trying to install custom rom and failing

Guest alfienoakes

Guest alfienoakes

I'm trying to follow the instructions here, I have done all the previous steps on other pages:-

http://sanfranciscoandroid.co.uk/android/h...-install-a-rom/

Got as far as this part but the bits I've put in bold and underlined happen

• Download and save the ROM (it will be a zip file) to your computer.

• Unplug the phone from the charger/PC and take out the battery.

• Replace the battery.

• Turn on the phone whilst holding the Volume Down button on the side of your phone. Continue to hold the Volume Down button for 5 seconds.. GET "FTM" on the screen and locks out

• ClockworkMod Recovery should load on your phone.

Troubleshooting

If you cannot boot into ClockworkMod Recovery, use the alternative method to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery:

1. Open the Recovery Manager from the app list on your phone.- FAILS to LOAD says it has stopped unexpectedly

2. Tap the Recovery tab.

3. Tap Reboot into Recovery and then Ok.

Would appreciate any ideas before I just toss it into the bin, thanks, alex

Guest hedgepigdaniel

before you can boot into clockworkmod, you need to put it there.

flash clockworkmod to your phone in recovery manager, then you should get clockworkmod instead of FTM.

Guest statts321
I'm trying to follow the instructions here, I have done all the previous steps on other pages:-

http://sanfranciscoandroid.co.uk/android/h...-install-a-rom/

Got as far as this part but the bits I've put in bold and underlined happen

• Download and save the ROM (it will be a zip file) to your computer.

• Unplug the phone from the charger/PC and take out the battery.

• Replace the battery.

• Turn on the phone whilst holding the Volume Down button on the side of your phone. Continue to hold the Volume Down button for 5 seconds.. GET "FTM" on the screen and locks out

• ClockworkMod Recovery should load on your phone.

Troubleshooting

If you cannot boot into ClockworkMod Recovery, use the alternative method to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery:

1. Open the Recovery Manager from the app list on your phone.- FAILS to LOAD says it has stopped unexpectedly

2. Tap the Recovery tab.

3. Tap Reboot into Recovery and then Ok.

Would appreciate any ideas before I just toss it into the bin, thanks, alex

Have you got root access on your phone you can download rom manager from marketplace from which you can flash clockworkmod recovery this should allow you to install custom roms.

Guest alfienoakes
Have you got root access on your phone you can download rom manager from marketplace from which you can flash clockworkmod recovery this should allow you to install custom roms.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean

edit-I see now, I downloaded Rom Manager and ran Flash Clockworkmod recovery but got "an error occurred attempting to run privileged commands"

Edited by alfienoakes

Guest statts321
I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean

edit-I see now, I downloaded Rom Manager and ran Flash Clockworkmod recovery but got "an error occurred attempting to run privileged commands"

Use attached zip. extract zip and put < z4root_blade_perm_root_v2.apk > on sd card use whatever filer app you have to install then run app to get root access then try rom manager again( this is how i done it on my phone)

z4root_blade_perm_root_v2.zip

Edited by statts321

Guest alfienoakes

finally managed to do it using Recovery Manager, not sure what was wrong but now sorted.

thanks to all those that helped, alfie