my vega into recovery mode before connecting to pc?

sorry for being such a pain - I am trying my best to learn fast

If it's coming up as a removable disk, then it's not in USB debugging mode. When you select USB debugging, if you see a message about turning on USB Storage, select No.

Guest andrew531
If it's coming up as a removable disk, then it's not in USB debugging mode. When you select USB debugging, if you see a message about turning on USB Storage, select No.

I have unticked USB debugging and then checked it again. A screen comes up telling me what this is used for but there is no option to turn on USB storage etc. Is it possible that I have a driver problem? In device manager it is appearing as Android phone and when I click on that it says ' Android composite ADB interface' is that correct? In the portable devices part of the device manager it is appearing as H:\

Guest andrew531
I have unticked USB debugging and then checked it again. A screen comes up telling me what this is used for but there is no option to turn on USB storage etc. Is it possible that I have a driver problem? In device manager it is appearing as Android phone and when I click on that it says ' Android composite ADB interface' is that correct? In the portable devices part of the device manager it is appearing as H:\

I have found where to turn off mass storage now and have done so but it is still not working. Anything that I click on in the vegatools program is coming up as 'unhandled exception'. I will uninstall and try to download and install again.

Guest premieral
I have found where to turn off mass storage now and have done so but it is still not working. Anything that I click on in the vegatools program is coming up as 'unhandled exception'. I will uninstall and try to download and install again.

Hi Andrew sorry was away from my desk for a while, let us know what happens when you reinstall vegatools but also try the link that simon gave as this is add.the bads version of the same process that runs a script to install clockwork mod.

you should already have the recovery app if i remember correctly when you flashed pauls rom mcr8.

Also would be worth while rebooting the vega just in case something is held over in its memory , i have no understanding of android but i have learnt that it is a strange beast at times and pulls things through occasionally that i thought were long dead ;)

Guest andrew531
Hi Andrew sorry was away from my desk for a while, let us know what happens when you reinstall vegatools but also try the link that simon gave as this is add.the bads version of the same process that runs a script to install clockwork mod.

you should already have the recovery app if i remember correctly when you flashed pauls rom mcr8.

Also would be worth while rebooting the vega just in case something is held over in its memory , i have no understanding of android but i have learnt that it is a strange beast at times and pulls things through occasionally that i thought were long dead ;)

Hi,

I have tried to download vega tools again but no options work they all say the same thing (as stated earlier). I have tried Simon's link and connected the Vega then clicked windows install but that just opens the command prompt screen and it repeatedly says 'ADB is not recognises as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'

I am running windows 32 bit

something just doesnt seem right but I have no idea what. I have turned off USB mass storage but it is still appearing as H drive when I click on My Computer

Guest andrew531

Is there anyway that I can check if the USB driver is correct and working as it should be? As despite having USB debugging mode ticked and when I connect the Vega to my laptop it automatically defaults to Mass storage but I turn it off ASAP it still appears as a removeable disk!!???

It must be something really silly but I feel like I have tried everything that I can find to read on the subject.

thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply so far

Guest simonta
Is there anyway that I can check if the USB driver is correct and working as it should be? As despite having USB debugging mode ticked and when I connect the Vega to my laptop it automatically defaults to Mass storage but I turn it off ASAP it still appears as a removeable disk!!???

It must be something really silly but I feel like I have tried everything that I can find to read on the subject.

thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply so far

Hmm odd, the driver is not what determines whether your Vega appears as mass storage or not. Reboot your Vega (full power off/power on cycle) and try again. Really important that you do not unmount the SD Card or turn on USB Storage when selecting ADB debugging. If the driver is correct, you'll see Android Phone-ADB composite interface in device manager but only if USB debugging is turned on correctly.

I know you'll hate me, but you're going through Settings->Applications->Development to turn on debugging?

Guest andrew531
Hmm odd, the driver is not what determines whether your Vega appears as mass storage or not. Reboot your Vega (full power off/power on cycle) and try again. Really important that you do not unmount the SD Card or turn on USB Storage when selecting ADB debugging. If the driver is correct, you'll see Android Phone-ADB composite interface in device manager but only if USB debugging is turned on correctly.

I know you'll hate me, but you're going through Settings->Applications->Development to turn on debugging?

Ha ha , if anyone is doing the hating at the moment it will be you ! With such an idiot perstering you for information lol.

It is in debugging mode and it says that it is when I connect to my laptop via USB. It also comes up with a little bug at the top of the vega screen. However it automatically goes into mass storage option, so I turn that off. In device manager it appears Android phone and when I click the drop down it says ' Android Composite ADB interface' but when I click on my computer it appears as H:/ Remove disk. I have gone to devices and printers and it appears as NVIDIA Harmony.

So is there another way that I can install clockwork mod. I have 'Recovery' icon on my list of apps.

Guest andrew531
Ha ha , if anyone is doing the hating at the moment it will be you ! With such an idiot perstering you for information lol.

It is in debugging mode and it says that it is when I connect to my laptop via USB. It also comes up with a little bug at the top of the vega screen. However it automatically goes into mass storage option, so I turn that off. In device manager it appears Android phone and when I click the drop down it says ' Android Composite ADB interface' but when I click on my computer it appears as H:/ Remove disk. I have gone to devices and printers and it appears as NVIDIA Harmony.

So is there another way that I can install clockwork mod. I have 'Recovery' icon on my list of apps.

I have read something about rooting my vega? Do I need to do this or will it be done already because I have the R8 Modacom rom installed?

Guest andrew531
I have read something about rooting my vega? Do I need to do this or will it be done already because I have the R8 Modacom rom installed?

I downloaded Z4root and it says that it is already rooted so I guess that answers that question.

Guest andrew531
I downloaded Z4root and it says that it is already rooted so I guess that answers that question.

When I type Advent devices into the command window it says that adb is not a recognised command or prompt. Could this be an actual problem with my laptop as opposed to the Vega ? Do I need to activate debugging or something within windows?

Just a thought

Guest andrew531

My laptop does not recognise adb devices command in the command window so is there something I need to do within windows?

Guest simonta
My laptop does not recognise adb devices command in the command window so is there something I need to do within windows?

Please be more precise. Exactly what error do you get? Is it "not recognized"?

Guest andrew531
Please be more precise. Exactly what error do you get? Is it "not recognized"?

When I open command window on laptop with advent connected in debugging mode and I type adb device it says 'adb is not recognised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

Guest simonta
When I open command window on laptop with advent connected in debugging mode and I type adb device it says 'adb is not recognised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

In the mcr install directory, you will find adb-windows.exe. Copy this file to c:\windows and rename it to adb.exe. Then try again.

Edited by simonta

Guest premieral

are you typing this command in the directory where you have adb-windows installed? because it sounds like the cmd cant find the path