Rooting the INQ Cloud ...

Guest flamingoodmedia

Guest flamingoodmedia

this was WAY too easy ... run z4root from the SD card and voila .... Universal Androot did not work on this occasion.

mind you I've seen no alternative roms for this device, and worse still mine from the Carphone Warehouse has firmware version "CPW demo" and guess what ... every few minutes some customer display screensaver video thing kicks in, VERY annoying in this retail handset, not impressed.

anyway folks z4root to root and whatever you manage to do with it under root conditions, good luck ;)

Guest Simon O

this was WAY too easy ... run z4root from the SD card and voila .... Universal Androot did not work on this occasion.

mind you I've seen no alternative roms for this device, and worse still mine from the Carphone Warehouse has firmware version "CPW demo" and guess what ... every few minutes some customer display screensaver video thing kicks in, VERY annoying in this retail handset, not impressed.

anyway folks z4root to root and whatever you manage to do with it under root conditions, good luck :)

Best way to help you would be for you to install this app and make a dump of the current rom on your phone. No personal data will be dumped, only the system and kernel image.

Then I'll be able to take a look at this and find a way to remove the CPW demo for you. Also I quite fancy seeing if any speed improvements can be done to the rom.

I don't have one of these devices myself or I'd do it myself B)

http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/

Guest flamingoodmedia

'ello fibblesan, excellent :) yep will do ... I'm flying thru phones as usual I think I've used some of your roms previously on some phones, poss the San Fransisco, maybe the Desire HD, can't remember ! This phone tho' looked good in the store & to be fair from a fairly unknown make it's a pretty stable & quick runner for what it is.

Here's the thing mind, by rooting & using root uninstaller to remove an app "vidloop" which I suspected was the cause of the demo video I kinda made the phone misbehave, the screen would lock up black etc expecting to run the video for a guess, I did call Best Buy & they said what must of happened is that they sold me one of their display handsets !

Anyway to cut a long story short because I'd semi-bricked the phone I downloaded INQ's own firmware update which of course refused to update my handset as the firmware was ... demo stock !!! at that point I was kinda concerned as there seemed to be no way to fix the phone or flash anything to it.

Then I noticed that in my running programs thru Win7 was "ADB" started I imagine by the 100mb exe file I got from INQ, with some experience before of ADB I fired up a new instance of that in a DOS window and ran ADB with a -bootloader switch (or similar) then thankfully the .exe file detected the phone connected in "emergency mode" and started flashing newer firmware.

Ok, so now the phone works sweet with a new F/W build it's running Android 2.2.1 build "1.0.2.3-cpw-13030" instead of "1.0.2.1-cpwdemo" so I guess I fixed the problem !

I read somewhere the phone company INQ had links to Hutchison Whampoa which is the parent company of the "3" network, and looking at the firmware it's also another Carphone Warehouse build as sold thru Best Buy adding typical apps from that chain of shops, Vlingo and "My Hub" the Carphone Warehouse backup solution.

I will go and make a backup now of the rom and get that to you, I gotta say mind already that I have used root uninstaller to remove some 'bloat' but you are welcome to check out the rom I have there B)

Guest flamingoodmedia

I've been trying both methods for dumping the ROM here both thru ADB and on the phone neither work saying there it does not have permission to execute the romdump command, from reading forums it would seem that the z4root has allowed SU apps to run but the phone is not "Nand Unlocked" ??? The busybox installer has just told me that much, I'm afraid that's out of my league now I can flash and root to my hearts contact but in depth working knowledge of the command line is above me. In ADB mode copying the file works but it does not run the final command and nor have the files appeared in the "bin" directory under the folder "romdump" ... the terminal version works to the point of trying to dump the rom saying there are no permissions.

So for now, I'm out of ideas. An suggestions and I'll get back to it. I thought z4root had done a good job here, perhaps it's not as rooted as we would like ?

Guest flamingoodmedia

as I had medium success with 'tinkering' when the windows .exe file was running by looking in temp directories and manipulating ADB manually (the exe is about 100mb so must have a rom in there) would there be some way to extract the rom from the exe ? Everything I'm trying is coming back with "no permission / denied" even when trying to mount all the system directories as r/w with root explorer.

Guest Simon O

Hm, not too sure now. As long as you've managed to update your phone that's the important thing. I'll download that update (didn't know there was one) and I'll check it out!

Guest Simon O

Ok this rom updater isn't going to help. Can't find a way to extract anything from it. Best thing to get a dump would be to make a folder on your computer then open the command prompt, navigate to the folder then do

adb pull /system

which will make a full backup of the system folder. Should be enough for me to look at please :)

Guest flamingoodmedia

I'll give that a go !!! It's been quite a challenge this phone today, with both f/w it gets stuck in a reboot loop too much for my liking ... the installer that INQ give on the website fails to let you choose the phone which is damn annoying but what it does do is stick all the ADB and INQ drivers in a folder in the "temp" area of user under Windows 7, I was expecting a nice big rom file there too but strangely it's not unzipped along with the ADB & drivers. The way I have to force it to update I run the exe, it creates the temp folder and runs ADB in the backround, at that point the EXE seems to be waiting for something using ADB in the temp folder before 'injecting' the rom somehow.

