Charging problem (rom-independent)

Guest ogilviea

Guest ogilviea

Hey Folks,

For the past couple of weeks, my Blade has been exhibiting some really weird problems when charging (or, more to the point, not charging!)

Using the mains charger, the battery would charge up to a certain level, usually far less than 100%, then stop. Then the battery would drain like crazy, rarely lasting more than a couple of hours, sometimes less than an hour! Battery Monitor Widget revealed that the voltage kept dropping below 3.5V . The usual battery calibration tricks didn't help, so I bought a new battery. Same problem :)

In desperation, I moved from SS RLS3 (yeah, pretty old I know) to CM7 (nightly 111 + libaudio fix, courtesy of Kang). Initially, things looked good, battery life was superb, but this only behaviour lasted as long as I charged the phone via USB. First time I tried charging via the mains, the lack-of-charging and low-voltage problems were back.

I think I know the answer to this, but... does this look like a hardware problem?

Guest crblues

Hello

It surely looks like an hardware problem... but not necessarily from the phone itself, I would check first if the charger is OK and maybe try another charger? Since it charges from usb I would guess your charger isn't good...

I have the same problem with my original battery. I just ordered a new battery, I hope it will be better with a new one. For me it seems to be independent of the charger, because it happens also when I charge via USB from a PC.

The battery show 100% after charging but drops very fast. Sometimes it is a 1% when I do a reboot after charging or when I charge it while it is shutdown...

Guest themighysquitt

With my phone I find in stand by mode my battery seems to drop really quick at first, then when it gets to about 70% it drops really slow & I mean really slow. Sometimes when charging the battery percentage doesn't seem to go up ie. when charging at 75% it stays on 75%. Very strange battery behaviour, I was wondering have I messed things up when using the Battery Calibration App??

Guest ogilviea

Thanks for the responses guys.

The phone is now plugged into my daughter's charger - let's see how it looks when I get home...

Guest ogilviea

Well, well, well...

My daughter's charger worked a treat! :)

Looks like I'll be getting a new charger - much less hassle than getting a replacement Blade (and mine is an OLED one :rolleyes: )

Guest Grain
Looks like I'll be getting a new charger - much less hassle than getting a replacement Blade (and mine is an OLED one :) )

I just experienced that, too. With the stock charger, the Blade would report AC charging, but nothing actually happened. Using another charger fixed the problem. I measured charger voltage - under load it went down to 4 volts which is far too low for charging. Looks like the wall warts included with the Blade are not the most reliable ones. I recommend to unplug them if not in use.

See also the new FAQ section.

Guest MrPuddington
With my phone I find in stand by mode my battery seems to drop really quick at first, then when it gets to about 70% it drops really slow & I mean really slow.
Yes, the battery level is not very accurate. I suppose that calibration should improve things, but I doubt that it will ever be perfect.

BTW, I have the feeling that my battery life is shorter than it used to be. Obviously is not old by any standard, but can it be wearing out already? I know it is made in China, and that means it is probably not too durable, but 6 months still seems like a very bad lifetime.

Guest sm4tik
I know it is made in China

Well.. tell me what isn't :)

Maybe some apps are using more battery as they've developed further, or you're using more apps than you used to?

Edited by sm4tik