A better kernel for Swedish Spring?

Guest Puzzles

Guest Puzzles

Hi,

I'm now using Swedish Spring on my Gen1 San Francisco and I'm quite happy with it. The only bad side is that it seems not to be good enough for games (Cyanogenmod Sunshine is way better) as it lags, especially in Fruit Ninja. So I'm asking - is there a better kernel for games on a Gen1 phone? I would really like to play Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and any other game without the lag.

Other than that, SS is perfect.

Edited by Puzzles

Guest k0zmic

Have you tried the alternative kernels in the first post of SS like th Comviq one? They supposedly help with Angry Birds lag.

Guest Puzzles

I stated twice that my phone is a Gen1. These kernels are for Gen2 phones only. But will certainly try the alternative one that is (supposedly) for Gen1.

Guest Puzzles

Um well... OK.

I haven't seen a rooting application for Gingerbread. I want to unroot it - just to be sure.

And Fruit Ninja particularly used to work perfectly on the stock Orange ROM.

Edited by Puzzles

Guest k0zmic

Just use one of Wbaw's excellent TPT's, no need to root. Gen 2 and a Gingerbread ROM of your choice in one hit. You can also downgrade to Gen 1 if you need to.

Guest Puzzles
Just use one of Wbaw's excellent TPT's, no need to root. Gen 2 and a Gingerbread ROM of your choice in one hit. You can also downgrade to Gen 1 if you need to.

I know, but most ROMs come already rooted.

Edited by Puzzles

Guest villor
I know, but most ROMs come already rooted.

Yeah, but most ROMs also has Superuser installed. It works like UAC on Windows 7/vista. No applications can gain root access without you permitting it.

Guest k0zmic
Most of the 2.2 ROMs in fact. Swedish Spring, the stock ROMs...

When I was on SS with a Gen 2 phone the Market worked fine.

Guest shmizan
Most of the 2.2 ROMs in fact. Swedish Spring, the stock ROMs...

I wonder how people reach such far out and stupid conclusions.

do you really think such ROMs would be so popular if they didn't have Market working?

Guest Puzzles
I wonder how people reach such far out and stupid conclusions.

do you really think such ROMs would be so popular if they didn't have Market working?

Please do not flame when you do not know what I'm talking about.

Market does not work with converted Gen2 devices...

Guest k0zmic

By converted do you mean Gen 1 to Gen 2 devices?

Guest ufoman

Maybe it does not work if your IMEI got destroyed in the process? I've converted my Blade to GEN2 using Windows flasher, my IMEI is intact and I can use Market all right...

Guest Puzzles
Maybe it does not work if your IMEI got destroyed in the process? I've converted my Blade to GEN2 using Windows flasher, my IMEI is intact and I can use Market all right...

No, it did not. But I used the TPT method.

Edited by Puzzles

Guest k0zmic
I've converted my Blade to GEN2 using Windows flasher, my IMEI is intact and I can use Market all right...

Same as well, usually the problems with Market on Gen 2 are because the cache partition is too small so downloads get stuck at 'starting download' or w.e.

Guest Puzzles
Same as well, usually the problems with Market on Gen 2 are because the cache partition is too small so downloads get stuck at 'starting download' or w.e.

That's precisely what happens to me. Any idea how to adjust the cache partition?

Guest k0zmic
That's precisely what happens to me. Any idea how to adjust the cache partition?

Ahh, I believe you have to repartition using the TPT's, choose one with a 15MB Cache. But since I didn't use the TPT method I don't know much about it myself other than what I've read so do get second opinion.

Guest flshg

Dont all the newer roms use RAM as cache i.e. SS, CM7, GSF? I dont think the cache size is the problem, the OP probably has some other issue thats causing the market problems. If using a 'real' cache partition is preferred, then 15mb is probably too small as there are apps that are greater than that size.

Guest snowbord

The problem lies in the cache size. I have flashed 2 blades, one an orange one like yours, first gen, and one a gen 2, Z3, from Globul, which I'm sure you're aware of. :blink:

Market works fine on both converted Orange gen1 to gen2 in SS, as well as the gen2 Z3.

I have used this rom on stock gen1 and gen2 partitions, as well as 2mb cache resized ones, which you can get here;

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ded-gen2-blade/

and

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...n2-tpt-upgrade/

SS is a pretty good ROM, but I'm trying to max out my battery, hence am in the process of trying FLB, supposedly to get better battery. Since I resized my partitions, I am now experiencing the cache problems => Market fails. Again, if you have stock partition sizes, Market in SS works fine. As numerous posters have stated - SS mounts to data/cache/ and does it's thing there, hence does not run into Market problems.

My request is to find info on how to get the best size partition or an alternative solution to get FLB working well. I'm at this point, so if anyone has tips on good partitioning solutions, let me know.

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/335...gen1/page/220/#

Furthermore, chill. :huh:

Edited by snowbord

Guest Puzzles
The problem lies in the cache size. I have flashed 2 blades, one an orange one like yours, first gen, and one a gen 2, Z3, from Globul, which I'm sure you're aware of. :huh:

Market works fine on both converted Orange gen1 to gen2 in SS, as well as the gen2 Z3.

I have used this rom on stock gen1 and gen2 partitions, as well as 2mb cache resized ones, which you can get here;

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ded-gen2-blade/

and

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...n2-tpt-upgrade/

SS is a pretty good ROM, but I'm trying to max out my battery, hence am in the process of trying FLB, supposedly to get better battery. Since I resized my partitions, I am now experiencing the cache problems => Market fails. Again, if you have stock partition sizes, Market in SS works fine. As numerous posters have stated - SS mounts to data/cache/ and does it's thing there, hence does not run into Market problems.

My request is to find info on how to get the best size partition or an alternative solution to get FLB working well. I'm at this point, so if anyone has tips on good partitioning solutions, let me know.

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/335...gen1/page/220/#

Furthermore, chill. :)

I'm aware of GLOBUL Z3 of course. It's sold in our country after all :blink: I don't have it though.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Will try to experiment from now on.

BTW I tried to flash the GLOBUL Z3 ROM to my SF. Again, the market did not work. Everything else did.