The phones not bad for what it is but the problems are outweighing the goodness now lols !!!

I'll pull the system and get back with the results :)

Guest hecatae

reboot loop, if you could dump the rom, a lot of the blade dev community want to look at the rom dump as it's running a similar chipset

Guest flamingoodmedia

G'Day ... whatever I was doing was not having much success ... every use of the INQ firmware updater was just overlaying the firmware over what was already on the phone so in the end the errors were there full stop and the phone was stuck in a reboot loop B) that's when I got a bit desperate and random, I ran the INQ exe in Windows let it get to the stage where it's fired up ADB in the backround, I used that to do a reboot into bootloader mode (which normally fires off the INQ updater that usually gets stuck at it's ADB phase) whilst in bootloader mode I fired up 'fastboot' and thankfully that was able to do a wipe of all the main areas of the phone, then the INQ updater did it's stuff and got me back to a working phone ...

To re-root this time I've used Pauls "Visionary+" rooting tool, again being random, I did a temproot which seemed to work, ticked "make system r/w" and ran a permroot, now I'm not sure if thats the same as nan-unlocking (all over my head now) but I do know that busybox installer now is able to write an updated version of busybox where before it refused due to permissions ...

So now I'm waiting for a free moment to try fibblesans romdump procedure again :)

Hope some of what I'm saying is making sense, these literally are the panicky steps I've taken during the reboot loop experience ...

Guest flamingoodmedia

... nope it's not working :) I tried the terminal window method on the phone, permission denied and tried the ADB method with ROMDUMP : permission denied being returned, all other steps worked. I tried ADB root as a hunch but it said "ADB can not run as root in production builds" or similar ... I'd love to let you guys check this out for me, it's not a bad phone but I bet it can be optimised.

I have noted fibblesans suggestion to copy the 'system' directory only and will give that a bash next ...

• 1 month later...
Guest xpansive

Guess this is a pretty uncommon phone...

I managed to get romdump to run past the permission denied thing, it involves running the install script as root. Only problem is that now it gives me a segmentation fault and doesn't dump anything :(. I also did a adb /pull system, its available for download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?n3xn65cui7n9tw5.

Yesterday I somehow managed to brick it, though, and I need some help with repairs. It just gets stuck on the INQ "Q" and doesn't do anything. If I hold down the info button while starting it up, it shows me a warning triangle and the android logo. Connecting it to usb used to work, but then I did adb reboot-bootloader and fastboot - w hoping that clearing the user data might fix it. All that seems to have done is disabled usb debugging and now adb won't recognize the phone. The INQ updater does nothing either, because it says I have to enable usb debugging.

Any help is appreciated!

Sort-of edit: While I was waiting for the system folder to upload, I did some tinkering, and it turns out if you hold down the play/camera button, plug in usb and press the power button, it boots into fastboot mode! Now I just need a rom to flash... If anyone knows where I could get something to flash, please tell me!

Edited by xpansive

• 3 months later...

Hey, I have the INQ Cloud Touch and I managed to root it using the Visionary + but I was only temp rooting it. Everything worked fine so I though I'd permantly root it so using Visionary + again I rooted it permantly. Now I've done this none of the apps which require root are working and say that the phone isn't rooted, neither does Visionary + anymore but I can use apps such as Root uninstaller and that works. I've updated superuser, put the phone back to factory settings and nothing seems to get it working. I installed UniversalRoot which when I go to root it says its already rooted and asks if I want to reroot it which I click to do so but it fails. Theres an unroot button on UniversalRoot but everytime I click it it says its failed. Also Visionary Plus won't unroot it either as it reckons its not rooted but UniversalRoot says it is.So do you reckon my phones rooted or not? If it is how do I unroot it so that I can just TempRoot it so everything that requires root works again? Cheers.

Managed to fix this by installing Z4Root and unrooting it through that then rerooting it. Everything works like it should now.

Edited by Drum

• 1 month later...
Guest HUMAN123

I got it rooted using visionary +, just permrooted it then temp rooted it straight away, seems to be working perfectly. Love this phone, looks like something out of tron. If daft punk had a phone...

• 1 month later...
Guest orgwiz

hey guys, no rom yet but i just got a port of Clockwork mod recovery working on this...

INQ Cloud Touch.

if interested contact me at

thecaponey at gmail dot com

post-968147-0-43977100-1330726964_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xpansive

hey guys, no rom yet but i just got a port of Clockwork mod recovery working on this...

INQ Cloud Touch.

if interested contact me at

thecaponey at gmail dot com

I got it working too a couple months ago :). Maybe we should work together on a rom? I have found some interesting info about fastboot by reverse engineering the INQ updater, it's secured, and there's no other android phone that I know of that uses anything else like it. I'll make a topic with my findings here soon.

• 6 months later...
Guest viruscell

hello,

I wrongly flashed inq t2-218u (cloud touch) from canadian telus with 1.0.2.3 updater, now I got dead phone, and only fastboot working. can someone please help with info, files, anything? I can´t find canadian rom to flash, and make it work!

tia,

br

• 2 months later...