Boot Loop!

Guest krazeland

Guest krazeland

Hey guys I'm new here, I have just got myself a T-Mobile Pulse, it was on the old 1.5 software when I got it, it was having random reboots when in the middle of doing anything, so I upgraded to the 2.1 software from the t-mobile website. Now the phone gets stuck in a boot loop when trying to turn the phone on. Its stuck on the 'T-Mobile' screen and keeps rebooting every 20 seconds or so.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am a bit of an Android noob, so please be nice lol :)

Thanks a lot

Guest krazeland
Hey guys I'm new here, I have just got myself a T-Mobile Pulse, it was on the old 1.5 software when I got it, it was having random reboots when in the middle of doing anything, so I upgraded to the 2.1 software from the t-mobile website. Now the phone gets stuck in a boot loop when trying to turn the phone on. Its stuck on the 'T-Mobile' screen and keeps rebooting every 20 seconds or so.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am a bit of an Android noob, so please be nice lol :)

Thanks a lot

Oh I am in the UK and now the phone is getting to the 'ANDROID' screen, then its rebooting B)

Guest krazeland

Ok so I charged the phone up over night and turned it on this morning, the phone booted up and was working fine for about 10 mins then suddenly, it rebooted itself, worked again for another 10 mins and so on. If I leave the phone locked (in standby) it will not reboot itself.

Any help would be really appreciated, I have searched around and can't find a solution.

Thanks

Guest krazeland

I havn't messed with anything or tried to overclock anything? Unless you mean something different! Any idea what I could do as I really want to get this sorted, thanks for the reply :)

Guest krazeland

Installed custom recovery, now installed Clockwork, still cant install a custom ROM, phone is rebooting itself when half way through installation, finally i got a ROM installed, once completed, rebooted the phone, now stuck in a boot loop again. :)

Guest krazeland

Ok this is my last post regarding this as nobody seems to know a solution? I just had Tom G's CyanogenMod running on the phone for about 5mins, the phone then restarted itself, it will keep booting up normally and i can use the phone for about 5 mins then it reboots. This must be a hardware issue I'm guessing. Oh well at least I now know how to install custom ROMS etc on android!

Guest Casterina

Did you delete wipe dalvik cache, cache partition and wipe data/factory reset on the custom recovery?

Is there anything that you done in 1.5 which might have triggered the boot loop?

Guest krazeland

wipe dalvik cache? Do you do this through Clockwork? When I received the phone (2nd hand) it was running the original 1.5 firmware but even then it was rebooting randomly. When I first got the phone the battery was completely flat and I had to plug the phone in to the mains for about 10mins before I saw any response from the phone, it was utterly dead. I'm not sure if this could cause anything like this?

Guest krazeland

When installing Tom G's CyanogenMod, I can install the first ROM via Clockwork fine, the 'gapps' zip file however, will not install. I am getting this error message:

E:Failure at line 3: copy_dir PACKAGE: system SYSTEM: Installation aborted.

any ideas?

Guest Casterina
When installing Tom G's CyanogenMod, I can install the first ROM via Clockwork fine, the 'gapps' zip file however, will not install. I am getting this error message:

E:Failure at line 3: copy_dir PACKAGE: system SYSTEM: Installation aborted.

any ideas?

Download the gapps from a different ROM, this is a pretty minor problem i believe. All you have to do is get a gapps from somewhere and update the apps via android market :)

Guest krazeland

I will try that, thanks for your reply. I'm guessing wifi does not work with CyanogenMod?!

Edited by krazeland

Guest krazeland
I will try that, thanks for your reply. I'm guessing wifi does not work with CyanogenMod?!

Still random reboots, been trying to fix this thing for 14 hours altogether lol! :)

Guest krazeland
Confirmed. FLB2 and CM7. Reducing the CPU from the default 528(?)MHz to 400-odd fixes nothing

Thanks for trying to help guys, ended up sending the phone back to the seller for a full refund, have now purchased a different Pulse so just awaiting delivery! :)

Guest MountfordD

Just an observation, which I hope will be of help...

I have the same problem and this has been going on for over a year and getting worse. (I am running FLB-1.7 but I don't think the ROM is the issue). What I am beginning to suspect after being cut-off in mid-conversation yesterday and spending 20 minutes trying to get out of the boot loop, is a hardware problem.

The pattern seems to be that the boot loop occurs when the phone gets warm after some use and the warmer it gets the worse the loops. The solution appears to wait for the phone to cool down a while (a couple of minutes but it seems like hours) and then it will boot up as normal. I think the cause may well be the touch screen as I could not even boot into Recovery yesterday (pressing menu + red-button + power). It just hung on the T-Mobile logo. After taking the battery out and leaving the phone for 5 minutes, it worked as normal.

Running without swap (a2sd noswap), I think, helps but I can't be certain as once it gets into the boot loops, there is literally nothing you can do except wait for it to cool down. Nothing to do with the ROM or settings. It all points to hardware as the problem seems to be getting worse the older the phone gets. I have even tried going back to the original T-Mobile 1.5 ROM and the same thing occurs.