CoPilot Live Premium

Guest dawsog01

Guest dawsog01

The new version of CoPilot (Live Premium) is currently 50% off on the marketplace (CoPilot) - anyone know if it works o.k. on a Blade?

Also, if anyone has used the new version, is it any good (very mixed reviews so far...better interface, but quite buggy seems to be the general consensus....)

Guest buneech

Oh what the hell, i like v8, so i bought this. It's cheap, while it's on sale. :)

Seems to work quite fine on the Blade, still downloading maps. :rolleyes:

Guest dawsog01
works on blade, just asked @copilotlive if it's transferable as upgrading handset soon

copilot replied here:

http://twitter.com/#!/copilotlive/stat...368262652313600

just found it in the FAQ:

Yes, you can move CoPilot Live between devices with the same mobile operating system, e.g. from one Android phone to another Android phone or from one iPhone to another iPhone.

Android: to move CoPilot Live from one Android device to another, you must first deactivate CoPilot Live from the first device by selecting Menu > Settings > Licensing. You can then re-install CoPilot Live on the different phone.

Guest tdodd
just found it in the FAQ:

Yes, you can move CoPilot Live between devices with the same mobile operating system, e.g. from one Android phone to another Android phone or from one iPhone to another iPhone.

Android: to move CoPilot Live from one Android device to another, you must first deactivate CoPilot Live from the first device by selecting Menu > Settings > Licensing. You can then re-install CoPilot Live on the different phone.

At the moment I cannot transfer the licence between different ROMs on the same device, never mind moving it to another device.

I do not have this option displayed. I can get to view the licence details via Menu > Settings > About CoPilot Live, but there is no option to deactivate. Are you sure those instructions apply to CoPilot PREMIUM?

When I upgraded the ROM from Orange OEM Eclair to CM7 the software would not run. If I did not have a nandroid backup with the installed software I would be fracked. CoPilot support have so far been useless in resolving this issue. I really fancy giving Ginger Stir Fry V9b a go, but there's not much point if I can't get CoPilot to run on it.

Guest hecatae
At the moment I cannot transfer the licence between different ROMs on the same device, never mind moving it to another device.

I do not have this option displayed. I can get to view the licence details via Menu > Settings > About CoPilot Live, but there is no option to deactivate. Are you sure those instructions apply to CoPilot PREMIUM?

When I upgraded the ROM from Orange OEM Eclair to CM7 the software would not run. If I did not have a nandroid backup with the installed software I would be fracked. CoPilot support have so far been useless in resolving this issue. I really fancy giving Ginger Stir Fry V9b a go, but there's not much point if I can't get CoPilot to run on it.

did you deactivate it before updating the rom?

your problem is that copilot is checking your imei and believing it is correctly activated as it has not been told to deactivate if you did not deactivate before upgrading rom

might be worth posting this in the software forum http://android.modaco.com/category/366/software/

Edited by hecatae

Guest tdodd
did you deactivate it before updating the rom?

your problem is that copilot is checking your imei and believing it is correctly activated as it has not been told to deactivate if you did not deactivate before upgrading rom

might be worth posting this in the software forum http://android.modaco.com/category/366/software/

I can't deactivate it. There is no option (that I can find) to deactivate it.

In any case, it's the same phone with the same IMEI. If the software thinks it's already activated on that phone then why wouldn't it continue to run on that phone when re-installed onto a wiped phone with a new OS installed? I wonder what would happen following a factory reset. Would it refuse to activate on a reset ROM as opposed to an upgraded ROM? I certainly hope not. Anyway, I've raised the issue with support and so far their tardy reply has been utterly useless. I've noticed a few other complaints about this ROM and activation problem popping up in various places including the Market and the CoPilot community. We can't all be idiots, incapable of finding the "deactivate" option.

http://getsatisfaction.com/copilotlive/top...stalled_on_them

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a...e=order_history

Guest hecatae

this is what i was worried about.

copilot activation is treated like saved progress in angry birds, it's relying on a marker to inform the copilot server it is activated, and requires user input to deactivate the license, sending information back to the server, to allow you to activate it on another device or rom.

as you have stated, if you were to factory reset your rom you would end up in the same situation. I'm amazed there is no solution offered by copilot.

