vega advice please

Guest technomaniac

Guest technomaniac

Hi all,

Having had so much fun with my ZTE blade and this forum I decided to try and find a tablet at the right price. After a lot of searching I finally ended up back here looking at getting a vega. Before I take the plunge can you help me:

1. Is this the one to get for the money?

2. What version of android are you up to and how does it run?

3. Does it do Iplayer/flash?

4. Should I wait or take the plunge now?

5. What is the sound through headphones like, is there any background hiss/noise?

6. Can I use my giff gaff sim with this for internet, if yes how?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Techno

Edited by technomaniac

Guest phil8715
Hi all,

Having had so much fun with my ZTE blade and this forum I decided to try and find a tablet at the right price. After a lot of searching I finally ended up back here looking at getting a vega. Before I take the plunge can you help me:

5. What is the sound through headphones like, is there any background hiss/noise?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Techno

Hi Techno,

It's excellent value for money.

Officially it runs 2.2 Froyo, but there are roms for Gingerbread 2.3 and a beta version of Honeycomb called VegaComb. I use the Modaco R8 rom as it's the most stable rom i've used. You need to flash it and put a custom rom such the R8 to get the best out of it. And the Android market isn't available out the box, if you flash Modaco R8 it will give you the Android market.

It plays iPlayer very well, it's smooth. With Adobe flash player 10.3 and you can access most flash sites and play some flash games too, (I can play most of the Facebook games without any problems).

Yes you should take the plunge now, as they have a habit of going out of stock.

Headphones I've not really used headphones on the Vega

Hope this answers some of your questions

Good Luck

Phil

Guest Adam:)
Hi all,

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Techno

1. easily the best value tablet out there. hands down.

2. Phil told u the basics above :) im currently running vegacomb, its very good.

3. has an iplayer app and iplayer works on the net, flash works except on vegacomb at the moment, although they r working on it.

4. take the plunge :rolleyes:

5. the sound is good, and i think most headphones work, my friends beats worked well.

6. have no clue wat that is mate :L sorry

Guest gusco
1. easily the best value tablet out there. hands down.

2. Phil told u the basics above :) im currently running vegacomb, its very good.

3. has an iplayer app and iplayer works on the net, flash works except on vegacomb at the moment, although they r working on it.

4. take the plunge :rolleyes:

5. the sound is good, and i think most headphones work, my friends beats worked well.

6. have no clue wat that is mate :L sorry

For information- a Gif gaf sim, is just a sim card supplied by Gifgaf ( a mobile phone provider that piggy backs the O2 network)

For information- a Gif gaf sim, is just a sim card supplied by Gifgaf ( a mobile phone provider that piggy backs the O2 network)

Oh right :) thanks

Guest phil8715
Oh right :) thanks

The Vega is wifi only and doesn't have a simcard slot.

Giffgaff have a strict policy where you cannot tether (use the simcard in anything other than a mobile device). Like for example using your android phone as a wireless hotspot using a Giffgaff sim.

Also when I said it can play some Facebook games it won't play any of Zynga games such as Farmville, Cafe World etc.

Guest technomaniac
The Vega is wifi only and doesn't have a simcard slot.

Giffgaff have a strict policy where you cannot tether (use the simcard in anything other than a mobile device). Like for example using your android phone as a wireless hotspot using a Giffgaff sim.

Also when I said it can play some Facebook games it won't play any of Zynga games such as Farmville, Cafe World etc.

First off thanks for all your help everyone. I am very tempted but being able to use my 3g sim is a problem. Probably a dumb question but I will ask anyway. If you tether how does the provider know you are doing it? I would just be using the tablet instead of my phone so the usage would not increase.

Thanks again techno

Guest MaxiP
First off thanks for all your help everyone. I am very tempted but being able to use my 3g sim is a problem. Probably a dumb question but I will ask anyway. If you tether how does the provider know you are doing it? I would just be using the tablet instead of my phone so the usage would not increase.

Thanks again techno

The vendor / providor can tell (if they want to) how many devices are connecting via a single data stream. However, there are apps that can mask multiple devices so it appears to be a single device connecting.

Guest technomaniac
The vendor / providor can tell (if they want to) how many devices are connecting via a single data stream. However, there are apps that can mask multiple devices so it appears to be a single device connecting.

Interesting do you have any links for education purposes :) please. Is it possible to tether my ZTE blade to the vega via usb?

Edited by technomaniac

Guest phil8715
Interesting do you have any links for education purposes :) please. Is it possible to tether my ZTE blade to the vega via usb?

You can connect your ZTE Blade using as it a wireless hotspot if you're using a 3 sim card. You can also connect a 3g dongle via usb too.

Guest Katsunami
Hi all,

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Techno

Hello.

1. Yes, in my opinion. It is limited and crippled out of the box, but flash the Modaco R8 ROM or Corvus5, and it becomes a great tablet. After you flash one of those ROM's, the tablet becomes fully functional with market and all.

2. It seems to be Android 2.2.1 in Corvus5 SP1.

3. Out of the box: Yes, modified version. After modding: Yes, full Flash from the market.

4. Depends. Do you want a tablet now, or do you want Honeycomb? Can you live with the low viewing angles of a TN-screen? (An IPS screen will push you toward a much more expensive tablet.)

5. Don't know. Don't use the tablet for music, only websites and PDF.

6. Vega has no 3G as far as I know. In the Netherlands, the identical Point of View Mobii Tegra has a version that does have a 3G module. I don't know if you can get this in the UK, and I don't know if the 3G module works with the R8 or Corvus5 Roms.

