Happy or not with Leaked ROM

Guest t0mm13b

Guest slitz

Don't see what's wrong with the ZTE Dialer, in fact I prefer it. It has predictive contact dialing which is fantastic, however I don't use Facebook at all so I have no idea what's broken.

Don't see what's wrong with the ZTE Dialer, in fact I prefer it. It has predictive contact dialing which is fantastic, however I don't use Facebook at all so I have no idea what's broken.

If you use the android stock dialler with the facebook app then it gets all your facebook friends contact details as well as their profile photo & imports them as contacts. It's quite a nice feature if you use Facebook. That doesn't work at all with ZTE's dialler. It does have a few features over the android dialler too, like the predictive contact thing & also access to zte diagnostic tools using dialler codes.

The android stock dialler looks a lot cleaner, simpler & it has bigger buttons.

Also, I've found that a few apps just force close, some only if added to /system/app, some force close whatever way you install them. It's obviously an early beta version & unfinished code.

The Gingerbread native SIP (voice over ip, internet calling) doesn't work for me either, possibly due to the ZTE dialler.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Amphoras

I've given it a try, and while menu scrolling might be a little faster than CM7, other things aren't as good. I tried playing Angry Birds, and it was significantly more laggy than CM7. It has that annoying overscroll effect that you can turn off in CM7 but not here. No source for the kernel, so CifsManager doesn't work, no overclocking.

Its not bad, but with the number of people saying how great it is compared to CM7, I was expecting much better when I tried it. Kindof makes me wonder when the last time some people actually tried CM7 was. From reading both threads about this leak, there are a heck of a lot more bugs in it that CM7 at the moment.

I've given it a try, and while menu scrolling might be a little faster than CM7, other things aren't as good. I tried playing Angry Birds, and it was significantly more laggy than CM7. It has that annoying overscroll effect that you can turn off in CM7 but not here. No source for the kernel, so CifsManager doesn't work, no overclocking.

Its not bad, but with the number of people saying how great it is compared to CM7, I was expecting much better when I tried it. Kindof makes me wonder when the last time some people actually tried CM7 was. From reading both threads about this leak, there are a heck of a lot more bugs in it that CM7 at the moment.

I'd agree with that, they're just different bugs to CM7.

It does fix it so that wifi & bluetooth work during sleep, which is nice. It'll be great when they release the kernel source code so that CM7 can take advantage of those fixes & the features added by the new kernel.

I will do another small update for my released rom, then I'm leaving it alone & going back to CM7.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Amphoras
I'd agree with that, they're just different bugs to CM7.

It does fix it so that wifi & bluetooth work during sleep, which is nice. It'll be great when they release the kernel source code so that CM7 can take advantage of those fixes & the features added by the new kernel.

I will do another small update for my released rom, then I'm leaving it alone & going back to CM7.

See I've never had a problem with wifi until the new CM7 driver. Now each nightly I swap it for the old one and its fine. With wifi policy set to never, I can download things while the screen is off, I get notifications from emails etc. It appears to still be connected at least some of the time when the screen is off. Mobile data is always turned off unless I turn it on to use it specifically then its off when I'm done, so its not that. Is there a way to confirm for certain if wifi is still connect while the screens off?

See I've never had a problem with wifi until the new CM7 driver. Now each nightly I swap it for the old one and its fine. With wifi policy set to never, I can download things while the screen is off, I get notifications from emails etc. It appears to still be connected at least some of the time when the screen is off. Mobile data is always turned off unless I turn it on to use it specifically then its off when I'm done, so its not that. Is there a way to confirm for certain if wifi is still connect while the screens off?

find your phone's ip address, then ping it from another computer on your network - open a command terminal window & type..

ping [ip address]

where [ip address] is the ip of your phone.

leave it until the screen goes off & wont come back on by pressing any key (except power), then ping it from another machine, if you get a response then you're the only person running a blade with a .32 kernel that doesn't have this problem.

Edited by wbaw

Guest JolyonS
Definiately HAPPY with this leak.

Used appr. 10 roms before and now found that this kernel is - sorry to state it - uncompareably better in battery life.

Cons: Overall the operation is smooth but not as fast as eg. CM7. I miss the detailed settings from CM7

A healthy mix of this leak and CM would be the best.

Agree with all this - battery life is why I still use my Nokia E71 as my main phone but Ginger Stir Fry might be the custom ROM which makes me change my mind.

