wow brain hurts

Guest standarren

Guest standarren

Hi guys from the topic reckon ou no i'm a newbee i gotmy sanfrancisco about 3 weeks ago now

i must say its pretty good like all gagits i love having a mess about with them

so heres where i am found out it was 2.1 so changed to 2.2 but cant say i've noticed anything whats the difference in the 2 also

is there any custom firmware to install and what would you say is the best theres so much info out there

maybe someone has installed lots of different ones so they can give me there opinion thanks i advance guys

Guest Mushroom_Lord

When you say

whats the difference in the 2 also
do you mean GEN2 or Froyo 2.2?

If you mean Gen2 - it doesn't provide any differences at all the to Gen1 practically. Though technically it allows more bandwiths (right guys?) for faster downloads etc., i don't think it makes any difference.

Froyo 2.2 allows more features in the android platform, like push notifications etc, and is generally faster than Eclair.

I will recommend Ginger stir Fry to you for now, considering you are still finding your feet with ROMS etc. It has the same battery life as Swedish spring/Flb and other 2.2 ROMS - but is much faster at 3d gaming etc. - also more features in gingerbread.

However, if you want to try something with much more features, try Cm7. I find it great, it is a ROM developed for lots of of devices. If has MANY features aswell. Many people are put off Cm7 because you need to tweak it a bit before you are happy with it, and because it (used to be) quite buggy.

I haven't had an issue with Cm7 for atleast a month, and it is updated every night. Some people may experience it differently, however.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi standarren,

Mushroom_Lord's advice is spot on. I switched to Ginger Stir Fry last night. I used one of the total phone transfer (TPT) downloads, and it updated my phone to the Gen 2 memory layout, and I get all the goodness of Gingerbread. Since your new to this, go with the TPT method, it is silly easy and fairly quick.

Have fun.

Anil.

-------------------

Question for Mushroom_Lord

Are you on RC1 of Cyanogen? I am interested in trying Cyanogen again now I'm on Gen 2. If I tried it and had issues could I flash back a ROM manager backup and be back to GSF, with minimal issues? I would appreciate your experience in this area.

Regards, Anil.

Guest Pondlife
Are you on RC1 of Cyanogen? I am interested in trying Cyanogen again now I'm on Gen 2. If I tried it and had issues could I flash back a ROM manager backup and be back to GSF, with minimal issues? I would appreciate your experience in this area.

As long as you make the backup you definitely could. Mind you I've had problems with backups refusing to boot once restored of late, found the ones direct in clockwork seem to have worked better.

Guest Anil k Solanki
Mind you I've had problems with backups refusing to boot once restored of late, found the ones direct in clockwork seem to have worked better.

Hi Pondlife,

Thanks for your reply, however I didn't quite understand part of your response, the part that is underlined. Could you clarify what you mean please? I use ROM Manager to make backups.

Many thanks, Anil.

Guest sm4tik
Hi Pondlife,

Thanks for your reply, however I didn't quite understand part of your response, the part that is underlined. Could you clarify what you mean please? I use ROM Manager to make backups.

Many thanks, Anil.

I think there should be no difference between backing up/restoring between those two. ROM manager is just a gui for CWM with added features. If there actually has been some trouble restoring backups via ROM manager, as Pondlife says, you could make a backup and restore it manually in CWM just in case.

Guest Pondlife

I meant I had problems doing backups in ROM manager (which reboots into clockwork and makes the back up and then reboots into the rom) they seemed to be created ok, but when I went to use them some of them bootlooped.

On one occasion it failed to reboot into the ROM after it made the backup, that was rather irritating to say the least.

When I've booted into clockwork (using volume down when powering on) and made backups they've all worked so far, I might just be a bit cursed with ROM manager but it was a pain.

I agree there should be no difference but I've had a few refuse to boot :)

Edited by Pondlife

Guest Anil k Solanki
I meant I had problems doing backups in ROM manager (which reboots into clockwork and makes the back up and then reboots into the rom) they seemed to be created ok, but when I went to use them some of them bootlooped.

On one occasion it failed to reboot into the ROM after it made the backup, that was rather irritating to say the least.

When I've booted into clockwork (using volume down when powering on) and made backups they've all worked so far, I might just be a bit cursed with ROM manager but it was a pain.

I agree there should be no difference but I've had a few refuse to boot :)

Hi Pondlife,

I have been having some minor issues with ROM Manager myself. If I select back up ROM, the app will reboot the phone into recovery but will just sit there at the menu, it won't back up anything. Which is a shame because the only feature I needed from the premium version was the scheduled back ups. I have manually updated to recovery 4.0.0.2 and that has made no difference, not sure what the issue is.

