Random Reboots, Unresponsive Screen, Boot Loops, etc

Guest digthemlows

Guest digthemlows

So I've had 1.9 since the beginning and it ran very smooth and stable. Now I am seeing random restarts 5+ times a day. I'll look over at my phone at work and see the dell logo, so it's in the middle of starting back up??? Or I'll grab my phone and the screen is unresponsive, I can use the home keys, and the volume, etc, but cannot "touch" the screen. Or, it will be "off" and wont come on with the power button until I've removed the battery. I've reflashed 1.9 3 times in the last week and it will be stable for a day or so, but that's it..........any suggestions?? What would cause this, I haven't changed anything or added apps in months.

Guest Azurren
So I've had 1.9 since the beginning and it ran very smooth and stable. Now I am seeing random restarts 5+ times a day. I'll look over at my phone at work and see the dell logo, so it's in the middle of starting back up??? Or I'll grab my phone and the screen is unresponsive, I can use the home keys, and the volume, etc, but cannot "touch" the screen. Or, it will be "off" and wont come on with the power button until I've removed the battery. I've reflashed 1.9 3 times in the last week and it will be stable for a day or so, but that's it..........any suggestions?? What would cause this, I haven't changed anything or added apps in months.

Could be that your internal SD is failing..

I would suggest performing a nandroid backup, re-flashing StreakDroid then performing a Dell factory reset. If that fails then it confirms that there is a hardware fault

Hope this helps :)

Guest Roperband

Nothing wrong with stock 354. I tried custom roms for a while (and they were superb before 354 came out), but the stability of the stock roms is worth any performance tweaks to me. Then again, I actually use this thing as my only mobile device whereas some of you seem to have a few tablets on the side. :)

Guest DJHope

I am having the same problems, does anybody have an idiots guide for restoring to stock roms? I found a link to the pkg but it doesn't seem to take it using the restore function?

Guest Azurren
I am having the same problems, does anybody have an idiots guide for restoring to stock roms? I found a link to the pkg but it doesn't seem to take it using the restore function?

I can vouch for StreakDroid 1.9.0 being stable.. Needs a reboot or two a month to keep it running smoothly, as do the stock roms

I doubt your instability issues are coming from custom roms however

Fastboot flash the stock Dell recovery for your version (Google / forum searches will find the correct recovery images and pkgs)

Then flash the pkg using the standard method (Note: Dells recovery "option 2" to flash pkg is "hijacked" but clockwork / streakmod, re-flashing the Dell recovery will restore this)

As you have already installed custom roms I assume you already know how to fastboot flash. If not then there are plenty of guides scattered around (Although many aren't noob friendly :) )

Guest DJHope

I actually just used the mega stable build from a post not far down and restored it using nandroid. This is 10 times more stable so far. We will see. Thanks for your help.

Guest rebski
I actually just used the mega stable build from a post not far down and restored it using nandroid. This is 10 times more stable so far. We will see. Thanks for your help.

Sorry that is a bit cryptic for me, could you link more directly to the information, please? I am having the same issues as the OP and would like to try your solution.

If that fails to do the trick then after that I shall swap out my internal SD as @Azurren suggests.

Guest Azurren
Sorry that is a bit cryptic for me, could you link more directly to the information, please? I am having the same issues as the OP and would like to try your solution.

If that fails to do the trick then after that I shall swap out my internal SD as @Azurren suggests.

I assume this is the build: http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...t-battery-life/

Simple nandroid backup so just restore it :rolleyes:

Here is the StreakMod custom recovery image if you need it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=840326

If you need more help search around for a guide. If your still clueless then post here. :)

I would recommend not switching your internal SD unless you have voided your warranty in some way (Such as taking it apart, or if its expired).

Its the inner SD not the "external" SD that can easily be removed and replaced

Edited by Azurren

Guest rebski
I assume this is the build: http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...t-battery-life/

Simple nandroid backup so just restore it :rolleyes:

Here is the StreakMod custom recovery image if you need it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=840326

If you need more help search around for a guide. If your still clueless then post here. :)

I would recommend not switching your internal SD unless you have voided your warranty in some way (Such as taking it apart, or if its expired).

Its the inner SD not the "external" SD that can easily be removed and replaced

Thank you that is extremely useful and very helpful

Also I appreciate the warning on dealing with the internal SD card, my warranty has expired, yes I have had my Streak for over a year now. Also I have bought a second one from the Carphone Warehouse clear out sale so I figure I am free to play around with the old one. 32GB Class 10 sd cards are affordable so I shall get one for the internal slot. @kwenteen has an invaluable thread dedicated to this.

Guest Azurren
Thank you that is extremely useful and very helpful

Also I appreciate the warning on dealing with the internal SD card, my warranty has expired, yes I have had my Streak for over a year now. Also I have bought a second one from the Carphone Warehouse clear out sale so I figure I am free to play around with the old one. 32GB Class 10 sd cards are affordable so I shall get one for the internal slot. @kwenteen has an invaluable thread dedicated to this.

Not sure if a 32gb is compatible. Don't take my word for it though, the answers will be in that thread :)

Also replacing the internal SD isn't that hard with the correct tools / lots of patents :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Guest DJHope

Sorry about the cryptic message and thanks to azzuran for clarifying. Yes that is tbe build I am now using. So far so good. Even better is that I am going to bed witb 60% battery since I installed that build :)

Guest DJHope

Hi Guys,

The only thing i would add that i had to do when i used the stable nandroid backup from here http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...t-battery-life/ i needed to upgrade the bootloader, otherwise i had randomly flashing LED's (very annoying).

To do this you first need to install the dell streak driver from here: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...tid=&impid=

You need to get the 354 amss.mbn from here http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/manii/354/

You need to install the android SDK from here to get fastboot http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

You need to boot your streak in fastboot mode.

Power down your streak and boot into fastboot do this by pressing power until the keypad lights come on then HOLD camera until you get to a white screen, then tap on the fastboot text in top right corner.

Connect your streak to pc -the text on streak should change to FASTBOOT_MODE. you should place the amss.mbn file into the same folder as fastboot on your pc run the following commands from command prompt on your pc Windows:

fastboot -i 0x413c flash amss amss.mbn

Now my streak is working beautifully with decent battery life and so far more stable than the build i was on.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by DJHope

Guest Alperin.1

If you are looking to replace the internal card only use 4gb anything more and the process gets long.

I replaced mine with a 4gb card and the system formatted it for me.

Guest DJHope

I just saw this on another thread to run a test on the SD and mine passed with flying colours, maybe it would be good to try this first?

I used these instructions-

1. Turn off your Streak

2. Hold down the camera button all the way, as you turn on your Streak

3. At the white screen, dial in the code “*#301#” – This will open the engineering mode that allows you to run individual tests.

4. Dial in ’10′ then press ‘Enter’ to run the ‘SD & SIM’ test

5. The “Internal SD” test should pass, and it should show “permanent write-nonprotect”. 6. If this fails, then you have one of the affected Streaks.

Guest Sean Jones

Another thing to try is to clear the dalvik cache, and the other cache (I forget what it is called) from the streak recovery. Mine had the same symptoms as yours, and that seemed to fix it.

Guest digthemlows
Another thing to try is to clear the dalvik cache, and the other cache (I forget what it is called) from the streak recovery. Mine had the same symptoms as yours, and that seemed to fix it.

I've tried that too...........I'm still under warranty so hopefully Dell will send me a new phone.............in the mean time I got me an Infuse and I'm diggin it......... :)