A healthy mix of this leak and CM would be the best.

The problem is that they don't mix at all.

When we get the kernel source, that should contain the fixes for battery life, sleep mode, wifi & bluetooth, then the CM7 developers will be able to use that to fix CM7, but just the compiled binaries aren't much use for CM7.

It might be possible for somebody to compile a custom version of cm7 that includes patches to make it work with the binary kernel, but it's not going to make it into the main CM7 release.

Guest Ralph Martin
I'm serious. I only made it to test out the new kernel. I'm just waiting for ZTE to release the source so that CM7 can use it to fix wifi, bluetooth & other problems with the current kernel.

What I'd like to see is a ROM identical in contents to Swedish Spring, except based on Gingerbread. I'm sure there are loads of other SS users in the same boat. I don't want all the CM7 "extras". I don't want to fiddle loads with my phone to get it back to how it is under SS. Any takers for making a ROM like this?

Guest rockstarszzzz

Right guys, I think I need to say a lot now. Nothing personal, nothing rude. I have used EVERY ROM out here. Literally ever, because I am a WinMo ROM Junkie! I just love a new ROM. So yes, I have tried this beta1, beta2, beta3 and all CM7 including a new nightly every morning!

Many posts in this thread are on and on and on about - CM7 this, CM7 that, CM7 does BLAH, but stock does bluh, CM7 can make babies, stock cant etc etc etc. - mostly from CM7 fans (I am a big CM fan too, love what they do and how they do!)

HOWEVER - What I don't understand is how can you lot fail to notice that it's B-E-T-A!!! You keep comparing a 3rd beta or 4th beta with CM7 which has 4 RCs and then 109 nightly builds!!! They technically had 113 attempts at fixing their ROM - but haven't perfected it yet which on the other hand wbaw has shown with stock and made it real good deal! Yes there are force closes, yes there is no fb contact, yes the dialer doesn't appeal you - BUT give wbaw about 113 attempts and imagine where this leaked ROM will be!!

wbaw, congrats on the fact that people are comparing your BETA rom with 4 times released and 113 times tweaked AFTER it's BETA. All I can think of is - if the beta is THIS good, how good the real deal can be! Keep up the good work man. You have brought a fresh deal and option for those who don't want have CM7 on their phones because that's THE option. I have tested your betas and will be more than happy to test any other releases that can help you help us :)

Guys, nothing serious against any of you who love CM7 like I do, but I think wbaw needs appreciation for making a 'beta' version this good! Peace.

Guest Amphoras
find your phone's ip address, then ping it from another computer on your network - open a command terminal window & type..

ping [ip address]

where [ip address] is the ip of your phone.

leave it until the screen goes off & wont come back on by pressing any key (except power), then ping it from another machine, if you get a response then you're the only person running a blade with a .32 kernel that doesn't have this problem.

Doing that I don't get any response while its sleeping. Don't get one on your beta 4 either.

Right guys, I think I need to say a lot now. Nothing personal, nothing rude. I have used EVERY ROM out here. Literally ever, because I am a WinMo ROM Junkie! I just love a new ROM. So yes, I have tried this beta1, beta2, beta3 and all CM7 including a new nightly every morning!

Many posts in this thread are on and on and on about - CM7 this, CM7 that, CM7 does BLAH, but stock does bluh, CM7 can make babies, stock cant etc etc etc. - mostly from CM7 fans (I am a big CM fan too, love what they do and how they do!)

HOWEVER - What I don't understand is how can you lot fail to notice that it's B-E-T-A!!! You keep comparing a 3rd beta or 4th beta with CM7 which has 4 RCs and then 109 nightly builds!!! They technically had 113 attempts at fixing their ROM - but haven't perfected it yet which on the other hand wbaw has shown with stock and made it real good deal! Yes there are force closes, yes there is no fb contact, yes the dialer doesn't appeal you - BUT give wbaw about 113 attempts and imagine where this leaked ROM will be!!

wbaw, congrats on the fact that people are comparing your BETA rom with 4 times released and 113 times tweaked AFTER it's BETA. All I can think of is - if the beta is THIS good, how good the real deal can be! Keep up the good work man. You have brought a fresh deal and option for those who don't want have CM7 on their phones because that's THE option. I have tested your betas and will be more than happy to test any other releases that can help you help us :)

Guys, nothing serious against any of you who love CM7 like I do, but I think wbaw needs appreciation for making a 'beta' version this good! Peace.