Guest tdodd
this is what i was worried about.

copilot activation is treated like saved progress in angry birds, it's relying on a marker to inform the copilot server it is activated, and requires user input to deactivate the license, sending information back to the server, to allow you to activate it on another device or rom.

as you have stated, if you were to factory reset your rom you would end up in the same situation. I'm amazed there is no solution offered by copilot.

Another thread here with some staff input - http://getsatisfaction.com/copilotlive/top...ice_rom_android. It seems you'd better not change ROMs too often if you want to use CoPilot. So much for routinely upgrading CM7 Nightlies. This is a farcical state of affairs.

Guest hecatae
We can then deactivate the license for you, but please understand that if you keep moving to new roms you will be locked out of CoPilot as per our excessive activations policy.

found that on that thread, how nice of them

Guest sambartle
found that on that thread, how nice of them

You cant really blame anyone for pirating the app if that's the companies policy can you..

Guess I wont be buying it after all then.

Guest hecatae
You cant really blame anyone for pirating the app if that's the companies policy can you..

Guess I wont be buying it after all then.

the easy fix, would be to log in to the copilot server with your email address and password so you can activate and de-activate. guess that's too hard for them to implement

Guest tdodd

Following remarks on another forum I have successfully reinstalled CoPilot Premium after a ROM upgrade from stock 2.1 to Ginger Stir Fry. All that was required was to rename (I guess deletion wold be fine too) the top level folder on the SD card for CoPilot. I chose to download map data from scratch rather than copying anything back over from the old folder tree. All is working perfectly. No need to deactivate anything (so far at least).

Guest eirlysbill1
The new version of CoPilot (Live Premium) is currently 50% off on the marketplace (CoPilot) - anyone know if it works o.k. on a Blade?

Also, if anyone has used the new version, is it any good (very mixed reviews so far...better interface, but quite buggy seems to be the general consensus....)

Hi All,

What bugs have you heard of? I'm having a problem with the sd card unmounting when using this programme. To be fair, I'm no expert and the first time I encountered this problem was when loading the maps. I thought it might have been due to the file size as the maps I downloaded were between 250 & 300MB (done on wifi). After a few tries I finally got the maps on the phone, and I thought the programme was great.

But, I took a longer trip this weekend and after about an hour and I got an error message saying the sd card has dismounted. The phone then crashes and reboots. This happened about 3-4 times over the weekend.

I have read stuff on other threads about sd card problems, but this is the first issue I have had since fitting a MyMemory 16GB, class 4 (I think?) card. I've been using the card for six months and not a glitch until I started download these maps, and now when using this programme for longer than an hour.

If it helps: My rom is: fibblesan's Froyo r11, and Titanium Backup says the phone has 30MB of internal memory free, and 12.GB of SD card storage free.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Bill

Guest tdodd

On my Blade the card dismounts when the phone gets too hot. This time of year, with the phone running satnav apps in a car, possibly being bombarded by strong sunshine through the windscreen that is a strong possibility. I've got a Play.com 16GB card and I've only had occasional SD card dismounts. That is with Google Maps and CoPilot Premium on different ROMs, but always on hot days. If you can keep the phone a bit cooler, either with shade, placing it in an air stream or maybe backing off the brightness of the screen that may help. It also seems to me that CoPilot Premium actually eases the problem over Google Nav because there is no need for a data coneection, data can be turned off and it is one less thing chomping on the power.

The only time I've had reboots is when using a flakey CM7 ROM with known GPS problems. The card dismount problem seems to me to be related to heat, not flawed software, and thus is a most likely a hardware problem not uncommon to the Blade and derivatives.

Edited by tdodd

Guest eirlysbill1
On my Blade the card dismounts when the phone gets too hot.

Thanks for that.

You know, I was wondering the same thing, but I have never seen this overheat issue mentioned anywhere in the forum. I only wrote on this thread cause there was a mention of bugs, and I thought maybe that's the problem, cause this dismount issue seemed to come at the same time as loading and using the programme.

You are right though. When the phone crashed the first time while downloading the maps it was quite hot.

So, it guess its safe to say when the phone gets hot enough that the card flexes and causes a physical disconnect from the contacts. That makes sense. But, in my mind, there are two things that still throw a little doubt on the heat issue.

