How to free up more RAM on Ideos X5

Guest trancer01

Guest trancer01

I see I usually have only about 180-230 MB of free RAM (depending on how many apps and its services I have running in the background) available for my applications. Now, my phone is supposed to have 512 MB of RAM on board. I know the android system takes up about 100-150 megs of RAM and that a part of RAM in also (probably??) reserved for the GPU (I`m guessing about 100 megs here), but about 250-300 MB of RAM should be available for the actual user installed applications. Is there any other way to increase free RAM besides uninstalling some of the apps?

Edited by trancer01

Guest Cirno
I see I usually have only about 180-230 MB of free RAM (depending on how many apps and its services I have running in the background) available for my applications. Now, my phone is supposed to have 512 MB of RAM on board. I know the android system takes up about 100-150 megs of RAM and that a part of RAM in also (probably??) reserved for the GPU (I`m guessing about 100 megs here), but about 250-300 MB of RAM should be available for the actual user installed applications. Is there any other way to increase free RAM besides uninstalling some of the apps?

You don't need to uninstall apps to gain more RAM, the core system takes quite depending on how much there is avaliable we have 512MB, thus allowing it to grab 150-200MB. Also we have around 128MB reserved for the GPU. So basically we should have not so much left but its okay as the system knows when to free up memory for applications that need more space to allocate. Anyhow don't worry so much !

Guest sebgus

It's a old windows habit to worry about RAM. The linux kernel has a quite good RAM-manager which closes programs that aren't used if the system needs more RAM. You can multitask pretty good with the 512 mb that is available on the Ideos X5.

• 2 months later...

It's a old windows habit to worry about RAM. The linux kernel has a quite good RAM-manager which closes programs that aren't used if the system needs more RAM. You can multitask pretty good with the 512 mb that is available on the Ideos X5.

but no way to improve the available ram, ram to reduce the graphics .... I think 128 ram is verygraphic ....