Good luck deciding.

Edited by Katsunami

Guest Manbag
Hi all,

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Techno

Hey. We are in a v.similar position here, see my thread http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...asing-tomorrow/

I cannot find one any where. Apparently some more are being shipped soon.

Guest technomaniac
Hey. We are in a v.similar position here, see my thread http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...asing-tomorrow/

I cannot find one any where. Apparently some more are being shipped soon.

Hi,

Hope you manage to get one. I got one today in Canterbury, I was the last boxed one they have a display one left.

Thanks for your help all, now where do I start?

Cheers techno

Guest technomaniac

Hi all,

Sorry to ask tired questions but I am stuck already, here goes.

Does this tablet work with clockwork like my ZTE blade, if so can I have a guide please. Is it better to use clockwork mod?

I have been following the guides and have done the following:

1. Downloaded R8 prebake and unzipped it and the USB driver (is this the best rom to install?).

2. Booted the tablet and have APX in the device manager.

3. I am running windows 7 64 bit, what driver do I choose. The one that is in R8? If so I take it I use the I836 one as I have an intel laptop. One of the guides said not to use the USB driver with the rom, why not? What one should I use?

Please could someone set me right

Cheers techno

Edited by technomaniac

Guest SWOriginal

Personally I would go with cyanogenmod7 (better tablet experience) , clockword mod does work with the Vega aswell and functions in the same way as your zte blade, you could root your Vega and install rom manager then select flash recovery and then select advent Vega from the list.. then you can boot into recovery using an app called Vega recovery boot from this forum

Guest technomaniac
Personally I would go with cyanogenmod7 (better tablet experience) , clockword mod does work with the Vega aswell and functions in the same way as your zte blade, you could root your Vega and install rom manager then select flash recovery and then select advent Vega from the list.. then you can boot into recovery using an app called Vega recovery boot from this forum

Hi thanks for your advice.

I would like to go the clockwork route as that is easier, I did see the thread for installing it but it says you need ADP What is that? Do you have a link for cyanogenmod please?

Cheers Greame

Guest andrew531

I would like to go the clockwork route as that is easier, I did see the thread for installing it but it says you need ADP What is that? Do you have a link for cyanogenmod please?

Cheers Greame

It is not just as good tablet for the money it is a fantastic one full stop!!! That is mainly because of this site and the people on it! The vega is capable of so much more than it does ' out of the box'.

You will not regret it.

I have bought a mifi unit so I can use it online anywhere and it only cost £35 and you could use your Sim card in it because you can unlock it to any network.

Hope this helps

Guest premieral

Cheers Greame

You can't avoid installing certain drivers and adb not adp is android developer bridge. That being said simonta created two great pieces of work called yaudig and Audi which you need to search for here they will make it all very simple for you. If you get stuck on any matter search the forum it has all been asked and answered before and that way you learn a lot quicker. If you get truly stuck then ask we all want to help. I would suggest starting with corvus5 until you become totally au fait with flashing the Vega as cyanogenmod which I use by the way doesn't come with market etc this has to be loaded seperately and just causes you more work to begin with

Guest phil8715
You can't avoid installing certain drivers and adb not adp is android developer bridge. That being said simonta created two great pieces of work called yaudig and Audi which you need to search for here they will make it all very simple for you. If you get stuck on any matter search the forum it has all been asked and answered before and that way you learn a lot quicker. If you get truly stuck then ask we all want to help. I would suggest starting with corvus5 until you become totally au fait with flashing the Vega as cyanogenmod which I use by the way doesn't come with market etc this has to be loaded seperately and just causes you more work to begin with

I can vouch for Audi which is a fantastic piece of software (and good cars too), it cuts the work down by half. Last week I had to reflash with R8 I had it installed within 15 minutes.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUDIG :rolleyes:

most helpful thing in the world

just search it, and download the pdf, follow step by step and it can put the usb drivers on for u :)

Guest technomaniac

Like I said I do have a ZTE blade and use clockwork to flash roms all the time. While I accept what you say I do not have a lot of spare time and just want to get it up and running with the best rom and full market access ASAP.

What is the best rom at the moment with the market ? I would rather just install that no matter how difficult.

Cheers Techno

Edited by technomaniac

Like I said I do have a ZTE blade and use clockwork to flash roms all the time. While I accept what you say I do not have a lot of spare time and just want to get it up and running with the best rom and full market access ASAP.

What is the best rom at the moment with the market ? I would rather just install that no matter how difficult.

Cheers Techno

corvus5 mate, it is quick, comes wit the market, and the accelerometer works.

Guest andrew531
corvus5 mate, it is quick, comes wit the market, and the accelerometer works.

Defo corvus5 ! Its the best and most stable rom there is in my humble opinion. Then install go launcher and the honeycomb theme and all is good. You can overclock it too using CPU master which is free on the market and it is impressively fast!!!

Hope this helps

Guest technomaniac

Thanks Andrew and Adam,

Thats decided then corvus5 it is , would you be kind enough to tell me the quickest way to get it installed on my vega using win 7 64bit. I do like using clockwork with my phone as I said because it is quick and easy. That said I do not know if that is the easiest way to go with the vega, is it?

Any links would be a great help.

Thanks again and sorry if I seem lazy but with two under two's time is a premium. :rolleyes:

Cheers Techno :)

Edited by technomaniac

Guest SWOriginal

The easyest way is via clockwork tbh, root your device using z4root and then use rom manager to flash clockwork Mod and then use Vega recover loader to boot into clockwork. You can find all the .apk online