Source codes

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

Guest Simon O

The base source is .32 am afraid, with tiny bits of .35 thrown in for a good measure.

Its not a real .35 kernel source unlike CAF, HTC, or LG.....

If it was, the internal structural changes would have reflected the true .35 sources, but no, the board code for the Blade and Skate bears uncanny resemblance to .32.

In other words, ZTE failed to deliver the goods.

ZTE uploaded the Skate kernel code as promised. Yeah it's bodged, it's using bits of .32 and doesn't build but it is the kernel code and ZTE have done all they needed to do with regards to GPL. So really it's unfair to still be claiming that ZTE haven't delivered.

Other manufacturers have equally bad kernels. Sony Ericsson, for example, use .32 kernels on Gingerbread ROMs. As long as it works right?

As much as I personally would have liked true .35.7 kernel code properly commented with no bodges, it didn't happen. Nothing we can do about it... and since when did bad ZTE code stop us before? :)

Guest hecatae

ZTE uploaded the Skate kernel code as promised. Yeah it's bodged, it's using bits of .32 and doesn't build but it is the kernel code and ZTE have done all they needed to do with regards to GPL. So really it's unfair to still be claiming that ZTE haven't delivered.

Other manufacturers have equally bad kernels. Sony Ericsson, for example, use .32 kernels on Gingerbread ROMs. As long as it works right?

As much as I personally would have liked true .35.7 kernel code properly commented with no bodges, it didn't happen. Nothing we can do about it... and since when did bad ZTE code stop us before? :)

flibblesan, you seem to be getting your wires crossed, both sony ericsson and motorola release perfectly good .32 kernel sources for gingerbread, and there is nothing wrong with keeping a .32 source for a gingerbread release.

ZTE have released their source, and I'm not surprised the Skate is suffering if it has such a fragmented source for it's boot.img.

the only really option for developers is to take the .32 source, cleanly port it to .35 .38 etc and go forward, ignoring the mess ZTE have released.

If it wont build for the Skate or wont build exactly the same kernel that they're distributing in executable form, then it isn't GPL compliant. They fail on a few other parts of the GPL too, like including source code or a written offer of how to get it in the box with the phone.

They still haven't complied with the GPL for the .32 kernel as used in the new v880 phones with the new screen.

It certainly doesn't build for the Blade, so if the Libra is released next week with Gingerbread, then we'll need new source code for that too.

The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable. However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the executable.
Edited by wbaw

Guest Simon O

flibblesan, you seem to be getting your wires crossed, both sony ericsson and motorola release perfectly good .32 kernel sources for gingerbread, and there is nothing wrong with keeping a .32 source for a gingerbread release.

ZTE have released their source, and I'm not surprised the Skate is suffering if it has such a fragmented source for it's boot.img.

the only really option for developers is to take the .32 source, cleanly port it to .35 .38 etc and go forward, ignoring the mess ZTE have released.

Yeah I think I was.. sorry.

Several developers have tried to update the code with little success. Anyway the new .35 code apparently builds and works on the Skate fine, just the Blade that has issues which is understandable although the GPU issue has been resolved (typo). I do hope ZTE release the Libra code on time.

Guest Simon O

ZTE_UK just tweeted a link to this thread. I wonder if that means they will actually release source code that isn't mangled some time soon?

That is rather brave of them to tweet a link to this thread lol :D