u8800 or ZTE Skate

Guest Schejtan

Guest Schejtan

hey guys,

i wanna buy a new phone in the next weeks. budget of max 250€. the u8800 and the skate seem to be quite ok.

advantage of the Skate: big screen and hopefully a big community as the Blade has

adavantage of the u8800: flash support

how would you decide?

Guest Cirno

First start, Skate will not get directly a big community as Blade here are some reasons !

1. The price is higher than blade.

2. The hardware is almost identical as Blade on a turbo overclock which won't do anything special; Meaning you pay more for less hardware.

3. A Bigger screen doesn't mean better phone :)

4. The blade has always been around and cheap. Will still have the largest community out of ZTE's products.

5. All above again.

As you saw the Skate were really something when the spec were not revealed however now seeing it's nothing new. Blade will still rule many people's heart.

I would recommend the U8800 over the Skate, reasons. Better CPU,GPU,battery life. The U8800 can handle most things of today and tomorrow. While the Skate will not.

Hope this will make up your mind, if you wish to save money and have a great amount of support go Blade. If you want something stronger, better and faster get U8800. The community of U8800 is so far not big but it's growing !

Guest That-Guy

There are reports that the Build quality of the Skate is as bad as the Blade, so U8800 Build Quality should be better.

Processor of the U8800 is better and also very overclockable.

So for me the U8800 wins every time :)

Guest Schejtan

ok i agree with your arguments. but comparing blade and u8800 how would you decide? build quality of the blade is really poor, i owned a swiss blade ...

Edited by Schejtan

Guest That-Guy
skate has a bigger screen though. but thats not a key factor for me. do you think gingerbread will come out soon for the u8800?

There will be an official CM7 which is Gingerbread :)

Guest Cirno
ok i agree with your arguments. but comparing blade and u8800 how would you decide? build quality of the blade is really poor, i owned a swiss blade ...

Well, I would do the two argument checkup.

1. Is there customization availability?

2. Is the community active and large?

If you score 2 out of 2, then its a good phone for the value.

If you score 1 out of 2, then you should view if the phone has more pros than cons.

Overall all above here said is stupid. I would give you this as tips I am a previous owner of a Blade I was really happy with the community growing for the Blade. It was cheap easy to work with and lots of people owned and wanted to contribute. Now that U8800 seems to be growing all around EU. We are going to see a new light and most likely a larger community. As the U8800 will be cheaper ones Idoes X6 comes out. As we know company's with small android share always fail afterwards when they had a break through. Will take time until they notice their error. ZTE's was the Skate as it's a stupid thing.

Anyways I am just yapping about nothing. I would recommend you to chose U8800 over Blade as it has more for the value than Blade has for the moment. Within 1-2 years the Blade will be obsolete same goes with Skate. While the U8800 will remain from 3 to 5 years. But this is depending on how google pushes the market. We all know it's always the big things that forces the market to change hardware for no specific reason(lazy coding?).

tl;dr - U8800 > Blade && U8800 > Skate.

Edited by Cirno

Guest Schejtan

when will the ideos x6 be released? i am not in a hurry so i can wait some weeks. i the price of the x5 drops it will be worthy to wait

Guest Cirno
when will the ideos x6 be released? i am not in a hurry so i can wait some weeks. i the price of the x5 drops it will be worthy to wait

Well in Asia it's already released, EU/US I have no idea.

Guest NeostarNeko

I don't like the ZTE Skate either but I think when it's released in the UK it will be subsidised to a more acceptable price. The real issue is the heavy customisation that Orange will put on it, all of that needs to be removed before it can become a usable phone. So without having a community of support it will be difficult to recommend. I suggest playing the waiting game for now and 'observe' :)

Guest de_shepherd

ZTE Skate is still using an ARMv6 CPU while U8800 has ARMv7 ... already this means the Skate won't run Flash and its possible that in the future other software producers may decide the overhead required to support the v6 (i.e. the inability to use the optmizations available with v7) is not worth it and more apps will be v7 only.

Guest Cirno
ZTE Skate is still using an ARMv6 CPU while U8800 has ARMv7 ... already this means the Skate won't run Flash and its possible that in the future other software producers may decide the overhead required to support the v6 (i.e. the inability to use the optmizations available with v7) is not worth it and more apps will be v7 only.

Worst case is if ARMv8 becomes standard as it holds more newer instructions and such.

• 1 month later...
Guest john.smith

It is already available in the US for $99 with contract, but it's often sold out and I wonder why.

Well in Asia it's already released, EU/US I have no idea.

• 1 month later...
Guest turtlerck

Hey, thx so much for the information here, I just plan to give the smartphone to my father as birthday gift. And now I prefer Huawei U8800, one reason is U8800 has better CPU and GPU, and another reason is that U8800 can play flash on web browser, but Skate can not. Thx guys. :)

Edited by turtlerck