ZTE Skate is here! Orange Monte Carlo.

Guest LCFA

Guest Simon O
flash support would just waste cpu cycles anyway

Flash was slow on my old Desire. It's slow on the U8800 I have. Basically Flash sucks on smartphones. HTML5 is where it's at.

Guest Jekle
Flash was slow on my old Desire. It's slow on the U8800 I have. Basically Flash sucks on smartphones. HTML5 is where it's at.

True, Only really powerful smartphones can keep up with today's Flash Standards to be honest Whoever is pissed about no Flash it really isn't anything to be it's more likely to be a worse experience because it enables flash supported ads which make pages crash, but ARMv7 would of been nice.

Guest ohyesman
True, Only really powerful smartphones can keep up with today's Flash Standards to be honest Whoever is pissed about no Flash it really isn't anything to be it's more likely to be a worse experience because it enables flash supported ads which make pages crash, but ARMv7 would of been nice.

Only thing that i find interesting on this phone is UMA. My signal at home is pants (only to use the Gen1 to Gen2 TPT soon to see if that helps) old phone had UMA and it was very very useful.

Would this be able to be ripped out of the orange rom and intregrated into our Blade roms??

Guest k0zmic

Personally, I just wanted Flash for iPlayer. I agree that it isn't really that good smartphones other than the more powerful ones.

Guest DWaldie

Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a modest improvement over the OSF. Unless it has a better (or at least much faster processor) and significantly more internal RAM, it's only slight better than the OSF. Installing a worthwhile camera with decent imaging and video might make a difference. I'd be surprised if they asked much more for it than the OSF.

Guest targetbsp

I agree. Depending on the price difference it might be a better purchase than a San Fran for a first time Android user but it surely isn't going to tempt many San Fran owners to upgrade? If they'd got ARM7 in it then things may have been different. But as it stands, the only thing I see it really has going for it over the Blade is a flash for the camera.

For the cost of buying a Blade and then this several months later, you may as well have bought a Desire!

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Simon O
Only thing that i find interesting on this phone is UMA. My signal at home is pants (only to use the Gen1 to Gen2 TPT soon to see if that helps) old phone had UMA and it was very very useful.

Would this be able to be ripped out of the orange rom and intregrated into our Blade roms??

If it's in the kernel source, and we can build the kernel for the blade, then possibly.

Guest Gx3k

For someone like me who didn't have an android phone before (I have an Advent vega though) and my last phone is very ancient (a cheap china phone), the Monte Carlo seems to be a great deal if its around 150 pounds. Does anyone know if this can be used as a Sat Nav? The large screen is quite good for it :)

Guest AJ Guinness

I'm not entirely sure that it doesn't support Flash. Check out the details on the processor that (I believe) this phone will use.

http://gadgets.tmcnet.com/topics/gadgets/a...-processors.htm

Note that it does say the 800Mhz varient of the MSM7x27 phone, which of course the Skate does have the 800Mhz varient of MSM7227 processor. Maybe it will have flash!

Guest k0zmic
I'm not entirely sure that it doesn't support Flash. Check out the details on the processor that (I believe) this phone will use.

http://gadgets.tmcnet.com/topics/gadgets/a...-processors.htm

Note that it does say the 800Mhz varient of the MSM7x27 phone, which of course the Skate does have the 800Mhz varient of MSM7227 processor. Maybe it will have flash!

SeanJacko, the ZTE PR Rep stated it won't as there needs to be carrier agreements and things between Adobe, Orange and ZTE.

That said, the phone is capable of Flash.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest AJ Guinness

Darn, thats a shame.

If it did have Flash added, or at least a later implementation of Flash then this phone will be hugely popular if the price is £150, simply for iPlayer usage on top of the features there.

Edited by AJ Guinness

Guest k0zmic
Darn, thats a shame.

If it did have Flash added, or at least a later implementation of Flash then this phone will be hugely popular if the price is £150, simply for iPlayer usage on top of the features there.

I agree, I only wanted Flash for iPlayer too.

When Flash does come out for another phone with the same/similar processor I bet the apk will be made available.

Basically, officially it won't have Flash. Unofficially it's possible.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest Roph

A 4.3 inch non Super / Super+ would look pretty horrible. The OLED blades get away with it because the fuzzy edges and text are hidden by the higher density, 3.5 inch 800x480.

I wouldn't want a Pentile 800x480 4.3 inch display. If it was Super AMOLED Plus then sure, but I doubt you'll be seeing that on a non-samsung phone any time soon.

Guest liamdunn

Apparently it's another Orange exclusive which is a shame because they'll not be stupid and bump up the price thinking that everyone's gonna snap one up like they did with the Blade, wish they hadn't changed the name and kept the ZTE branding on the phone

Guest frenchy77

i havent had my blade/sf for very long, so no doubt when i get around to the skate it will be better value/priced and all the wonderful peeps on here will ensure it runs like a dream..

:-)

Guest ThermalDroid

Well since I got sent a battered repair phone when I sent my bricked phone back >.> (looking at you zte) I'll probably upgrade :)

Guest Pierreism

I don't know if anyones watched the various YouTube videos from MWC in February of the Skate but it looked uncharacteristically slow. Sure, everyone who was filming it seemed to be flicking at it as if it was a high-end device, but it still seemed alot slower than our current San Frans on Gingerbread.

Guest ThermalDroid
I don't know if anyones watched the various YouTube videos from MWC in February of the Skate but it looked uncharacteristically slow. Sure, everyone who was filming it seemed to be flicking at it as if it was a high-end device, but it still seemed alot slower than our current San Frans on Gingerbread.

Again that is a display device and the stock launcher always runs like cr*p, and If you've ever been to a phone shop with display phones you'll notice that after a while all the display phones end up reallllyy slowww.

Guest Simon O

Yes, that was a test version of the device. If you watch the newer videos it's a lot smoother.