Anil.

Guest k0zmic
Hi Pondlife,

I have been having some minor issues with ROM Manager myself. If I select back up ROM, the app will reboot the phone into recovery but will just sit there at the menu, it won't back up anything.

Anil.

For me only on Cyanogenmod does this work, I think using other ROM's other than CM are the issue which is unfortunate.

Guest Anil k Solanki
For me only on Cyanogenmod does this work, I think using other ROM's other than CM are the issue which is unfortunate.

Hi k0zmic, thanks for that info. Are you using CM7? I tried it yesterday, purely because I could now I'm on Gen2. But there was no Market Place app, even though I checked the box in ROM Manager for Google Apps. When I checked on the CM7 forum one or two people were angry they couldn't get GApps to install, one user was angry because he'd been waiting a week and no solution.

But then again that forum has very slow traffic compared to this one.

Thanks. Anil.

Guest k0zmic
Hi k0zmic, thanks for that info. Are you using CM7? I tried it yesterday, purely because I could now I'm on Gen2. But there was no Market Place app, even though I checked the box in ROM Manager for Google Apps. When I checked on the CM7 forum one or two people were angry they couldn't get GApps to install, one user was angry because he'd been waiting a week and no solution.

But then again that forum has very slow traffic compared to this one.

Thanks. Anil.

I also tried it yesterday but I'm back on Stir Fry since my proximity sensor doesn't like CM7. That's odd, I downloaded Gapps with ROM Manager but flashed with Clockwork manually and it's fine.

Guest Pondlife

Yeah installed cm7 and gapps no problems yesterday, twice actually 121 and then 122 later on. lol

The CM7 thread here gets a lot of traffic, the 122 version by sej7278 seems pretty good to me. Rather like the softkeys but would prefer more choice, be quite nice to have them on a separate bar at the bottom maybe.

Guest k0zmic
Rather like the softkeys but would prefer more choice, be quite nice to have them on a separate bar at the bottom maybe.

If you go into to Tablet Tweaks in CM settings you can move the whole status bar to the bottom, you probably already know this but it might be what you want.

Guest Pondlife
If you go into to Tablet Tweaks in CM settings you can move the whole status bar to the bottom, you probably already know this but it might be what you want.

Yeah do have it there tbh :) just thought it'd be nice to have them separate.

Guest Anil k Solanki
I also tried it yesterday but I'm back on Stir Fry since my proximity sensor doesn't like CM7. That's odd, I downloaded Gapps with ROM Manager but flashed with Clockwork manually and it's fine.

Hi k0zmic, like a dumb-ass I wasn't looking in the right folder for the Google apps .zip. Anyway I Flashed Nightly 122, and then the Google apps. But I had the same problem I had with RC 7.1, every time I tried a different launcher, it would download then reboot whilst installing. Oh well, been there done that now. Will stick with GSF, I have had zero issues with it.

Anil.

Guest k0zmic
Yeah do have it there tbh :) just thought it'd be nice to have them separate.

I know what you mean, the status bar at the bottom doesn't feel very natural.

Guest Pondlife
I know what you mean, the status bar at the bottom doesn't feel very natural.

I've got used to that mostly, but only as I have a white pixel on the status bar if it's at the top and it irritates me after a while. :)

-----------

Don't understand your keyboard problem Anil, immediately got rid of adw for launcherpro mind you I did get it back from titanium rather than downloading it thinking about it. Was it just launchers downloading that made it crash? Seems rather odd.

Hmm downloaded regina 3d launcher and seems to be fine. Actually looks rather nice especially the planks background, though app drawer doesn't like to show me any of the pages of apps after the first.

Guest Anil k Solanki
Don't understand your keyboard problem Anil, immediately got rid of adw for launcherpro mind you I did get it back from titanium rather than downloading it thinking about it. Was it just launchers downloading that made it crash? Seems rather odd.

Hmm downloaded regina 3d launcher and seems to be fine. Actually looks rather nice especially the planks background, though app drawer doesn't like to show me any of the pages of apps after the first.

Hi, yeah it was just the launchers that rebooted the phone. I downloaded another app and it came down fine, launched it, played with it for 30 secs then dumped it. I tried both ADW & Go Launcher EX, both rebooted my phone. No problem, GSF works great thanks to the folks on here.

Anil xxx

Guest Anil k Solanki
Doesn't it come with ADW?

There was a preference panel for ADW, but I couldn't find the app installed. Perhaps it's baked into the ROM? Maybe, regardless Go Launcher EX, which is my strongly preferred launcher wouldn't install. So it's a no go for me without Go Launcher EX.

Anil.