1) There have been times in the past when I thought the phone was quite hot, but in the six months or so of using this card it didn't dismount until last week. The first dismount happened in the evening when the phone was in the house, and not exposed to ambient heat. Now, its only this week that I have loaded the Copilot (both UK & USA) as well an Ivona Text to Speech module. So, maybe I'm maxing the phone's memory (there is 30MB free)? Is it possible for that to cause the dismount problem? Or, perhaps indirectly by creating even more heat to cause a physical disconnect.

2) Also, if it is physical disconnect is due to heat then it must cool down very quickly, because every time the phone crashed and rebooted this weekend (when using the satnav), it found the card again straight away. Yet it is plastic, so maybe it does cool enough to reconnect in say a couple of minutes or so??

Sorry if I'm all over the shop here, its just that I ain't 100%, totally, convinced that it is heat related.

All the best

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest tdodd

All I know is that I've had my Blade (Orange San Fran) since September last year and have been running with a 16GB card since December. The first time I ever saw the dismount problem appear was in April, on a scorching hot day, when using Google Navigation and the card dismounted about 20 minutes into my journey. It was up and down like a whore's drawers for quite a while after that - maybe another 20 minutes - before settling down again. I've had one more such occurrence, again using Google Navigation on a hot day and once since getting CoPilot Premium. With CoPilot I was running the app for about an hour before it got temporamental. Maybe it is something other than heat, but that's where my suspicion lies.

I note you've had your Blade a wee while, just as I have. Back in the early days there were lots of reports of card problems with after market cards and I saw some comments that there was a hardware defect in the phone that was responsible. I'd still bet the hardware is the problem, not the software or OS. Too much heat and the card goes offline.

Guest eirlysbill1

Aye, it seems like heat is the common denominator. I just did some searching, and I didn't find much help in sussing this out. BUT, what I did find is that Flb r11 is set up to be overclocked. I know nothing about how to change the CPU speeds, but I do know heat is always an issue when you ramp it up. Perhaps because Copilot is work intensive, as are huge downloads that the CPU is making heat on the inside under heavy loads, and that heat, coupled with ambient heat like you experienced, is what's causing the crashes. If that is true, it would explain a lot.

I'm going dig into this a bit more, like using an app that shows CPU usage. And, maybe if find out how to slow down the CPU a tad, and keep the phone out of sunlight, I might be on to something that works :)

Thanks again, Bill

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest eirlysbill1

Correction: FLB r11, is enabled for overclocking, but it runs the phone at the normal 600mhz setting unless you change it.

Also, it was a surprise to me to see that the CPU is maxed to the limit by using GPS and Copilot. Copilot itself takes about between 60-70% of the CPU's capacity. The next largest user is the standard launcher which takes something in the range of 14%, every thing else is in single figures, or much less.

So, besides disabling the launcher, which probably isn't a good thing, there's not much else to shutdown in order to allow Copilot to run easier on the CPU. Anyone have any ideas what to do?

Do I have this all wrong, I mean if heat is the source sd card dismount then a CPU maxed out to 98%+ can't be a good thing can it? Are there sd cards that are stronger, or better able to take the heat?

PS: I can feel a temperature difference, on the back cover almost immediately after turning on GPS and copilot.

Ta,

Bill

Guest dlorde

I've seen a number of reports of CP Premium freezing and also causing the phone to reboot. It's happened to me several times (standard HTC Desire & Froyo). It's possible the CPU was heavily loaded, but the phone itself wasn't hot. I've reverted to CP v.8, which isn't so buggy, and doesn't die or kill the phone.

Guest eirlysbill1
I've seen a number of reports of CP Premium freezing and also causing the phone to reboot. It's happened to me several times (standard HTC Desire & Froyo). It's possible the CPU was heavily loaded, but the phone itself wasn't hot. I've reverted to CP v.8, which isn't so buggy, and doesn't die or kill the phone.

Thanks for that mate. I'll have a search for that.

It crashed again yesterday afternoon, when tested it on a 15 minute journey home. The phone was quite hot this time. I was beginning to suspect the car charger. Its been plugged in, every time the thing crashed, whilst using the satnav. Maybe, its outputting too many amps, and making heat??? Tested it again this morning, without the charger, no crash, and phone wasn't hot.

I'm grasping at straws, I know, but I bought this programme to use in the States in a couple of weeks time, and I'd like to see the thing work, like it ought to, before I go.

I guess the backup plan would be to revert to v.8

All the best,

Bill