No offence to you either, but do you seriously think that the leaked version is ZTE's first gingerbread build? Yes there have been lots of CM7 nightlies, but I'm sure there have been plenty of other ZTE builds as well. wbaws version is nice yes, but I could make a few changes to any CM7 nightly I like and post it and it would work well too. Just because I made a couple of changes and gave it a new name doesn't make it a brand new rom that's suddenly stable after just one build. Nightlies are test versions too, the buildbot just makes one every night whether the new changes are actually working/finished or not.

Guest domerator

MAN! You've hit the right point of view!!! What you said are absolutely right without offensing CM or its fans (I also really like CM7's wide set of customization... but I became a big fan of this rom's reliability, stability, and mainly the battery life).

Edited by domerator

Guest targetbsp

Errm... aren't we judging ZTE's rom in general here???

I'm sure everyone appreciates Wbaws work on this and all his other work on the Blade. I know I do. But even he doesn't like this rom if you read back in this thread lol so I can't see him being that offended... :)

So while we're making slightly unjustified comparisons between development levels of the roms, how about CM7's couple of Blade developers, one of whom is at school vs a large companies professional development team... B)

Edited by targetbsp

Guest domerator
Errm... aren't we judging ZTE's rom in general here???

I'm sure everyone appreciates Wbaws work on this and all his other work on the Blade. I know I do. But even he doesn't like this rom if you read back in this thread lol so I can't see him being that offended... :)

So while we're making slightly unjustified comparisons between development levels of the roms, how about CM7's couple of Blade developers, one of whom is at school vs a large companies professional development team... B)

These are also right... pls. consider that rockstarszzzz and me both stated that NO OFFENSE CM.

Peace

Guest tutysara

I am very much happy with the leaked rom.

But there are other things which I worry about

1. VMSPLIT 2G which make it inconsistent with CM which is VMSPLIT 3G based. But as per my understanding this VMSPLIT change affects the kernel/user space virtual memory mapping and hence all the modules and drivers become incompitable (ie cannot be exchanged between this leaked rom and CM) - But does it requires changes to CM source code? If so, in what modules and how big are they?

2. How useful ZTE's 2.6.35's kernel source will be? I am already seeing some developers expressing their concerns about ZTE messing up the kernel source, they got the config file from this leaked rom and cannot compile the CAF 2.6.35 branch using this config. So, which kernel tree is this code based on? I am seeing some developers have already started working on 2.6.35 kernel source by incorporating ZTE's 2.6.32 changes to CAF 2.6.32 and applying patches. People working on kernels - which kernel source have you decided to use and develop upon?

So, AFAIK basically the usefulness of this leak rom for use in other places (read CM) and improvements by the community mainly depend upon answers to these questions and how we are going to approach it.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

I must say I more happy with the leaked rom than CM7 for now... I miss the CM7 functionnality such as notification bar power management, ..

I'm using the "diet" version (by iKrautDroid) of GFS ( by wbaw) and this morning I have tried to give a go to CM7 nightly 111... The leaked rom is more smooth I think. Don't know if it's purely "placebo effect" but I feel better phone experience on leaked ROM for me.

Like very much CM7 before, I've used n102 for long time.

Hope they can mix the two worlds soon. :)

Doing that I don't get any response while its sleeping. Don't get one on your beta 4 either.

You do need to set wifi sleep policy to never too, it defaults to turning wifi off when screen is off, but you can change that to never sleep & the leaked rom respects that setting, unlike every other rom for the Blade.

I have changed my mind, I quite like the leak now I've made it work how I wanted, I was just getting frustrated messing around with it last week, now it's good.

Edited by wbaw

Guest CaptainSpectacular
I have changed my mind, I quite like the leak now I've made it work how I wanted, I was just getting frustrated messing around with it last week, now it's good.

:) :rolleyes: Never say never ! :rolleyes: ;)

Thanks for your work anyway, I'll wait your beta 7 lite changelog for maybe jumping from the diet version. :D

Guest ufizo

ATM we are at beta 8 of GSF,

so many of the issues that there were in the beginning have been fixed.

Plus i feel that my battery is performing a little better than CM, also the entire experience is smooth and nice.

Im staying with this ROM for now.

Edited by ufizo

Guest iNoobz2Droid

currently using CM7 green V5 which has a great batterie life for me (multiple days with average activity)

but to have more options is always great