What apps do you recommend I put on my new blade?

Guest elboydo

Guest elboydo

Hi folks

I'm new to android and the ZTE blade. I've just finished putting Swedish Spring on it and I was wondering if there is any apps, or combo of apps, that you recommend I get. Obviously free is better but if its a paid for app thats worth its weight I'll definitely consider it!

Cheers,

El

Guest k0zmic

ROM Manager (Premium available too)

Titanium Backup (Premium is great)

AppBrain (maybe)

Dropbox

PowerAMP (If you listen to music on your phone often)

Prey or an app that can find your phone if lost/stolen

There's plenty of game suggestions too around here if you have a look.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest elboydo
ROM Manager (Premium available too)

Titanium Backup (Premium is great)

AppBrain (maybe)

Dropbox

PowerAMP (If you listen to music on your phone often)

Prey or an app that can find your phone if lost/stolen

There's plenty of game suggestions too around here if you have a look.

Hi k0zmic, thanks for the quick reply.

I've seen on the forums that titanium seems to be good, but what's the difference between the free and the paid version?

Guest daerragh

rootexplorer - the best file manager

vital player - for watching movies

swiftp - upload to and download files from your phone over wifi using PC fpt clients such as Directory Opus or Total Commander (and many other)

LauncherPro - the fastest launcher/homescreen app, replace the standard froyo or gingerbread launcher with its better version

widgetsoid - allows you to create your own, very customised power widget and place it on your homescreen

maybe not anordinary app in the strictest sense but:

apply wbaw's tpt repartition image and flash ginger stir fry, an android mod based on the recently leaked latest android 2.3.4 from ZTE, excelent ROM

Edited by daerragh

Guest k0zmic
Hi k0zmic, thanks for the quick reply.

I've seen on the forums that titanium seems to be good, but what's the difference between the free and the paid version?

When you're restoring you don't have to individually click on 'install' and it has Dropbox sync with the Premium version. It also has other smaller features that may be useful at in certain situations.

If you flash a lot of ROM's then it's essential IMO.

As Daerragh said you could upgrade to a Gingerbread ROM which is likely to be faster. Although, if you're more of an intermediate or beginner to Android and want everything to just work then go for an FLB or Swedish Spring based Froyo ROM.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest elboydo
When you're restoring you don't have to individually click on 'install' and it has Dropbox sync with the Premium version. It also has other smaller features that may be useful at in certain situations.

If you flash a lot of ROM's then it's essential IMO.

As Daerragh said you could upgrade to a Gingerbread ROM which is likely to be faster. Although, if you're more of an intermediate or beginner to Android and want everything to just work then go for an FLB or Swedish Spring based Froyo ROM.

Does titanium back itself up or is that like dividing by zero? B) It definitely sounds like a good idea so I think I'll invest in it, even though I don't plan on flashing a lot of ROMs, because I think its necessary to be able to back things up! And of course it leaves me the option of changing ROMs if I get bored :)

Guest Amphoras
Does titanium back itself up or is that like dividing by zero? B) It definitely sounds like a good idea so I think I'll invest in it, even though I don't plan on flashing a lot of ROMs, because I think its necessary to be able to back things up! And of course it leaves me the option of changing ROMs if I get bored :)

It doesn't back itself up, but using it means you only need to redownload one app each time you change. Also some roms include it, so if you use one of them you don't even need to do that.

Guest Tony Sidaway

I haven't used Titanium backup to restore my system but I assume that others have, and on that basis I use it and rely on it. Note that you do need a rooted Android system to run this.

LauncherPro is a strikingly good looking and highly functional alternative to the standard launcher/home page. I have said in the past that nothing has improved my Android experience more than this launcher.

For efficient data entry I've found Swype to be an astonishingly good tool. The idea is that instead of tapping the keys you hold your finger down on the keyboard and move it around to each key. It sounds insane but it actually works very well most of the time and it must have saved me hours of laborious typing. It isn't yet ready for prime time so you can't get it from the Android market, so you have to go to http://http://beta.swype.com/ to register for their Beta test version. Be aware that using an alternative keyboard means you have chosen to trust the developers not to log your keypresses.

Edited by Tony Sidaway

Guest crankykick
Question.

If i backup the messaging app + data does it include all my text messages too?

no -

I use go sms app for texts etc which has the ability to back up messages for you.

ti backup - backs up the app - go sms - backs up the messages

Guest elboydo
I haven't used Titanium backup to restore my system but I assume that others have, and on that basis I use it and rely on it. Note that you do need a rooted Android system to run this.

LauncherPro is a strikingly good looking and highly functional alternative to the standard launcher/home page. I have said in the past that nothing has improved my Android experience more than this launcher.

For efficient data entry I've found Swype to be an astonishingly good tool. The idea is that instead of tapping the keys you hold your finger down on the keyboard and move it around to each key. It sounds insane but it actually works very well most of the time and it must have saved me hours of laborious typing. It isn't yet ready for prime time so you can't get it from the Android market, so you have to go to http://http://beta.swype.com/ to register for their Beta test version. Be aware that using an alternative keyboard means you have chosen to trust the developers not to log your keypresses.

Does the LauncherPro completely hump your battery life with all its flashyness?

On another note, I think an anti theft app would be good but Prey doesn't seems to get some bad reviews. Is it the best or is there better?

I've also heard tell of data compression apps that reduce the amount of data you use. Can anyone say whether these are any good or even worth it?

Guest k0zmic
Does the LauncherPro completely hump your battery life with all its flashyness?

On another note, I think an anti theft app would be good but Prey doesn't seems to get some bad reviews. Is it the best or is there better?

I've also heard tell of data compression apps that reduce the amount of data you use. Can anyone say whether these are any good or even worth it?

Nope.

There's alternatives, I find WaveSecure good but it's paid, Lookout seems good too and it's also paid.

Well, I just use Opera Mini (Browser that compresses web pages) to make browsing decent on very slow internet connections - quite useful.